Automotive Holiday Deals Up to 50% Off Select Books Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Black Friday egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Get Ready for the Winter Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals BestoftheYear Shop Now DOTD

on February 15, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have been having serious problems with my computers slowing down, not recognizing hyperlinks, not sending passwords properly and the security software itself turning off for no apparent reason & worse of all, I can't download security updates from windows automatically or at all for that matter. I thought this software would find & fix the problem but it did nothing and found no problems even though there clearly are serious security issues with my pc & my laptop.

So, I loaded the free security software that comes with Windows 7, Microsoft Security Essentials, and in short order it found several malware. The Microsoft Security Essentials is a free software that actually works with the exception that I still can't download security updates from windows either automatically or by doing it manually. That stinks but at last the other problems have been fixed and no more shutting down or slowness or problems with passwords.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
PROS: Installation is fairly fast and easy. I like the page ratings. Links that are good are green with a check beside them. Norton does this also. Trend Micro also rates links within emails.

It can be installed on three computers.

You can download SafeSync for free. With this software, you can sync the data of all your computers. It must be downloaded to each computer.

CONS: During the installation, it uninstalled Spybot Search & Destroy, claiming that it was incompatible. Spybot S&D had a few choice comments about that. When choosing to uninstall, a window pops up which states: "We were not able to reproduce the alleged incompatibility and Trend Micro is not able to produce an explanation either. We therefore have to assume its request to uninstall Spybot S&D is just unfair competition. The Anti-Spyware Coalition defines software that uninstalls other security software as possible malware. Do you really want to trust software that reduces your system's security to improve their shareholder value? You can re-install Spybot S&D after installing Trend Micro should you tolerate their patronizing and want to continue uninstalling Spybot S&D." After all that, I received a message when it was over that all elements had not been removed. Strangely enough, it did not remove Spyware Blaster, which I also have installed.

The option to not receive news and offers from Trend Micro was grayed out. I really don't appreciate that.

The license expires in year. That doesn't seem fair.

4 STARS: I actually like security so far. It doesn't slow down my computer. I've no glitches or other issues since I installed it at the beginning of the month.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon October 25, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I don't believe anyone other than professional labs can assess the ability of any given software program's ability to catch all viruses. And even that is a moving target as newer and more sophisticated viruses are appearing as time goes forward. I read a recent article appearing on tomshardware on October 12, 2011 comparing 20 anti-virus software programs with one another. In this article, Trend Micro is listed in 13th place out of 20. And a year ago, Trend Micro was second to last place. So you can see it really is a moving target. If Trend Micro continues at this pace, then who knows where it will be in a few months? So how bad is it? This article shows a graph of missed sample viruses in percentages.

The best four companies missed maybe 0.5% and certainly less than 1%. The next 5 companies look to be about 1.5%. Then the next 4 companies ramp from 2.4% to a little over 3%. And Trend Micro is the one that is a little over 3% sample viruses missed. Again, this is just a snapshot in time. But to give you some idea of the worst one, it missed 14%. Even Microsoft's free anti-virus software missed over 7%. AVG, which is another free anti-virus software program, missed 4% of sample viruses.

But you cannot look just at the anti-virus software anymore. There are many other threats other than routine viruses. And you should just read the feature list up above to acquaint yourself with what this version of Trend Micro can do. And aside from defensive features, there are several applications that fall into the general category of security and protection from loss or theft. It's not just anti-virus that is important anymore. I really don't understand why they even bother to offer the entry level anti-virus software these days. It is just a marketing ploy to show you all the elements you should have on your computer. So I would not even consider the lesser versions. Just go for the Maximum Security and be done with it.

And it seems Trend Micro offers a rather complete array of applications under the umbrella of computer and internet security. And they offer the so-called cloud storage up to 10 GBytes so that you can synchronize several computers' documents. I think this is a very good feature for the multi-computer family or business. Somehow I live here alone and have 4 different computers that I still use for various purposes.

