Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Treasure of La Malinche Volume 2 (The Legacy of La Malinche)
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Melvins Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on February 20, 2009
With outrageous characters and plot devices that push the edge of credibility - There is a Spanish Countess who plans on subverting Mexican Politics and thereby have herself instated as the hieratical Empress of Mexico - this reader started to feel that he was traveling through one long "I Love Lucy" episode . . . and that's the beauty.

The scheme's are hair-brained, the action somewhat slapstick and the humor infectious.
I wasn't sure whether or not to cheer the main characters, as they were riddled with defects of integrity and honor, but I couldn't help being engrossed in they're exploits.

This comically tense tale of misadventure is only half the story.
Between each chapter, is the much more serious accounting of Princess Malintzin Tenepal's (known as La Malinche) life, under fire during the sacking of Mexico by Spaniard Conquistador; Cortes.

Radio broadcasts from a public and radically controversial Mexican radio, sprinkled liberally throughout the narrative, rounds out the experience.

Strong themes dealing with the mistreatment of women throughout history as well as racism, national pride, sexual abuse and police brutality are all handled expertly, enhancing but never overwhelming the story.

I recommend you take the road to Mexico, know La Malinche, and see if you can discover her treasure.
on May 12, 2009
I thought Vol. 1 was excellent, but Vol. 2 was even better. I think I read it twice as fast.

Dona Marina's story continues in this volume in the form of a diary. Although little is known of Dona Marina's fate, Mr. Hepple makes some very plausible assumptions that I accepted as real, even though I knew better. It was an entertaining continuation of her memoirs, and one that fit in well with the modern story.

The adventures of Linc and Maggie continue, but there is more time given to character development and other people that touch their lives.

You must read Vol. 1 first, but after you do, you won't be able to keep yourself from jumping straight into Vol. 2.
on June 26, 2012
I truly enjoyed this historical fiction in 2 books. I lived in Mexico for many years and was always interested in its history. The author obviously did a lot of research in that the historical accounts are quite believable. He also included near-current events which made the story very very interesting. I give it a rating of 4 stars, only because some parts of the book (mostly inBook # 2) there are typo errors and the writing didn't seem to flow very well. But its a page turner and kept me up a lot of nights.
on May 18, 2012
I remain very enthusiastic about Vol 1, but Vol 2 - not so much. The same characters but different objectives. While a must read for those who read Vol 1, to me it read like a forced sequel lacking a single direction. There is a theme that is somewhat clear, but so many side trips between the beginning and end that I took as filler, lacking the direct focus of Vol 1. Perhaps it's just me but I am a fan of treasure hunt books with the clues and traps as shown in Vol 1, yet lacking in Vol 2. Because Vol 1 leaves you wanting more, I still recommend it and gave it 4 stars because it is still better than average.
on January 19, 2010
Revisiting our friends from The Treasure of La Malinche Volume 1, this book has a distinctly different feel. Instead of looking to the past, this looks to a possible future. It is a page turning, wild ride and excellently brought together.
on January 10, 2009
The Treasure of La Malinche Vol. 2. This picks up where vol 1 left off. Since this is a continuation and not the second of a series, vol 1 MUST be read to understand the plot and characters. As in the first volume, this book jumps between the memoirs of La Malinche and the "main" storyline, which, once you get used to it, provides an excellent vehicle for background information and as a secondary plot line. I don't want to give away anything about this very enjoyable book, so suffice it to say that I found myself reluctant to set it down. If you enjoy historical fiction, you'll find this to be a welcome addition to your library.

Now, if I enjoyed this so much, why didn't I give it a five star rating? It's not the author's fault. There are a few problems with the translation to the Kindle version - very small, but for some reason my eye picks them up. For example, a couple of times it appears that in the translation the "rn" combination was rendered as "m" (or maybe it was the other way around). Absolutely nothing that detracts from the story itself, just something that my eye picked up and caused a "stutter", if you will, in my reading.
on February 26, 2009
A continuum of Vol I that you must pick up to finish the whole story of The Treasure of La Malinche. It is just as fast paced and filled with as much adventure as the first, but also gives you the finality of the story.

This was my second book to read on my Kindle. It is a page-turner for sure. The history, the action, the adventure will keep you up nights to finish the story.

I loved the fact that it was two time periods in one story. The flow of the current blended so well with the past that it continued into a smooth transition of a story line. The author really made this flow smoothly which is usually hard to accomplish.

If you have a taste for Spanish adventure, this is the book to read next. It is filled with suspense, mystery, action and adventure...the characters are like friends who you will find authentic. The history is amazing and the author takes you into the time periods of the story as if you were there.

One word of warning...these books are enough to make even this 'sailor' blush.

Pick this up for your next read, you will be as enthralled as I was.
on January 30, 2009
After finishing Vol 1, I jumped right into Vol 2. The characters were just as compelling as the first book, even more so. Link and Maggie carry the story, but, along the way you meet some very interesting friends and relatives that complete the story and keep you on your toes as the adventure unfolds.
Not many people think what comes beyond finding a hidden treasure and this book make you think about your priorities and life goals. You find that maybe what you were searching for is not worth it or is it that you need to change your mind about why you are searching for it and what you need to change in order to be worth it. Then again maybe it always was right in front of you all the time and you just didn't reach for it.
When all is said and done, have you lived your life to the fullest.

I really enjoyed The Treasure of La Malinche, both of them and I highly recommend them.
Sondi
on December 30, 2012
This book is a fun romp with strange and interestingly horrible people. I love this guilty pleasure and hope they make it into a movie.
on June 20, 2012
This was a very interesting book, and I had a hard time putting it down. The plot was very believable and informative.