5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely love my Trekdesk!
I have been waiting for months for the Trekdesk to be released. I ordered mine minutes after receiving the email that it was available to order (I was on the waitlist). I had lofty expectations for this product. Now that I have been using it for a few days I can safely report that Trekdesk has met all my expecations. I am thrilled with my new office routine...
Published on October 8, 2009 by J. Rogers

2.0 out of 5 stars Why I Returned My Trek Desk
Customer Video Review     Length:: 1:27 Mins
I am writing this review while walking on a treadmill - but the desk is no longer a Trek Desk.
Published on February 9, 2011 by Dr A

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely love my Trekdesk!, October 8, 2009
J. Rogers (Sacramento, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: TrekDesk Treadmill Desk (Sports)
I have been waiting for months for the Trekdesk to be released. I ordered mine minutes after receiving the email that it was available to order (I was on the waitlist). I had lofty expectations for this product. Now that I have been using it for a few days I can safely report that Trekdesk has met all my expecations. I am thrilled with my new office routine!

Let me start with the bad to get it out of the way. I am nit-picking here. These are fairly minor complaints.
THE BAD:

- Assembly instructions could be more helpful. It took me 45 minutes to assemble the desk, although I admitedly am not much of a handyman. Others could probably assemble it in half that time. The instructions were detailed, but do not have drawings/pictures which would have been very helful to me. The video helped some, but I wish it also was more detailed in showing assembly steps. I was surprised at the number of parts to assemble...and the number of screws. It would be helpful to have the different size screws in separate bags instead of all in one bag.

- Difficulty accessing the treadmill control panel under the Trekdesk. I believe Trekdesk recommends a treadmill with a side panel instead of the panel in front. However, my treadmill has the front panel, which sits under the Trekdesk. I can't see the treadmill display without performing gymnastic contortions. Also, must reach under the Trekdesk to press the start/stop buttons on the treadmill. However, after a few hours I was used to the routine. I haven't changed the speed or incline on the treadmill since the first day anyway, so no need to have easy access to the control panel.

- cord control. They should add features for tying down cords somewhere. Between the computer, monitor, phone, printer, etc....lots of cords running from the desk.

- Not a full-time desk. I found that I like to alternate between a chair and the treadmill during the day. I work/walk for a couple hours and then spend a half hour sitting at the desk. However, I have only been using the treadmill for 2 days and noticed that today I spent a lot more time on the treadmill than I did the first day. Ok, you have probably guessed I am not the picture of fitness (yet).

Now for all the good stuff...
THE GOOD:
- solid construction. When I ordered I was a little worried this would be a cheap product because the price was a fraction of other treadmill workstations. However, I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the desk when unpacking the box.

- packaging. Speaking of unpacking..no way this desk will be damaged during shipping. All parts are fit into layers of custom-molded styrofoam.

- video tutorial for assembling.

- adjustable height. I am 6' 3, and the Trekdesk fits me perfectly when I am on the treadmill. I could still raise it a couple more inches if I wanted to.

- customer service. I emailed customer service with a question and received a response and helpful instructions within an hour.

- large desk. Plenty or room for a work area, even with a laptop docked and a monitor/keyboard/mouse.

- the best news of all is that it works! I feel great during and after work. I have been working from home for quite some time now, and have been feeling more and more lethargic sitting in my chair all day long. What a difference the Trekdesk makes! I had more energy today at work than I have had in a long time. It only took minutes to get used to walking while typing away at the keyboard or using the mouse. The setup feels quite natural now. I use all the accessories that came with the desk, especially the cup holders. Those are a nice touch. Overall, I have no reservations about recommending the Trekdesk. It has been well worth the purchase price to me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Was skeptical - now a convert!, April 15, 2013
This review is from: TrekDesk Treadmill Desk (Sports)
I purchased my TrekDesk about 6 months ago but it sat in it's box for a few months before I got around to pairing it with the Confidence Power Plus Motorized Electric Treadmill (also bought from Amazon). I was pretty skeptical at first - especially after reviewing the most negative review video.

