5.0 out of 5 stars Yo ho ho, and a bottle of rum!
Published on September 8, 2007 by Joseph Boone

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware - this version is heavily abridged.
Please note: This title is heavily abridged and aimed at children but, the Amazon title doesn't tell you this. From the inside cover of the book:

Published on July 9, 2012 by Bob Hoskins

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware - this version is heavily abridged., July 9, 2012
This review is from: Treasure Island (Hardcover)

"This Great classic for Children by Dalmation press has been carefully condensed and adapted from the original version ... We kept the well-known phrases for you. We kept the author's style. And we kept the important imagery and heart of the tale."

With its large font and many illustrations the book comes out to 181 pages; whereas, the Sterling Classic unabridged with its regular sized font and no illustrations comes out to 232 pages. This gives an indication of how condensed this version is.

This one has its place as a kids version and should be clearly marked as such.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yo ho ho, and a bottle of rum!, September 8, 2007
Joseph Boone (Irvine, CA United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (2008 HOLIDAY TEAM)    (REAL NAME)
Treasure Island is perhaps THE classic pirate's tale. Robert Louis Stevenson, the author, created a rich story of adventure and treachery on the high seas all seen through the eyes of a boy named Jim Hawkins. Jim starts off as the son of tavern owners in a humble little port village. When an old seaman stays at the tavern, trouble soon follows him in the form of a pirate crew seeking revenge. I will not give away any more specific plot points, but events move forward to a great treasure hunt, treachery, and a surprisingly engaging story for adults as well as children.

Jim Hawkins is the hero of the story and he's a good lad with a stout heart. Long John Silver is the real star, however, and his character is a fascinating character study in moral ambiguity... or perhaps a study in amoral perfection. The pirate language is good and thick but this edition has plenty of notes to help you decipher some of the references that have become too obscure for today's readers. The plot moves along very briskly with no wasted scenes.

In short, Treasure Island well deserves its status as a beloved classic. It's a story of suspense and adventure that can be enjoyed at a child's level, but has substance for adults as well. I would recommend without reserve it to virtually anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yow!!!, August 21, 1999
By A Customer
How can you even review the ultimate pirate book of all time? I read it when I was 9 and loved it. I read it again when I was 34 and loved it again! (Actually, I read it several times between, as well.) Long John Silver is arguably one of the most Macchiavellian characters you will ever find between the covers of a book. (I'm mainly reviewing it to raise the average rating. Anyone who thinks this book is boring has to have a screw loose!) From the arrival of the mysterious Billy Bones, to the attack on the inn, to the sea voyage, to the mutiny, to the battle for the island, to the treasure hunt, even to the final fate of John Silver, this book is a stunning rollercoaster of suspense and adventure! I'd give it ten stars if I could.
Here's a bit of information you other readers might enjoy: the meaning of the pirates' song--
Fifteen men on a dead man's chest Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!
The real-life pirate, Edward Teach (Blackbeard the Pirate) once marooned 15 of his men on a small island named Dead Man's Chest. He put them ashore with no weapons, equipment or supplies--just a bottle of rum.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, April 7, 2008
Homeschool Mom (Washington State USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Treasure Island (Hardcover)
I have a copy of this as well as the one with Wyeth illustrations. I prefer this for the kids as there are more illustrations throughout the book, it is a bit larger and pages printed to give a parchment look. The quality of the illustrations is outstanding. This is a beautiful book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book to introduce classics to young readers, January 19, 2012
Robert Ingpen's illustrations greatly assist young readers in understanding this classic of 19th century literature. There are 70 brilliant watercolor illustrations appropriately scattered throughout the book which greatly assist young readers in following the story line. The book itself is of excellent quality and perhaps the best choice you could make as a gift or keepsake for the $14 price at amazon. The amazon guidance is for readers of 10 and up and i would warn that this age level is largely subjective and depends on the reading level of the child. Perhaps 12 or 13 would be more appropriate for most kids. As parents may recall, the book is filled with nautical terms (its about 18th century pirates after all) with which very young children of today may be unfamiliar. This particular book is a great opportunity though to read it aloud with a 10 year old child and therby being present to answer any questions. Wikipedia's online glossary of nautical terms would also be a helpful reference for a pre-teen reader while reading this book. By all means though i highly recommend this attractive and brilliantly illustrated book as an excellent learning experience for kids.

