Professional restaurant supplies BDD_MSW16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Beauty Gifts Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now SnS

Format: Audio CD|Change

on May 15, 2012
I didn't intend for this to be so long, but I hope it is useful for non-fans and casual listeners. :-) And no, I don't work for Adam or RCA! LOL

---------------------
Edited to add: I just noticed that the tiny handful of negative reviews mostly had to do with not liking the genre of the album. They liked Adam's voice but apparently they weren't expecting the first half of the album to be dance songs - but that's just a matter of musical taste. People who don't like pop often complain about 'over production'. Yes, it is true that heavy music production tends to be just a cookie-cutter attempt to compensate for mediocre (or non-existent) singing talent. But I contend that Adam's incredible voice completely obliterates this concept. He can do things with his voice that other pop singers could never hope to attempt. Adam's pop music blends the best of both worlds. The production compliments and supports his amazing talent; it doesn't cover it up. This album has a mix of dance pop, rock, electro-funk, mid-tempo pop/rock and slower, heartfelt ballads. Adam's vocal skill ties it all together and keeps it fresh. If you like those styles of music, I guarantee you will love this album. Read on for a detailed review!
----------------------

Until now, I've never heard an album where EVERY single song is awesome. My reactions to each track range from "I love this song" to "OMG I'm gonna faint!" Enthusiastic track-by-track reviews from reputable publications/blogs are cropping up everywhere. I've not seen any reviews that weren't positive. (With the exception of one shockingly homophobic rant. I won't say which site because they don't deserve hits.)I've seen several reviews that actually had a disclaimer that the reviewer was a non-fan but was happily converted by this amazing album.

The first 7 songs are exhilarating dance pop hits. "Trespassing" is all attitude and swagger; "Cuckoo" is a 'lets get crazy' dance party; "Shady" is naughty and absolutely funkaliscious; "Never Close Our Eyes" is a joyous celebration of life with soaring vocals; "Kickin' In" is an ode to the intoxication of the clubbing scene; "Naked Love" is an infectious, playful romp that's easy to sing along to; "Pop That Lock", about claiming your power, escalates to a bombastic blow-the-lid-off jam.

The energy of the second half of the album shifts to mid-tempo songs and ballads that are soulful and personal. "Better Than I Know Myself", which is about seeking reconciliation between the light and dark sides of self, is a great transition piece with a balance between slower, emotional verses and a more energetic chorus; "Broken English", about the frustration of communication problems, is a powerful, slow burn and some parts remind me of George Michael's heavier ballads; "Underneath" will rip your guts out. Achingly beautiful and deeply personal, it ebbs and flows between quiet vulnerabilty and a powerful demanding cry. Only Adam has the skill and artistry to pull off a song so emotional and vocally demanding; "Chokehold", about the addictive nature of a toxic relationship, has a throbbing beat and is both dark and hauntingly sensual; The standard album closes with "Outlaws of Love", a stripped down heartbreaker that also highlights Adam's incredible voice. It is a soulful lament inspired by the struggle for GLBT acceptance, but it captures the pain of anyone in a relationship that is unfairly condemned.

The deluxe album includes 3 bonus tracks, which have a much heavier rock influence. Trust me, these gems are well worth the extra $2. "Runnin'" is an intense, pounding plea for the strength to turn away from a life of dysfunction and self sabotage. This song is utterly spellbinding - Adam uses his rarely-heard low register and soars almost 3 breathtaking octaves. "Take Back", is filled with energetic frustration and the painful regret of a crumbling relationship. The rhythmic vocal embellishments are at times hypnotic, but in a very good way. "Nirvana", is an expression of the spiritual beauty of love. This ethereal rock lullaby is a perfect close to the emotional journey of the album. Adam's voice is both exhilarating and calming.

Unlike most albums that are just a couple of singles with filler, Trespassing is an amazing, cohesive work of art. With the impressive soaring vocals and the maturity and depth of the song writing, one could call this pop music for grown-ups. There are many A-list colaborators, but Adam is the glue that binds it together - he was executive producer and co-wrote 12 of the 15 songs. I urge you to invest in the album, don't just cherry-pick and download individual tracks. I agree with many reviewers that if Trespassing can just get enough exposure, it could easily be Album of the year.
1111 comments|148 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 16, 2012
I am certainly NOT a person you would think a fan of Adam Lambert. Trust me, there is little 'glam' about this 48 year old guy. Yet, I remember thinking what a travesty that Lambert did not win on American Idol. His rendition of Ring of Fire should have garnered him the award. Still, Adam Lambert's talent cannot be denied as this sophmore album shows.

For Your Entertainment was a much more fun album than this follow-up, but Trespassing maybe a more honest portrayal of Lambert as he bares his soul. Lambert shows maturity on this album. You still get the soaring vocals, but not so overdone as on his first album. The songs on the last half of this album are my favorite of the bunch. I like Lambert's direction and look foward to what he has in store for us in the future.

I highly recommend the Deluxe Edition of this album as you will not want to miss out on the addititional tracks.
on May 15, 2012
Do you think, like me, that much of Pop on the radio sounds generic to the point of being interchangeable? Well, throw that notion out of your head and ears where Adam Lambert is concerned. Trespassing is, in turns, a raucous dance party, infectious ear worm, funky groove, and heart wrenching collection of tunes all moving forward compellingly with the drive of Lambert's stellar, jaw-dropping vocals.

What's better than listening to Lambert singing the lead? Lambert singing layers and layers and layers of rich harmonies and counter melodies. We are accustomed to his impossible high notes, but, on several of these tracks he also shows off a luscious low register.