I work mostly at home as an IT consultant and have lived a very sedentary life as a result and have put on at least 50lbs too much and really needed to make a change in my life. If I was going to do this - I really needed to 1) keep it under budget (we have 5 kids at home etc.) and 2) I needed enough space to hold all my stuff (I use three monitors with my PC) and it had to hold it all steadily. It's now been 8 weeks since I started using my new desk/treadmill and I wanted to tell my experience.

Pre-workout and building courage phase:

Once I received my treadmill I was finally forced to open the box for the desk and to begin to build it. I was pleasantly surprised at the build construction. From the negative video - the guy makes it look like it will fall over and collapse by barely touching it so I remained skeptical still. It took me only about 45 minutes (in total - in between visits from my little guys asking if they can help every 2 min.) I am only 5'8 (got shorter due to paratrooper days in the Army :) and found that I the default height of the lowest setting fit me perfectly. With the treadmill in place I stand very comfortably with my hand easily being able to reach my keyboard and other items I need to use without issue. There is at least enough room to raise it another 10 inches for those less vertically-challenged like me.

I proceeded to move all three of my 27inch LCD monitors, two laptops, a speakerphone and still have plenty of room for water bottles and other misc. stuff that adds up without being too cluttered. In the end, found that not only did I have enough space for all of this, but it was all quite stable (unlike how the guy in the video tries to show you that it is all very unstable and cheap). In short - I am very pleased with the construction. The desk is foldable like a folding table and can be easily moved - love that too.

Now I have my TrekDesk next to my old fat guy desk in my office so I can easily switch as needed.

Now on to actual use..

Week 1: Ouch! My feet are killing me! This will take some time to get used to for sure.. Typing and talking - well not too easy to do at initially. It took me a few days to get used to it if I concentrated. I started off at a speed of 1.0 to get used to things ending at 1.2 for the week. I would run in 30 minutes 'sets' as long as I could stand it - but I had to take frequent breaks too.

Week 2: OMG my feet HURT. I am using regular gym shoes but really have not gotten used to the standing bit. I have increased my pace from 1.5 to 2.0 though and I sweat pretty strongly at this setting. I where shorts and tank while working - that's pretty cool huh? By the end of this week I was starting to get more encouraged though.

Week 3: Ok - feet are beginning to adjust and don't hurt so bad. I have some soreness in my legs and back but it was ok since I was actually feeling pretty good about it. I have started to really get into drinking water. So far - the desk hasn't broken down at all - everything remains functional and stable. The treadmill I bought has been holding up as well. The noise level is quiet enough that I can be on my USB speakerphone (Using MS Lync) and no one on the call complains and when asked about it they tell me that they don't hear anything :)

Week 4: Now I am starting to feel like this is a habit. I decided to go out and buy a FitBit Ultra (yes Amazon as well) so that I can keep track of my steps, calories, and distance. I have also started a push program that when I pause I do some sets of pushups in-between meetings etc.

Week 5-8: Using the FitBit has really made a difference now as well. At the end of week 8, according to the FitBit, I am averaging over 10,000 steps a day (over 4 sets of 30 minutes at ~2.0 MPH), burn close to 2,000 calories a day, and have greatly reduced my calorie intake. I am now losing weight at a clip of around 1.5 to 2 lbs a week and have not felt this good in a long long time. I now have loads of energy and when I wake up tired, once I get going, I wake up and stay awake all day (before I started I was tired all the time and really had a hardtime staying focused.).

I really have to credit the TrekDesk people with making what I consider an economical but well designed product, as well as low cost Confidence Power Plus Treadmill and FitBit. I spent around $800 for all of this and I consider it truly a life change for me. Please take the negative reviews with a grain of salt. If you have the money - then naturally you can spend more but for me, I am very happy with this purchase.

On a last note - I built a small stand for the middle monitor to sit on that is open in the middle with two 10 inch sides and the top is 18 inches across - both being 10 inches deep. This lets me reach the treadmill controls and be able to see the timer on it without issue.

