on September 29, 2010
This dvd is hard to find, yet it is a gem. Set in a Switzerland village, with lovely châlets, snow capped mountains, and jagged
ravines; this back drop is ripe for love, forgiveness, and struggling inside an alpine hamlet=(small country village). It is
interesting how the story here starts and ends alike.

Lucien, a ladd of 13 or so, likes to tease his neighbours Annette and Danny, like any other boy would. Annette gave him a bit
of a smack. He threw a rock at her. Soon, he teased little Danny, and such a tragic accident occurred that Lucien could not
forgive himself for, it seemed.

So he befriends an old wood-carver, in a châlet up the mountain side, whom also has his own set of haunts. This pair actually
help each other more than they realise. Lucien learns the wood-carver's secrets with his help. The old gentleman learns rather
quickly Lucien's heartrending story - which made him want to help the ladd.

The closeness of the hamlet folks is relevant in his case, and he tries his hardest to gain forgiveness and love through his
works. This failing to reach Annette and the other children, makes him depressed and tries to work harder. Annette's nice
grandmother, notices a change about her, and tries her best to encourage her to do what she knows is best. Yet she wants to
get back at Lucien, to punish him; in doing this, she ends up hurting herself, her brother, dad and grandmother, and leaves
out the Lord too.

Through a nice set of twists and turns, love, and forgiveness lay over the "pass" in the mountains. Interesting turn of events
sets Annette in a different tone, as well as the old gentleman too. The power of the Lord to forgive mankind, and the power of
forgiveness towards each other: bringing reconciliation, peace, and harmony. This is a very nice message of forgiveness and
loving kindness. This is one great film for the family! If you like the book by Patricia St. John, then you will probably like
this family-friendly program. We highly recommend it.
on December 18, 2009
It's been YEARS since I saw this movie on a vhs captured from some tv broadcast. Surprised me completely.

The characters are portryed so believbly.... no, really. Even with the dubbing into English, (by the way - very well done) these youths do a surpurb job of 'being' the usual Alpine citizens.

European Mountain country... Switzerland - Austria - Poland - Northern France - who knows? Who cares? regarding the dress one would assume either Austria or Switzerland.

Children from the village/town school in the valley at the bottom of mountains. Up on the mountain they live.... Waaaaayyyyy up there.

Main girl character about eleven or twelve with her sibling (I don't remember if it was a little brother or sister) go back home from school one afternoon. The sibling has a pet kitten.

Enter boy schoolmate, a peer or maybe next grade or so up. This is the main boy character. Our main girl character is aloof to this young fellow so to show off, he teases the sibling by taking the kitten and holding it over the mountain's edge. Unnnnnnfortunatly the sibling rushes to rescue his kitten but right over the edge and gone.

"Uh Oh.... What've I done?" Terrified at his own sin and really overcome by guilt and realization that he has caused a reallllllllly baaaaaad thing, the boy runs away and hides in the barn. This kid is only about twelve or thirteen. He is discovered by family and with a little coaxing he tearfully confesses that he has killed the sibling. A little more demand of explanation to get the particulars and the Papa, a youngish middle aged healthy alpine arian grabs a coil of rope and goes to the rescue.

Actually the sibling has landed on a ledge but is hurt - badly. Even after doctoring, this child will have parts in a cast and will be a long time recovering.

Our girl character's daily activities round out the rest of the story.

The boy protagonist is not only remorseful but now he has the whole village/town's angst to deal with. Of course he seeks solitude on the mountainside. At least in solitude there will be no one around to condem any more than he as already done himself.... Taking out a pocket kinife he whittles out some figurine.

Enter the/an old man of the mountain who is an artist of woodcarving. The old man neither approves nor condems the pitiful boy but offers to simply instruct the lad in his carving talents.

Our broken (in spirit and in heart) boy now has a distraction. He also has a totally objective instructor.

How can he make up for his sin?
How can he even let it be known how very sorry he is?
How can he make amends?
What can he do?
How can he seek forgivness?
Will he ever be able to even like himself again?

THAT becomes the Treasure in the Snow.

Beliveable (sp?) characters portray a very plausable tale.

If you have youts, don't pass up the chance to entertain them with this gem. Even if you don't have youts, this is a well done story.

Noah 8-?
on May 6, 2009
Patricia St.John got to the point. She knows how to touch peoples heart. A marvelous movie for everyone to watch (or if you prefer, to read her book)
on January 24, 2011
My kids 25 & 21 loved this when they were young, and still enjoy it. They recently begged me to find it and buy it. It has not disappointed us. Young kids today need stories like this to help them be good. I wish there were more DVDs with a good message, rather than competitive games.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 6, 2011
I saw this movie for the first time many years ago, and was pleased to find it on Amazon. It's a great family-friendly story of consequences and redemption. The story is set in the scenic Alps and we enjoy watching it annually.
on November 13, 2011
I first saw this on television when I was a teenager, it must have been 1984 or 85. I'm 45 now. The movie always stuck with me, just the way the boy Lucien redeems himself. What a great scene: him skiing over the mountains in the snow, in the dark. THe scenery in this movie is amazing, it's made me want to visit Switzerland for ages!

Sure, there's some Bible/Jesus in the movie. I'm not Christian and I was fine with it. The theme of forgiveness is a human thing, not any particular religion. Or maybe it's all religions. It's a wonderful movie, with good acting, nice undateable music, and incredible scenery. So glad to have it on DVD!
on March 2, 2015
I had heard this as a radio presentation every Christmas for the past several years. This year I thought I would see if I could find an "audio book" of the story. When I went to find it, I discovered there was actually a video of the story. The only issue I had was the radio "adapted" version used different voices for the characters and it seemed much more realistic than the video. However, it was still an excellent video and they held pretty closely (pretty much) to the original story line.
on February 15, 2013
Excellent family movie! This movie premiered on HBO during the 80s. It has a wonderful storyline that will hold children's attention while teaching a valuable lesson in forgiveness. My seven and ten year old really enjoyed the movie. If you like to read, the book is just as appealing. The book starts off with the birth of Dani and will give you a few more details.This is a DVD that is worth adding to your collection--a good, wholesome and entertaining movie.
on January 28, 2015
I have had this movie in VHS form for year but needed to update to DVD.
I have loved this movie for years and now will play for my great grandchildren.
An excellent example on so many levels to illustrate moral values and at the same time
forgiveness as Christ has shown us in His Word. Thank you.
on February 16, 2014
I had it shipped far away where I currently live, because I missed it so much! Glad it came out in DVD. Based on a novel, well acted, beautiful scenery, a story of faith and forgiveness for children of all ages. Parents be ready to discuss this with your kids at the dinner table...