The instrumental and electronic backing also comes in layers of colors, sounds and textures. Put together, this album gets better and better with each listening, as your ear discovers more and more sonic and lyrical depths. Oh, and did I say that it will have you dancing uncontrollably on tracks like Shady and Trespassing? And crying with sympathetic pain on Underneath and Outlaws of Love?

We had to wait over two years for this sophomore album, but it was worth it. Way to go, Lambert
on May 15, 2012
There are very few albums I like at first listen. This one reeled me in from the start. Adam Lambert's vocals shine throughout the entire album showing a range and depth to his vocal prowness like no other male pop singer out there today. Underneath is a beautiful work of art that stands on its own. This is a must have for any collection.
on May 15, 2012
What can I say that hasn't already been said?
His voice is absolutely amazing.

His high notes just seem to shoot out like laser beams for lack of a better description.

There is no singer out there with the pipes that Adam Lambert now has.
Even if you don't like his type of music, just to hear what he is able to do with his voice, which is beyond description, is well worth the money of this CD.

I know a classical crossover artist in the U.K. who is is blown away by what he is able to do with his voice.

Now for the CD and songs.

WOW and WOW again.

Outlaws of Love
Runnin'
Take Back
Nirvana

Now for songs that blow me away:
Cuckoo
Never Close Our Eyes
Pop That Lock
Chokehold
Underneath
Runnin'
Broken English

My favorites will probably change back and forth, but UNDERNEATH is absolutely amazing
RUNNIN' is too.
The more I listen to the vocals in Pop That Lock........Wow.

The more you listen the more you'll find.

A really good pair of headphones will really take you to another place.
Unbelievable voice !!
I'd give 10 stars if it were at all possible.

Way to go ADAM !!!
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon May 15, 2012
On his official sophomore album, Adam Lambert appears to have decided on a singular musical direction (unlike his multi-faceted debut which I loved, mind you), and that is Dance/Pop with a Rock tinge, with a liberal sprinkling of Michael Jackson-style vocals.

Taking no prisoners right from the opening salvo of the stomping "Trespassing" (a Pharrell Williams production reminiscent of Queen's "Another One Bites The Dust"), "Cuckoo" (with a very catchy chorus), the dark sublime "Shady" (featuring Nile Rodgers on funky guitars and Sam Sparro and sounding very MJ), and the guitar-festooned "Never Close Our Eyes", there's loads to get your groove to.

It's in the ballads that he truly connects and soars emotionally and vocally: "Better Than I Know Myself", the jittery "Broken English", the touching string-swathed theatrical "Underneath" ("Everybody wants to talk about a freak, no one wants to dig that deep" he sings also telling us about the "red river that streams underneath") which exposes his vulnerability (my favourite), the incredibly catchy and rocky "Chokehold", the tender "Outlaws Of Love" (sung in a tremulous upper register - my other favourite), "Runnin'" (with the beats doing just that at the chorus, and Lambert scaling octaves with fluid ease), and "Nirvana".

Stomping fun which still gives one a peek into Adam Lambert's soul.
on May 16, 2012
I have to say right upfront that I don't like much pop music. I don't like the simple-mindedness and arrogance, the lack of freshness, the sub-par instrumentals, I don't like the over-the-board electronics and production. The state of the genre in 2012 is in my opinion abysmal: studded with self-involved "stars" with little talent, no real vocal ability, a lot of auto-tuning, gang-borne posturing, non-innovative songs.
So, although I am a fan of Adam's first album and of Adam as a person, I was wary of this album. I have spent weeks searching out the accoustic versions of these new songs online, feeling certain that the studio versions on the album would fall short for me.
I was wrong. On so many levels. Adam Lambert has re-introduced me to what I loved about pop YEARS ago. This album is an absolutely amazing collection of songs that speak to your need to get up and dance, to your mourning for lost loves, for your yearning to take a stand for yourself in a difficult world. They are musically, sonically superior to much of what is out there, and Adam's soaring, sure-footed vocals are the icing on the cake. There is not a single song on the album that I haven't played on repeat. The fact that Adam was heavily involved in writing 12/15 songs and is executive producer for the album, speaks to his enormous vision and talent.
As others have mentioned, don't deprive yourself of the Deluxe version: the three extra songs are some of the best on the album.
This collection is destined for greatness when Grammy nominations come around.
on May 15, 2012
I'm very snobbish about my music because I'm a Led Zepplin and Queen gal. However, Lambert delivers with this one. It's got a nice back beat throughout and sounds, at times, a bit like M. Jackson and Queen mixed together. The upbeat dance tracks are just that, fun and make you want to move. The ballad side of the album is heart-breaking and joyful at times.

My personal favorites: Underneath and Runnin (bonus track on deluxe), coming in a very close 2nd is Shady - that has Niles Rogers on it from Chic...it's funky, and Cuckoo - which is just fun.

I'm also partial to Naked Love and the title track Trespassing...

I think it's well worth the listen and the money. I would give it a 4.5 stars, but I can't, so I gave it 5. It's better than 4 stars.
on May 15, 2012
How rare is it to find a CD where you love every song? This is it. If you like happy dance music this is a must have. Runnin' is my current favorite, but I'm sure that will change every day. I have never heard Adam's lower register and it is just as amazing as his high register. So sexy!
on May 15, 2012
This is a must get album! It touches on so many levels, it's an overall incredible album!Luv It & this is a great gift to get all! I can't get enough, keep listening over & over!