I hope you find my little review informative!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic way to work, February 8, 2010
This review is from: TrekDesk Treadmill Desk (Sports)
I've been looking at workspace / desk options for a couple of years. I first saw the concept of "Walk / Work" with a product made be SteelCase. Theirs is a nice looking unit with a built-in treadmill, but two major problems: 1) Extremely expensive, and 2) The built-in treadmill is essentially featureless. So I kept looking and came across TrekDesk. I dropped some hints with my wife about the TrekDesk for Christmas and sure-enough, there was a huge box under the tree on Christmas morning. I put the TrekDesk together in about 25 minutes with only minor tools, and not-so-handy handyman skills. I found the TrekDesk simple and easy to put together... some reviews here suggest that it is difficult to assemble. Personally, I'm all thumbs and found it very simple, with good pictures and diagrams in the assembly directions.

Despite the advice at TrekDesk, I thought it would be a good idea to put the speed up on the Treadmill to 2-3mph (seemed slow compared to Gym workout), however i found within a few minutes that was much too fast. After 6 weeks of near-constant use, I find that anywhere from .8-1 mph is perfect for me. That is the speed (for me) that I can carry on a very normal conversation, type comfortably, file, sort, etc. At that rate, I get more energy than I give... overall a very comfortable pace. By the way I bought the NordicTrak Elite 9500 pro for about $850 and find it to be a great match with the TrekDesk. The tread portion of the 9500 is long enough that I can actually run on the treadmill for my workouts without needing to move or adjust my desk.

Six weeks in:

1.) Very Even Energy -- no afternoon lows, or mid-morning blahs... I have consistent energy during the day (averaging about 5-6 miles / day)
2.) Low Back Pain Gone -- I've had chronic lower back pain for years. I'm now convinced that pain was from tight hip flexors caused by sitting in conventional chair all day. My back pain isn't better, it is completely gone.
3.) Weight Loss -- I wasn't expecting or wanting to lose weight, so not a big surprise there for me. If I ate the same amount of food and made the same choices I used to make... I'd probably be losing at least 1 lb / week. I view this more as a "eat-whatever-you-want-and-not-gain-weight" proposition!

I thought that I'd want to keep my old sitting desk and have the TrekDesk for a couple of hours each day, but I'm 100% on the TD now (averaging 25-30 miles / week), and no longer have a sit desk at the office. The office staff thinks I'm a bit wierd, but I've never felt better and had more fun at the office.

2.0 out of 5 stars Why I Returned My Trek Desk, February 9, 2011
Length:: 1:27 Mins

5.0 out of 5 stars #1 Health Decision for 2010--Highly recommend the trek desk, February 3, 2010
This review is from: TrekDesk Treadmill Desk (Sports)
I saw the benefits of a trek desk on TV early in 2009 and waited patiently until the product was released and a few reviews had been posted. Then I took the plunge and made my own purchase. My job has me in a chair at a desk all day long and sitting for hours was killing my health. So, I hoped that the Trek Desk would be the remedy and I waited for a few weeks of use to write my review. I love my Trek Desk and it was worth the money.

Here are the pros:
1) It's exactly what I had hoped for. I've gradually, day by day, transitioned the activities I did in my chair at my desk to my Trek Desk. But make no mistake, it is a transition to change those habits of where you "do your work". So, give it several weeks to get used to your new workspace.
2) In no time at all on a daily basis, without giving it a thought, I walk 3 miles and I'm in the middle of the work transition between chair/desk & Trek Desk.
3) It's a spacious work surface--I have my laptop, my monitor, phone, papers spread out and no shortage of work space.
4) It's easily moveable away from your treadmill(but a bit awkward to move by one person because its large).