I've used Trend Micro for several years now and I like the fact I can put it on 3 different computers and run out the clock in one year. I do not understand why they give Mac users only 1 computer of protection per license. It is just the Apple tax I suppose - a much smaller installed base compared to PCs. I wonder what it would be like to own 1 Mac and 3 PCs. Would the 1 Mac license use up the entire license? Don't know the answer to that one.

Anyway, bottom line is this. Considering the overall capability of this collection of software applications, I think it is the only way to go. While I cannot personally testify to its ability to prevent viruses getting onto my computer, I just defer to the experts. While 13th place sounds bad, it really isn't. Next month the ranking will be different anyway. I do know that my previous version has prevented several viruses from getting onto my computer. And it never allowed any viruses to get into my computer. So if you surf the internet, you can be guaranteed that someday you will encounter a virus - or two or many more depending upon where you tread. And you definitely do want to be protected not only from viruses, but all the other devilish prank software out there. There are a lot of intelligent, but evil people in this world.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I ordered this product because it supports 3 PCs, and I needed three licenses, and because I wanted to try out the Android protection. It works well with Windows 7; installation went very smoothly, it updates seamlessly in the background, and it seems to take up few resources compared to most other Antivirus programs. My computer is running just as well as it did before I installed it; that is something that I cannot say of most antivirus programs. I have not encountered any viruses, but hopefully it will do OK if that happens.

The only issue I have is that the program advertises that purchasing this product provides support for mobile devices. In fact, I downloaded the Android version from the Market, expecting it to work with the license provided by this device. No such luck. I went to the Micro Trend site, and on my account page there is a link to install a different version of antivirus on my mobile device. When I attempted to download it, the site presented a drop-down listing all the phones that would work with it. They had Windows Mobile and lots of other devices, but nothing I could tie to Android. So I didn't go any further. I think that if they are going to advertise Android compatibility, and sell antivirus on the market, then the license key should work there, or they should have some kind of link on their site that works on various Android OS types, rather than phones.

Recommended for the desktop features, but not for the mobile features.
on December 26, 2011
I have used the Trend anti-virus software for a couple of years and you will probably find a favorable review under my name. Here is an update. My son recently got a virus on his laptop while I was traveling. My wife is not technical and my son, well, he thinks he knows what to do but probable executed a trojan virus "system restore" by mistake. Should the program have caught the thing? I would have hoped so.

After hours of effort I was able to clean the laptop and got it going pretty normal again. And as the license expired today, I attempted to install the 2012 version. Unfortunately, that has been a major production. The update has a bug. And the instructions I received from support failed to correct it. Now on the line with another tech who has been looking for help. Could it be this hard? I have typed them my serial number literally a dozen times. And they say it is invalid. I am ready to give up on them.

I hope I get it installed. I bought the 3-user license and have two other computers to try. If it fails again I will lose my mind. Better luck to you!
on December 3, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
My brother just recently got a new Gaming PC, but it did not include an Anti-Virus. So upon seeing this Anti-Virus on Amazon Vine, along with it's promise not to slow down your PC, it seemed like a perfect match. Speed is very important for PC Gaming, so an Anti-Virus that eats up processor power by constantly running in the background is less than ideal. However, according to the Product Description of Trend Micro Maximum Security 2012, despite it's numerous features, this program functions via an internet-based cloud service so as to not slow down your PC at all.
Well, upon installing the Trend Micro Maximum Security 2012 program on our computer, we did indeed experience framerate dips in our games from time to time that were not present prior to installation. At first we figured, "No big deal, it's probably just an anti-spyware program or something scanning our save files or some cache file. We'll just disable it while we play and it'll be fine." Unfortunately, upon trying to open the Anti-Virus client, the program wouldn't respond. First we tried clicking on the desktop shortcut, (no dice, no matter how many times we tried or how long we waited. We never even got the little spinning logo that tells you the program is loading...) so then we figure the shortcut is broken, and try accessing it through the start menu, when that failed we consulted the manual, the manual said to check online, and then the website had no solution to our problem.

