Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Trend Micro AntiVirus + AntiSpyware [Download] [OLD VERSION]
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

VINE VOICEon December 30, 2009
Platform: PC Disc|Format: Box|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Honestly, I believe that all AV software is pretty good at providing protection. I have four PC's and I run different AV software on all of them. Mostly because I get free versions to review. As of right now I am using McAfee, AVG, Viper and TrendMicro and they all work well.

What I like best about TrendMicro is that is stays out of the way (does not take up too many resources) and it installs and un-installs easily.

I wrestled with Norton and vowed to never, ever use them again. It simply took over my PC and it took forever to scrub it off my system; not so with TrendMicro; it runs very cleanly.

Very nice, great protection and easy on the system. That's all I want out of a AV package.

PS - it would be nice if this included a Firewall, but that is why we have Comodo!
on October 7, 2009
The old version worked great with Vista, but then it expired. The new version installs but will not open/run. After hours of online chatting with customer service (since if you call the phone number it tells you to go online and hangs up on you--3 different numbers) I got nowhere. Beware, it's a real time-waster. Go with something else, Vipre seems to run fine so far.
UPDATE: 3 weeks later, still waiting for my refund.
55 comments| 36 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 6, 2010
This is my fifth version of Trend Micro Antivirus. This time around Trend Micro did a little better then normal by improving it's over-all speed. Install time wasn't that bad, taking only about 15 minutes on my laptop with a 2.4 GHz processor. Now this program does do a pretty good job on protecting my computer from viruses and spyware, but it does it EXTREMELY slow. I would highly recommend spending a little bit on a more more expensive Antivirus like Kaspersky or Vipre, and get well over 3x the speed! If speed is not an issue for you and you have more time than money this WILL do the job, like i said earlier, I've never really had much trouble with it NOT stopping a virus, so...
Overall, it's a good software for the price,I prefer it over Norton/Mcaffe but there IS much better software out there
on September 10, 2011
The expiration date of the software shows as being only 30 days after I installed it. It also indicates it is a "Bestbuy" version of the software. I am asking for the seller "mjentertainment" to make this right and will update my review ASAP.

UPDATE: Seller sent me a gobbledygook response to my complaint. BUYER BEWARE this is not a full version of the software
VINE VOICEon March 13, 2010
I don't download files from sources that aren't well know or open web pages if they lag or appear to have questionable content. I have this rather limited program on one of my work computers and it has not suffered because of it. For the purposes of the average adult user I have found it to be safe and effective in preventing viruses and spyware infections. I have used it for several months now without incident. If you frequently open email from unknown sources or freely download attachments from friends who like to forward things, you may want more protection than this. You get what you pay for and this one does not scan email and other attachments.
on February 21, 2010
I found the Trend Micro software to be a welcome change after trying other anti-virus software programs (especially Panda and Norton) that slooooowed my computer to a snail's pace. Trend has had no noticeable impact on my system's performance, and it is delightfully unobtrusive for the most part -- other anti-virus software, especially Norton and McAfee, but also Panda to an extent, seem to love proudly "announcing" their accomplishments several times a day ("Norton has just ______"; McAfee is now doing ____"). I mean, it's nice to know the software is working, but my thinking is, just do your job well and shut up! Trend seems to have WAY less annoying notifications. It is also perfectly compatible with Windows 7.

I waited a couple of months to write my review, to see what would develop, and I'm glad I did. One minor annoyance is that Trend, on a couple of occasions, deleted cookies from a couple of store's websites that I visited. It was truly a MINOR problem -- it didn't, for example, delete my email website's cookies or anything that annoying. And I figured, well, if it's vigilant against spyware, maybe that's a reasonable price to pay (because it HAS found spyware and successfully removed it).

The only major problem I had was about a week ago, when I suddenly was unable to use any of the 3 photo editing/importing programs I have installed on my computer, as well as a couple of other programs...my computer would freeze to the extent that I had to do 7 force-shutdowns in the same day. I was truly puzzled, as I hadn't "changed" anything on the computer -- then Trend popped up a note that said a recent Trend update may have caused problems on my computer that could result in a system freeze. They promised to fix the update shortly -- it took them about a day and a half, but they did send a new update that fixed the problem. Since then it's been perfectly fine -- but that was WAY more than a minor inconvenience.

So...I'd like to say that I recommend Trend to a Windows 7 user, but that was a major problem. They did fix it, but for some people, 24-48 hours is a LONG time to go without the full use of their computer! I am hoping that is the last incident of that kind with Trend...time will tell.

-------------------------
UPDATE: 3/27/10 -- So, I uninstalled Trend and went back to using a previous anti-virus/spyware software (Vipre)that I already had, since I had a couple of months left on the yearly subscription. Guess what? NO MORE problems! My laptop is working perfectly, no more crashing, since I uninstalled Trend. *ahh* Total relief.

So it was definitely Trend that was causing ALL of the problems. I would say "run" from Trend, ESPECIALLY IF YOU'RE USING WINDOWS 7. Bummer...it started out so promising!
VINE VOICEon September 1, 2010
Recently my son's laptop crashed, and I had to re-load Windows to make it functional again. Working on the theory that some little nasty got by my anti virus program I thought I'd give Trend a shot. It was a very easy install and seems to be working well.
on February 8, 2013
Trend Micro is the best Antivirus software I have used. I have purchased several copies and several versions over several years. Would like the see the subscription price down closer to the product price!!
on January 21, 2010
I don't care what others say, Trend Micro has been the best I've used since I got online in th last 12 years with my sony vaio. It has never give me an issue and I trust it wholeheartedly. I've tried other top names over the years and Trend Micro has been the most consistent, reliable, and get-it-done protection. It's easy to use and so far I've never had a breach since using it. It runs in the background and sometimes so quietly I forget it's there.
VINE VOICEon January 13, 2010
Installation problems

It took me a while to get this software to run. After install I could not open the Trend Micro main consol and I did not have an icon on the system tray either, in fact it was not running. I contacted support via email. I suspected that a previous trial version of Trend Micro might be the cause of the problem and I said so in the email. It took days before I got any response and the responses I got were nonsensical and did not answer my direct question about previous editions. So I finally called instead. The woman who helped me this time was efficient and agreed with me that it must be the previous edition. The issue was fixed in half an hour by cleaning out old+new Trend Micro. Then I installed again and --> BINGO, now it worked. I should add that the operating system is Windows Vista Home Premium. I am not sure that could have something to do with as well.

Lesson learned

- Don't bother with email support

- Call them. But you need to call before 8PM PST.

-------------------------
Running Trend Micro Anti Virus + Anti Spyware

On the first scan it cleaned up four cookies. Since then it has protected the computer (my daughter's computer). What I like about Trend Micro 2010 is that it runs without bothering you with notifications and approval dialog boxes (unlike Norton). Anti Virus software should not take over the computer. The Quick Scan is fast and the console is intuitive and easy to use. I have not noticed that this version of Trend Micro slows down the computer a lot. My McAffee significantly slows down the system on two other computers that I own. However, a previous version of Trend Micro Pro (not his edition) also had a tendency to slow things down. Yet another previous version of Trend Micro once had a false positive by which I mean that it detected a virus that was not there. The false positive caused me some embarrassment because I accused someone of sending viruses when they weren't. This version has not done anything mischievous so far but I have not had it very long. So far it is running smoothly, it is unobtrusive, and is not a CPU hog. Considering the installation problems I had I feel that I can only give it three stars. I recommend it, but unenthusiastically.

See 1 answered question