3.0 out of 5 stars Better for a early reader, February 21, 2012
I evaluated three series of abridged/paraphrased classics: Great Illustrated Classics, Stepping Stones, and Classic Starts. I specifically read Treasure Island in all three versions, but also evaluated the Jungle Book and other stories in at least two of the versions.

Great Illustrated Classics is in between the others in length and complexity of sentence structures. It's not as easy to read as Stepping Stones but offers a slightly better story by virtue of more adjectives, adverbs and clauses in the sentence structure. The language is still more basic than Classic Starts, and the story suffers some because detail is left out that would embellish it. GIC may be the best series for children readers.

Personally, I bought the books intending to read to my kingergarten age children, rather than have them read. We found the Classic Starts to have by far the best versions of the stories, notwithstanding the originals which are just too long for us, in language that is hard to be understood.

So far, with the children, we finished Call of the Wild, are half-way through the Jungle Book, and started Treasure Island. Previously we've read books like those of Beverly Cleary and the Little House series, besides hundreds of basically picture books (think Virginia Lee Burton, H. A. Rey etc.) The classics have a little bolder story lines, and these abridged series make them more accessible.

Note that the illustrations are poor and don't really add anything. These are just paraphrased classic stories. The illustrations in GIC are the least appealing and not any more frequent than those in Classic Starts. If you want lots of illustrations, try Illustrated Classics (comic book versions). The stories are very poor, but there's lots of illustrations, none of which are fantastic by comparison to a good imagination with an adaquate telling of the story.

I recommend Great Illustrated Classics for the avid chapter book reader. For stories to be read-aloud, I prefer Classic Starts.

5.0 out of 5 stars Adventure! Mutiny! Pirates! Treasure!, January 28, 2007
All four things mentioned above can be found at your fingertips with Robert Louis Stevenson's "Treasure Island." Before Johnny Depp stumbled off of the Black Pearl, before Errol Flynn took us on swashbuckling journeys, and even before "Lucky" Jack Aubrey took to the water, Long John Silver and Jim Hawkins thrilled fans of high-seas adventure. "Treasure Island" tells the story of one young Jim Hawkins. It starts off in the simple setting of a family-owned inn where we are introduced to Billy Bones, an old seadog who has a secret. After a couple of visits from some strange characters, a confrontation occurs and a treasure map lands into the hands of Hawkins. From there, we set sail on the Hispaniola with Hawkins, the squire Trelawney, Dr. Livesey, the sea cook Silver, and a whole slew of pirates and scoundrels in general. All are after the treasure of Captain Flint, who graciously marked his treasure map with an "X" to show the way to the riches.

This is a wonderful tale of intrigue, double-crossing, greed, and swordplay. Promoted as a children's book, I'm sure that any adult will find this story captivating as well. Robert Louis Stevenson is a literary legend and deserves that honor based on this book alone. However, if you read this book and are interested to read more of Stevenson's work, check out "The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde," "Kidnapped," and "The Black Arrow." He also wrote a number of traveling books which are also fun to read.

Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful edition of a classic adventure!, October 26, 2012
This fantastic edition has a velvety-to-the-touch black hardcover with Wyeth's art emblazoned on the front. The illustrations inside have been given new life with vibrant color. The inside front and back covers include enlarged and mono-chromatic illustrations of Long John Silver and company that bleed off the borders. The pages are thick and leafy. This edition of "Treasure" is exactly that--it was made to be durably read over and over again and enjoyed for generations.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, March 31, 2000
I am dumbfounded by the reviews that my peers have given Treasure Island. This book is a masterpiece of children's literature. It has everything one could hope for: action, intrigue, pirates, buried treasure... What more does it need? I, too, read the novel for my class, but it did not put me to sleep at all. Instead I couldn't put it down and had to read by flashlight after my Mom made me turn out my lights. It was incredible. Long John Silver is a creepy guy! As for the other reviewers who are my age, I hope you adults do not judge my generation by their ignorance and unwillingness to accept anything without man eating dinosurs. Treasure Island is an excellent novel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tops the Stiffest Yarn to Nothing!, August 14, 2005
I had already tried reading my copy of this book when I was far younger, but I was not as avid a reader as I am these days. Recently, parted from my copy, I picked up an old nondescript hardcover of Treasure Island at the library to complete the book in its entirety.

I found the first half of the book highly enjoyable, one that I recalled warmly as I re-read it. But as the book progressed, I was astounded at how difficult the reading was becoming; the pirate slang and their use of strange metaphors obviously grew proportionate to the amount of pirates in the scene. In one of the few moments of humor, the hero Hawkins even says, "`Well,' I said, `I don't understand one word that you've been saying. But that's neither here nor there[...].'" The dialects makes the book that much more realistic; in my mind, however, I wonder if children reading this book fully comprehend it, or were they simply smarter in the 19th century? After spoiling myself with easy modern thrillers, I had to hunker down and really concentrate my efforts in trying to understand the subtext. The rough slang slowed my reading down greatly, but increased my enjoyment. And, of course, having finally completed the book and knowing the true story, my re-read in a few years will be thrice as good!

In 1881, while vacationing in Scotland, Stevenson painted an island with his stepson which became the inspiration for the novel. He soon wrote 15 chapters, and completed the rest in Switzerland at the rate of one chapter a day. It was finally published as an entire novel in 1883.

Stevenson throws together goods that have become legendary in pirate lore: Pirates with fantastic names, like Captain Flint, Billy Bones, Black Dog, Pew, Israel Hands (based on the real-life member of Blackbeard's crew), and the now-infamous Long John Silver, himself with a parrot on his shoulder; a single treasure map that has three red crosses (designating two piles of treasure, one pile of arms); a beautiful schooner that's put through its paces; a 23 member crew (excluding Jim Hawkins, Doctor Livesey, and Squire Trelawney), most of whom become gentlemen of fortune; mutiny; double-crosses; the shanty "15 men on a Dead Man's chest/Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum"; the notorious Jolly Roger; spirits, superstition, and lore; and even a skeleton or two.

Treasure Island actually refers to the fictitious Skeleton Island---perhaps an inspiration for the children's book The Secret of Skeleton Island (1966)---, a sweltering jungle in the day and eerily submerged in mists in the early mornings. A strange coincidence I found led me to some interesting finds. Stevenson named an anchorage point after the pirate Captain Kidd. In 1935, Harold T. Wilkins published a book entitled "New Facts about Mysterious Captain Kidd and his Skeleton Island Chests," in which can be found one of Kidd's treasure maps. Two years after Wilkins's book was published a treasure hunter found an uncanny resemblance between this "Skeleton Island" and Oak Island in Nova Scotia, Canada. Oak Island's impervious Water Pit is purportedly where Captain Kidd buried part of his treasure before being hanged in 1701 (the Pit is also the main inspiration for the 1998 novel Riptide). In a twist worthy of Robinson himself, despite Kidd's map uncovering some of Oak Island's mysteries, Wilkins eventually stepped forward to admit his maps were fabricated. But was Stevenson alluding to Kidd's connection with Oak Island?

Treasure Island is an adventurous classic I heartily recommend anyone to read. I personally advocate reading the book if you're older, or re-reading it, to fully enjoy the environment created through the striking language. A fantastic aid in understanding pirate slang is the online Encyclopaedia Piratica. While you're at it, go to any map engine and plug in the latitude and longitude found at the end of Chapter 6, "The Captain's Papers," to see where Billy Bones claimed booty!

Treasure Island
Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson (Paperback - July 1, 2010)
$8.95