In the end, we both just got fed up and uninstalled the program. We could have tried reinstalling, but to be honest, this is not the first time an Anti-Virus program has given me grief, and I'm just fed up with it. The only Anti-Virus I've ever had any luck with is Norton, so if I ever do buy another commercial Anti-Virus ever again, that will be the brand I go with. But for now, I think I'm finished using commercial Anti-Virus programs. From now on, I'm probably just gonna stick with using Firefox + Adblock Plus & NoScript plugins to keep my computer safe. I never go anywhere where I could pick up a virus/malware/trojan anyway, nor do I ever open e-mails from people I don't know, so Adblock+ & NoScript should keep my computer safe.
For those of you who store a lot of important data on your PC and aren't tech-savy, I say just go for Norton, as it's much easier to use than other Anti-Virus/Security Suites I've used, and has never given me any grief.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
First let me say that I had almost given up on any full security software after my many nightmares with Norton, McAfee and others. This software has shown me the light. It is everything that is says that it is and more. The best thing about it is that actually functions as background software should. Others that I have tried tended to take over my computer and slow it down to a crawl. The features are phenomenal. I haven't used all of them, but out of the ones that I have used, I haven't had any problems. My only very minor complaint is that it has required me to remove another program, but I really didn't need it. I can't wait to try the sync feature. We have three computers and I cannot imagine being able to access anything from one to the other. This isn't just excitement. It has actually found and removed several bad files from my computer. I do a lot of banking and shopping online, so it feels good to know that I have extra protection. The price isn't too high for me. It is much cheaper than taking your computer in for repairs or getting a new one. My husband bought a gaming computer and we had not found any security software for it that we are satisfied with. They all had some negative effect on the computer's performance. This one has done such a good job on our general use computer, so we have decided to try it on the gaming computer also. If it has any negative effect I will amend my review. I would recommend this program to anyone.

ALERT: Since writing this review I have experienced a serious problem with this software. Basically it turned itself off and I couldn't get it to turn back on. I didn't realize what was going on right away and my email got hacked and my computer started acting weird. I tried my best to get the software to work, then my computer messed up and wouldn't start up correctly. This was an expensive gaming computer and it is costing $340 to repair it! Do not buy this software!
VINE VOICEon January 15, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
So I was provided a copy of this through the Vines Program but felt fortunate b/c I was really looking to try the product. I can basically cut to the chase by saying that after installing and using it, I liked it so much that I went ahead and bought 3 more licenses for my other Macs.

We have several computers and internet devices in the house but were pretty new to Mac, so I wasn't sure what Internet Security product would be best. I received this and was really glad to see that it had an install for both Windows and Mac.

The install was about the easiest thing you can fathom. Insert the media, a folder opens, drag the install folder over and watch the progress bar progress until it's installed. It's not hyperbole to say that I can't think of a way you could make it easier to install short of using telepathy.

Once installed, it's ready to go if you want to just leave it at that. Having a fairly complex home network , I had some configuring to do. Additionally, since I was new to the product, I wanted to see what all it could do and how it compared to my other internet security software.

There are four main tabs, General, Debugging, Network and Quarantine.

Quarantine is where things go (and you can direct them there) where they should be <youGuessedIt> Quarantined. Since this was a clean install, there wasn't a need for it at the time I installed it.

On the General tab, you can instruct it to start the processes which it does. At that point, one mouse click, it's up and running (which btw it does by default if you don't opt to manually configure things). So you can choose to Start Components, Delete files or Uninstall things. The features are exactly what you'd expect them to do.

Debugging is a pretty cool feature for power users but something most people probably won't have much need for. You can opt to "Start Monitoring" and then specify an output location and it will dump output information accordingly.

As I mentioned earlier, Quarantine is a place where files you're unsure of so that they can be monitored and dealt with in a safe manner ("Safe" will only be as safe as you handle things, but it enables you to deal with things without being completely exposed).

The last option is Network which lets you check your network connection and then takes you to a site to monitor specifics about your connection.

