Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Water Sports

76%
24%

on August 30, 2011
I use this sealant around my pool for years. Sealing the expansion gap around the coping this sealant stands up to chlorine, hot summers, harsh winters, ants, etc for 7 years. As a polyurethane sealant it is very dense and requires a great deal of pressure to get it to leave the tube. I would strongly recommend a power caulk gun (I use the Dewalt 18V). Trying to do it by hand will leave you a fairly pitiful bead of product. The manufacturer recommends a concave bead in the joint (I use the backside of a spoon) and that you apply pressure to assure adhesion (again I press with the backside of a spoon). The product is extremely sticky and its recommended you use a product like stucco tape to line either side of the joint to obtain a straight edge. You can remove the tape almost immediately after applying the product. One last thing to know about this product it takes days to fully cure. It will skin in 3-4 hours but up to that time leaves and debris can get stuck on it. Keep the area around your project clean. Good stuff, takes work to use, recommended.
While looking for a sealant to fill cracks in our pool, I decided to search all of the forums and find out what the pros use. I discovered that Vulkem 116 is the most frequently mentioned sealant by pool builders. I used it to fill all of the cracks during our major pool renovation project and so far it's holding up very well.

It takes about a week to dry, and this slow drying process could be one reason it is so tough:

Vulkem 116 generally cures at a rate of 1/16" per day at 75°F (24°C) and 50% relative humidity. It will skin in 5 hours and be tack free in 30 hours. The cure time will increase as temperatures and/or humidity decrease. A good rule of thumb is one additional day for every 10°F decrease in temperature.
on June 11, 2012
I used this to replace my 3-year old original sealant that was going bad on some windows due to mold and heat that lovely South Florida gives off.....not to mention the tons of rain we get sometimes. When my impact windows were installed, they used this product. So here I am 3 years later, hired someone to take off all the old sealant and apply the new one. This is highly recommended since it bonds to concrete very well....a must for any CBS house that needs a good sealant for your outside perimeter windows.
on October 14, 2015
I used this to seal/bond a barrier-free (flush to floor) fiberglass shower pan to the tile abutting it. It is a bit harder to work with than silicone, but seems to be much stronger. Caution, it takes a few days to off-gas.
on August 30, 2015
Vulkem brand not sold at local big box store. I used this to seal around my vinyl window after initial installer's silicone caulk peeled. I got a fresh tube and the sealant flowed out easily. I used a battery powered caulk gun so I can't tell how much pressure is needed if using a manual caulk gun. I know the label recommended using soapy water to smooth out the sealant but I used WD40 instead and it came out smooth. Only time will tell if this holds up.
on May 21, 2012
I ordered this for my Dad's use and this was his first time to ever use this product and he was thoroughly impressed. It was warm outside when he used it and it went on smoothly. Just try not to get it on your skin because it is a bit difficult to get off. Dad said it reminded him of Thiacol (a product they used in construction). It was two compounds that had to be mixed right before use. So this is already premixed and excellent.
on June 3, 2013
This went on smooth and flowed well making a smooth bead easy. It adhered to plastic, metal and fiberglass equally well.
It hasn't been on long enough to determine longevity, but seems to do what we expected.
on July 16, 2016
Does exactly what I need it to do. I used this to replace the old caulking around my concrete porch against the outside brick wall of my house/chimney. I had some water leaking in and this fixed the problem right away. It's held up for the last few months, hopefully this continues.
on December 2, 2011
Used to seal up some cracks on the concrete surrounding our inground pool. A bit messy to use until you get the feel for it, and requires a bit of effort to apply compared to standard silicone caulk, but this is the real deal. Hopefully a reapplication won't be necessary for another decade.
on July 27, 2009
We have used this product exculsively on our roofs for the last year. We have repaired 5 roofs, and used several cases of Vulkem 116. I would highly recomend it.