5.0 out of 5 stars Research Based Clarity

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, August 13, 2012
Brad Pokorny (Menomonee Falls, WI United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Treatment Alternatives For Children (Paperback)
I was anxious to read this book, there is a need for holistic health education. I was very disappointed after reading this book,though, as the scope is very limited. Most suggestions for "treatment" only included one primary recommendation with possible mention of a few others. The suggestions were often very specific items, most often a manufacturer's products. One of the reasons people seek alternative therapies is to get away from the cycle of drugs and side effects, not to trade one manufacturer's product for another, even if they are "natural".

This book is probably fine for someone who has never been introduced to alternative therapies before and just wants to buy a product targeted at a specific issue or to gain general information about what might be available in the natural health market. But for anyone who has explored other holistic therapies it will not be as useful. There was an interesting section at the back with lists of top 10: foods, herbs, homeopathic remedies, essential oils, but it seemed the authors were trying to cover far too much ground by mentioning these items and giving a brief description of what they are. While there was mention of many elements in these top 10 categories, it only included a brief paragraph describing what it is rather than practical, hands-on usage.

I have found Prescription for Nutritional Healing to be a far more comprehensive resource with many specific recommendations for health issues including supplements, herbs and alternative therapies including adjustments for children. I've used this resource for many years in our family with 6 kids.

5.0 out of 5 stars Research Based Clarity, August 11, 2012
This review is from: Treatment Alternatives For Children (Paperback)
I enjoy giving new parents gifts of items that I have found indispensable in raising my own daughter. Well this book is a treasure that will now be at the top of that list! It is brilliantly written for parents, grandparents, interested aunts and uncles, and medical professionals alike. Organized in a way that makes the answers to your questions easily accessible, it is missing the unnecessary jargon of many 'how to' parenting and health care books out there.

Once you have identified the ailment you want to learn more about, the authors do an exceptional job of organizing the information into three simple to use categories: the conventional treatment, the alternative treatment (both complete with common dosages and side effects), and a brief evidenced based rational for Dr. Rosen's recommendations. A bonus section on other natural treatments to consider is the icing. Of special interest to me is that it includes a chapter on Behavioral and Developmental Difficulties, which gives you a nice glimpse into the most common drug based conventional approaches and some of the alternatives you can consider. I can't wait to see what the authors do with a follow up to this chapter! Ah, and don't miss the appendixes! Toxins to be very aware of, Top ten treatment lists like essential oils, foods, herbs, etc. The list goes on...

The book is written fairly, clearly, simply and to the point. You are invited to study your options and develop an educated opinion as to what will suit you and your family the best. It's everything you need to get started on a path of prevention, using the best that the integration of western and alternative medicine has to offer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Phenomenal book for parents and practitioners alike!, September 13, 2012
Megan B. Caffrey (Glen Rock, NJ United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Treatment Alternatives For Children (Paperback)
The greatest gift we can give our children is the gift of health.As a certified Holistic Pediatric Nurse Practitioner and new mother myself, this book quickly became my best resource. My bookshelves are bursting with healthcare books, in particular those of the holistic sort. I pass over every last one of them now, and reach for this guide time and time again. It includes everything from conventional treatments for common illnesses to more holistic methods such as dietary changes and homeopathy. Empower yourself with the knowledge of the healing arts and learn to strengthen your child's immune system and treat their illnesses through the use of nutrition, homeopathic remedies, yoga and acupuncture. I am gifting this to every parent and colleague I know. An absolutely fantastic, must-have resource!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book on holistic pediatrics since The Holistic Pediatrician, August 8, 2012
Nature Mom (North America) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Treatment Alternatives For Children (Paperback)
Dr. Rosen is not only knowledgeable and kind, but his experience and respect for parents and children has resulted in an extraordinary wisdom that he generously shares without imposing untested dogma. No wonder he has become a respected national leader in the field of integrative pediatrics. I recommend this book to Pediatricians, nurses, and other clinicians as well as parents. 5 stars!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Must-have book for all parents!, August 7, 2012
This review is from: Treatment Alternatives For Children (Paperback)
Whether you are holistically minded or not, this must-have for parents will soon become your go-to guide for peace of mind. Rosen and Cohen's work easily cuts through the myths, hype, and contradictory information parents face when helping their children through health challenges. From constipation to bruised knees this easy-to-read, easy-to use resource will empower parents to work with their doctors effectively to raise healthy children. Carrie Donegan, co-author, Essential Oils 101