All in all it's completely intuitive and easy to use. I'd say that someone who was effectively computer illiterate could be up and running in just a few minutes and everything is clear and does exactly what you'd expect it to. I've been using it for I believe 2 months now and have found it to be ALMOST completely seamless. There was once, one time (and that's with me using the computer several hours a day on a daily basis), that I had my browser freeze up when I first started the services that I needed to stop the program in order to free things. That was the only problem I've had that I know of. Additionally, while there's always going to be some performance impact, it's so marginal that it's not worth discussing. This is huge as far as I'm concerned b/c many internet security programs are very intrusive and can get in the way so much you end up turning them off.

Additionally, the two problems you'll have with internet security programs is 1- They don't catch legitimate threats 2-You get false positives. I'm pretty careful as a user so I can't speak to the first one comprehensively, but I've had no problems or security breaches whatsoever. As far as false positives, I've had a few issues there but i have to say the program did what it was supposed to. I'm a developer/consultant so had people send me zipped up programs that included executable files and dynamic link libraries. It spotted them as potential problems and they were (potential problems - I knew they were safe but there's no way the program could have - so suffice to say it did exactly what it was supposed to). It warned me as I'd expect, put things in Quarantine and allowed me to retrieve them accordingly (they were all windows executables or libraries, so they didn't run on the mac - but I did download them so I could get to them with Fusion desktop).

In any case - the software has proven to be very effective. It's really easy to setup and use and it's about as transparent as it could be. To date, this is my preferred internet security program for Mac and at this point, when my subscriptions expire for all my windows machines, I intend on moving to this product, which is about the best thing I can say about a product. I'm confident that even the worst critic will have to say this is a great product and would like it all in all.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I bought this for my laptop that I keep at home with my parents so I can have a computer when I'm not on campus since I have a desktop on campus. My laptop is from 2006 and is very outdated, so it was in need for an upgrade when it comes to security so I found this on the Vine Program and let me just say my laptop works like it has never worked before. However, if you already have software that came with your computer it could cause a problem (I had Symantec and it was horrible trying to remove it). Once I removed it though, it was smooth sailing from there. I am not a computer know it all so my review will not be as detailed as others especially those who know the ins and outs of software, security, etc. After I installed the software, it ran an automatic scan, where it found 17 threats (told you outdated laptop) and removed all of them. I also like the data theft prevention feature, if you do a lot of online ordering like I do this is definitely the software you need.

Includes 10 GB secure online backup, with Sync and Sharing features (Sync feature's used to pull files off your computer where you can then move them to the sync website where you'll be able to access your files anywhere)
Real-time updates safeguard you from the latest on-line threats
Light on system resources so your PC runs faster
Set up and installation easy (walks you step by step)
Timed tune up (cleans extra files on computer that's slowing it down)

Features are not as easy to control as I think they could be (I have bit defender on my desktop which I will be switching over once it expires and its features are easier to control)

Overall, the pros outweigh the cons (I worded some pros from the box, but it's very true) and I can't wait till my bit defender expires so I can switch over on my desktop. I paid $50 for it so I don't want to waste my money, but I love this software and will be on the lookout for more from them. Oh and this one that I have can be used on three pc's for one year or one mac for one year.
VINE VOICEon November 4, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Trend Micro Titanium Maximum Security 2012 is a comprehensive internet security solution which includes:

-Web Threat Protection
-Data Theft Prevention
-Parental Controls
-System Tuner
-Secure Erase File Shredder
-Remote File Lock
-Social Networking Security
-10 GB of Trend Micro SafeSync-Secure Online Backup, Sync & Share

I have used it for one month on a computer that is running Windows XP and it seems to work well at stopping viruses before they get to my system. It stops web threats by blocking them and over all doesn't seem to have a noticeable effect on the computer performance. That is something that I have not been able to say for most of the internet security software that I have installed in the past. Typically these full suites are bloated and bog the computer down. Not so with Trend Micro Titanium.

It appears to meet my security needs and I would recommend it to anyone who is looking for an all in one solution. This product also includes smart surfing for Mac computers and mobile phone security. I have not used this part of the program yet but intend to do so soon.

Coverage for a total of four computers at such a reasonable price makes this a winner in my book.