Here is the only con: Installation
1) Yes, installation was intimidating and the written instructions are not the place to start--watch the video. I asked my husband to put this together for me as a favor (because he is good at this kind of thing) and it still took him over 45 minutes. He watched the video twice and understood what he had to do. He wasn't at all confused, but it still took that much time to put together.
2) It took two of us to lift it up after installation and to easily put it in place--so call a friend over for assistance! I wouldn't have wanted to be lifting this myself.
3) You need space to put it together and maneuever the desk into position onto the treadmill.
4) When they tell you that you need a power screw driver/drillbit--yes, you do!

Advice to become a happy trek desk user:
1) Expect that the first 3 days, you will spend time experimenting/adjusting it higher/lower as you figure out what works best for you ergonomically and for access to your treadmill controls.
2) I think it's unlikely that someone would instantly be able to shift 100% of his/her work from his/her previous work setting to the trek desk. Recognize that you are "breaking" old work habits and allow for a gradual transition.
3) I found, because I'm a bit clumsy, that I had to acquire some new habits of combining walking and working to avoid dumb outcomes (losing my balance!).
4) Some positions for me were awkward--if I'm walking forward, my work had to be in front of me (and not to the side). The desk is large enough that you could be turned to the side left or right, but I can't manage that unless perhaps I slowed the treadmill down.
5) I tend to get on and off the treadmill alot, so I need easy access to the pause button.
6) I have found it motivating to let the mileage accumulate on the treadmill display all day. Otherwise, I don't think I'd be aware of just how far I've actually walked.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Concept - Unstable Design - update: STABILITY PROBLEM FIXED, September 10, 2011
This review is from: TrekDesk Treadmill Desk (Sports)
I love the concept of this desk. I bought a True Fitness PS300 treadmill and setup my TrekDesk. After a careful assembly process that took about 20 minutes (plus 20 minutes cleaning up the styrofoam bits that fly everywhere), I put the desk in place over my treadmill. I immediately noticed the side-to-side wobble that the previous video review revealed. It is really quite bad. Even moving your mouse left to right will cause the unit to wobble slightly. The other design flaw is that the desk surface is split in two pieces which you permanantly bind together using steel brackets. Why? The ugly 1/8 inch seam down the middle of your desk is unecessary. I guess they were trying to reduce the packaging size.

Both the wobble and the seam are ALMOST deal breakers for me, but there is no alternative on the market yet. I could make my own table top that sits directly on the flat and very sturdy arms of the PS300, but that would take many hours to do properly. Ideally, a triangle bracket in each corner designed for the unit would eliminate the wobble. Hopefully someday they will supply a part like that to existing customers. For now, I am going to go to Home Depot to buy large L brackets to secure to the two top corners. The concept is so great, that it is worth the effort to fix it. it is just a shame that the designers did not address such a basic issue as stablility.

I hope this helps.

UPDATE: I fixed the stablity issue completely using a generic 12x72 wood shelf cut to 49" inches as a cross brace. For just a few dollars my TrekDesk is now rock solid. The manufactor should add this simple and inexpensice cross brace to this unit and make it avaiable to existing customers - if they do, then it is truly a 5 star product. To see the brace and INSTRUCTIONS, view the customer uploaded image from daviddc.

5.0 out of 5 stars Desk Job? You've Got to Get This! Quality / Price Factor is Unbeatable!, February 12, 2010
This review is from: TrekDesk Treadmill Desk (Sports)
I have had a desk job for the past 5 years. I was feeling it: sore back, sciatic nerve pain, gained 15 pounds, lousy sleeping patterns, felt like a lump of clay when I went home every night. Nine hours a day dedicated to an early grave! I always promised myself I would start exercising regularly. But, like many people, I never chose to make that a priority. I finally started pursuing a treadmill with stand-up desk option after my doctor told me I was killing myself. I looked and looked for 6 months, never satisfied with either the quality or the price. Finally, last September, 2009, I found what I had been looking for, and I knew it instantly when I saw it.

My TrekDesk arrived in early October, 2009. I had already found a high-quality treadmill in the want ads, one that sold for $2,500 new, but was being sold for $750. Deal! HINT: don't skimp on the quality of the treadmill you use; it's worth the effort to get the right one. I use a Precor USA and it is solid and quiet. I put together the TrekDesk with not too much difficulty. After speaking with the good folks at TrekDesk, giving them feedback, they told me they have greatly improved the assembly instructions process since I bought mine (I was one of the first buyers they had). Assembly instructions were my only complaint about this desk, be it very minor, but it sounds like they're taking care of that. Good people!