5.0 out of 5 stars Take control of your child's health!, August 13, 2012
This review is from: Treatment Alternatives For Children (Paperback)
This book is essential for EVERY parent to have. It gives sensible and practical information for alternative remedies for just about anything you can think of. It contains an easy-to-read format and is backed up not only by research, but parents who have actually tried the alternatives! Dr. Rosen should be applauded for breaking the mold of everyday pediatricians and assisting parents in taking control of their children's health! Thank you for such a wonderful book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to follow, great treatment recommendations for the whole family, August 10, 2012
This review is from: Treatment Alternatives For Children (Paperback)
I am so happy to see the conventional remedies side by side with the alternative treatments as Dr Rosen discusses them with us during our visits. He is the smartest and most dedicated doctor who is extremely knowledgeable about the natural alternatives that work. Dr. Rosen shares our philosophy and is also open to listening to parents concerns and works with them to find the best solution whether conventional or alternative. We liked him so much we were willing to drive one hour (each way) with our newborn to have him be our child's pediatrician. This will be our treatment reference book for the whole family. I highly recommend this to everyone. Thank you for your advice, for your wonderful staff and for this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have for all families !, August 9, 2012
This review is from: Treatment Alternatives For Children (Paperback)
This book is truly fantastic. There are so many holistic and natural remedies for our children that traditional medical practices just do not recognize. The layout of this book is so easy to reference, and covers everything from bed-wetting to ADHD. Parental Guidance, side-by-side treatment options with side effects and what "science says", gives all the necessary information for parents to take control of their child's treatment and care with an educated decision. The book helps us look at alternatives and gives parents comfort that there is in fact "evidenced based practice " to support holistic medicine. For example, my grandmother always used olive oil to relieve an earache after swimming. In the modern world this is viewed as an "old wives take" when in actuality olive oil shares the same chemical properties as anti-inflammatory drugs. As a speech pathologist, I especially enjoyed the recommendations for supplementation to support therapeutic services, and will be sharing this book with many of the families I work with. Finally the top ten treatment lists in this book are amazing. I was proud that I already had every oil in my medicine cabinet, but then again I also have the pleasure of having Dr. Rosen as my own son's pediatrician. He is amazing so I am not at all surprised that the book is as well. Thank you Dr. Rosen and Jeff Cohen for making this book available to all of us !

5.0 out of 5 stars An essential addition to your book shelf!, September 14, 2012
This review is from: Treatment Alternatives For Children (Paperback)
Treatment Alternatives For Children is an excellent resource for both healthcare providers and parents. It is an easy read with a wealth of information.Everyone on my holiday gift list is receiving a copy!

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent introduction for parents, September 11, 2012
This review is from: Treatment Alternatives For Children (Paperback)
I really enjoyed reading through this book and will recommend it to friends and clients who need a trusted resource to guide them through the world of natural remedies. Even with a few years of parenting under my own belt, if I come across a new condition in my kids, this book will definitely be my first stop to hear Dr. Rosen's suggestions for an alternative treatment. I appreciated the way the authors explained the potential side effects of both conventional and alternative remedies. It created an unbiased approach that I think will be helpful to parents who are new to the world of natural approaches - or a helpful tool for parents to offer their spouses or family members who may be cautious to trust if an alternative approach is safe or effective. I think the language and approach used really helps to keep the conversation about natural remedies calm and informative.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xa6187174)

Treatment Alternatives For Children
Treatment Alternatives For Children by Jeff Cohen (Paperback - August 7, 2012)
$19.95 $14.73