The desk design and price combined are what sold me on this desk, and I haven't changed my mind. I love how you stand in the indent shape, with desk space to the left and right of you. I've mounted an external monitor to the wall, so I have two screens to work from. My customers never even notice I'm walking on the treadmill while I talk (provided that I'm using my headset and NOT the speaker phone). Anyone that complains about the desk's quality is just a whiner. Sure, it was not meant to be leaned upon much (or you get movement in the desk), nor is it a good idea to have it touching the treadmill (possible vibration from your feet landing on the treadmill deck). Neither of these issues HAVE to be issues because the desk is designed to stand alone, free from the treadmill.

I actually disassembled the bars coming up from the treadmill, so my treadmill's control console is sitting up on the right-hand, front corner of the desk. It works wonderfully! The desk bears plenty of weight and I confess, I'm a clutter-bug! No complaints about any of the desk's functionality. The included accessories are perfect!

Anyway, I was being laughed at by all my coworkers about this quest to walk all day as I worked, using the phone and the computer intensely. They said I couldn't walk and type or walk and talk without being compromised in focus or quality. Well, they're not laughing anymore! I've lost over 12 pounds and I haven't changed my eating habits one bit. I feel great! I walk, on average, about 7 miles per day. Taking into consideration that I have to sit in meetings and do other tasks away from my desk, that's quite respectable, I think.

My posture is better, my focus is better, my energy with my customers is better, I love my job even more; there are no downsides to my choices here! None whatsoever! About the only time walking all day gets to be a drag is when I haven't walked much over the weekend (then Mondays are a little rough by 4PM), or when I've chosen to stay up late and not get much sleep; the following day is going to be a 4 to 5 mile day, that's all. I started tracking my actual walking patterns in December, 2009. Now it's a highlight to my day to see the numbers on my spreadsheet. The current log for me right now? Here goes:

Actual days of walking (business days): 36
Total hours:minutes walked: 182:45
Average miles per day: 6.6
Average miles per hour: 1.3

I wish I had started logging this in October when I first set it up!

I had bought a small, separate, sit-down desk when I first set this all up, anticipating the possible need to sit for part of the day. Well, in the average week, I only sit at that desk for maybe an hour or two.

If you realized how much of a life-changer this would be for you, you would be buying this desk today and you would start your journey. TrekDesk is the best option I've seen out there, considering quality AND price. You can buy other desks that have more features (like electric motors for adjustable height), are more sturdy (although TrekDesk's desk is plenty sturdy if you use it right), etc., but you'll pay twice as much or more for it.

This has been one of the best decisions I've ever made. When I go home I have no battle with the guilt of not exercising, because I did it all day and I feel great! The compliments from people who notice the difference is in no way a downside either!

Buy this desk and start living again!!!

Thanks, TrekDesk, you guys are great!

2.0 out of 5 stars Great idea, but some really poor and unsafe design flaws., April 1, 2012
Length:: 8:09 Mins

The video highlights a small handful of disappointing design flaws with the trekdesk and what I've done to try and overcome these flaws, including:

- SIGNIFICANT side-to-side wobble. The higher I went with the desk, the worse it seemed to get.

- Weak and hollow plastic desktop surface is not suitable for attaching desktop monitor mounts for proper ergonomic monitor placement.

- Cable management issues, you may need extra long cables.

The video doesn't show the conditions of the desk prior to my changes... I did not have the side of the desk fastened securely to one wall to stop the wobble and I did not have thin boards in place to help spread out and reduce the pressure put on the hollow plastic by the base of my LED mounts.

Prior to my fixes, the desk was unusable and unsafe while walking even at a slow 1/mph pace. The monitors would shake considerably every time I rested my wrists on the desk to move the mouse or type on the keyboard. You could observe the plastic underneath the base of the LED mounts give a little with each step.

It's hard to fathom why the manufacturer would release this product to market with such a clearly imperfect structural design. I feel a little bit the sucker to have paid close to $600 to learn this the hard way. If it were not such a hassle to disassemble and return the desk, I probably would have done so, but I'm already committed to my treadmill desk program so I'll just have to make do with the fixes I've made.

I could have built a custom desk myself for significantly cheaper. Those of you w/o the means/tools/skill to build your own may still be able to overcome this desk's design flaws like I have with a little bit of ingenuity and elbow grease. Perhaps if you're short and all you use is a laptop, the desk may be stable enough for you. If you're tall and you've got 2 or more monitors to hook up and you really need to be in front of it for 8-10 hours a day, you may want to weigh other options.

I would hope the Trekdesk designers are taking these reviews into consideration for the next iteration of their product... They've got a good product here, and a burgeoning market for it, but they need to go back to the drawing board and address some pretty basic stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars I Trek at the Office, October 26, 2009
This review is from: TrekDesk Treadmill Desk (Sports)
I bought a TrekDesk, have been using it for over two weeks and love it! I have had lower back pain for over 20 years and feel it gets worse by sitting all day. My company has a corporate wellness program and has been promoting "walking meetings", so when I learned about TrekDesk, I figured why not walk at my desk?

I work for a commercial real estate company and in our environment, we are all in cubicles. When my TrekDesk arrived I bought a treadmill at Costco, went in on a Saturday with a buddy, removed my workstation desktop, wheeled the treadmill into my cube and then assembled my TrekDesk. The whole process, installing the treadmill and assembling the TrekDesk took just over an hour. The instructions were easy to follow and desk adjusted so that the ergonomics recommended were optimized for my computer setup on my new worksurface.

There are 16 cubicles in my work area, so come Monday morning I was curious as to how my cubemates would react to my new setup. After everyone got over the novelty of it, we all settled back to our normal routines. The treadmill is quiet and has not disturbed anyone in my area. Have also found that walking at approx 1.5 mph is not a problem at all. Have settled into a program where I walk all morning and generally 2 - 3 hours in the afternoon. No problems wearing my comfortable (rubber soled) dress shoes.

My back feels better, energy level is higher and my productivity is up. Only complaint I have is that I wish I had one 20 years ago!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for certain types of work, but not others., January 5, 2012
This review is from: TrekDesk Treadmill Desk (Sports)
Yes, I'm writing this review while working on a TrekDesk. I was going to build my own but my wife surprised me with an early Christmas present. Now I'll share what I've learned over the past month of TrekDesk-ing.

WORKING WHILE WALKING: Any treadmill desk claims to provide health benefits. I'm sure they do, but I haven't noticed any yet. It's only been a month though so hopefully within a few more months I start to actually feel better at the end of the day. Right now I'm still pretty wiped out from walking all day. My feet hurt and my legs are tired. The actual working experience isn't terribly different from a normal desk. If you're just typing on a keyboard, then you pretty much forget that you're walking and life is great. If however, your job requires precise control of a mouse, the Trek Desk DEFINITELY isn't for you! The smaller the mouse movements, the harder it is to control. Just clicking between documents and stuff like that is easy. Navigating multi-level menus without sliding off the spot you want is a little more tricky and requires some practice. Doing any kind of precise CAD work or Photoshop editing is pretty much impossible. Now, if you only need to do fine mouse control once in a while, just step off to the side of the treadmill, do your mouse work and then start walking again. Fine mouse control while your body is moving around is tough, but beyond that working is fairly easy. Finally, it helps to have good shoes and also stop and stretch every hour or so.

WORKSPACE: There is a lot of work space and that's great because I've got room for the box of tissues, the cup of pens, a laptop, a second monitor, a large comfortable keyboard, etc. etc. The down side is that you can't just cram this thing in a corner in a bedroom and get away with it. You've got to have a big work area because you've got a wide desk and a long treadmill. Once the desk is in place you can't fold up the treadmill anymore either so you need a good 6' x 6' of space to permanently allocate to your home office.

CONSTRUCTION: It seems sturdy. The top is formed plastic and has a distinctly plastic smell for the first few weeks, but it's still very sturdy. The two halves of the top are held together and supported by four pieces of U shaped steel that are about three feet long each. The sides and all of the metal parts are powder coated steel. One of my cross braces had paint chipped off and the metal underneath was rusty so I'm not sure why that would have happened, but it doesn't matter for the performance of the desk. Some people complain about a sideways wobble on the desk. Yeah... it's there... a little bit... if you look for it. It depends on how much the motion from your walking is being transferred to desktop. If you're resting your palms on the desktop it's not really there but if you're kind of holding yourself to the desk with your arms, it will wiggle a little. It could be solved easily if you don't like the wiggle. Go to a hardware store and ask for a piece of 1" angle iron. Bolt that between the two legs right where the existing horizontal supports go and that should solve the problem, but like I said, it's not really that noticeable so I haven't bothered to try it.

ASSEMBLY & SETUP: I found it pretty easy to assemble. I wasn't crazy about driving screws into plastic because I didn't think they'd have much holding power, but there are enough of them and they're not really "holding" anything other than preventing movement of parts. It takes about a half hour with a drill or power screw driver to assemble. Longer with a regular screw driver. The instructions aren't stellar but they're certainly good enough that anyone should be able to assemble it easily and the pictures in the instruction manual seemed pretty good. Setting the desk up is fairly easy too, but surprisingly the height adjustments seem a little out of whack. I'm 5'10" and to get my elbows at an ergonomically recommended 90 degree angle, I'm at height setting 3 of 10. You'd have to be 8'6" to use height setting 10 so I'm not sure what they were thinking. If you're shorter than 5'5" you'll probably have to get a little creative and put the back of your treadmill on a 2x4 and then increase the angle of the treadmill a little to effectively raise you up two inches, but again it's no big deal.

ACCESSORIES: The accessories are all made to slide into accessory slots that are formed into the desk top. Any accessory can go into any slot so you can configure the desk however you want. It comes with a nice set of steel trays for organizing papers. They're really high quality compared to anything you might buy at an office store. It also comes with a document holder that is meant to hold sheets of paper in front of you presumably for transcribing. While that's very 1970's and may not seem useful in this day and age, I clipped two of those big black springy paper clippy things through the slots in the holder to make a little elevated "shelf" and I use it to hold my iPhone. It would be great for holding a tablet computer as well. Again, it's a very high quality piece of powder coated metal. Finally there are the cup holders. Good idea, but not practical. Each cup holder has a little paperclip tray (or something like that) built in which is nice but due to the size of the desk surface and the fact that the cup holders hang PAST the edge of the desk you've got to have really really long arms to reach them. I tried them, but it was just a hassle so I gave up and now I just have a water bottle on the desk instead. I haven't figured out a good use for the cup holders yet although one of them is currently serving as a granola bar holder.

OVERALL: The TrekDesk is better than anything most people can whip up in the garage out of scrap lumber and if you start buying any kind of new lumber the price difference is going to shrink pretty quickly so there's a diminishing return on your time and money. It seems to be well made and I'm sure it will hold up longer than I will :) I like the large work space it provides but if you've got a cramped work area like a corner in a bedroom, it may be too big. Aside from the cup holders I like the accessories. They could have included the angle iron cross brace I mentioned earlier to minimize sideways wobble but for me I hardly ever notice it and even when I do notice, it's not like it bothers me. I wish there was a small pencil drawer just so everything doesn't have to sit on the desk top but again, that's not a big deal. A small set of drawers can be put on top of the top paper tray and that's probably what I'll end up doing. Walking while working is a lot easier than it seems but for me it's taking a while for my body to adjust. So yes, even though I'm cheap, I'd buy the TrekDesk again rather than build my own out of wood.

TrekDesk Treadmill Desk