Industrial-Sized Deals Shop all Back to School Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Disturbed $5 Off Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Shop Popular Services pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Big Savings in the Amazon Fall Sportsman Event Baby Sale

I Have been obsessed with the music of Phish for more than a year now and consider them to be one of the best bands (if not the best) of their time. When I heard Trey was coming out with a solo album I was ecstatic since the band hasn't released any new material since Farmhouse. When I got the record and put it in the stereo I was blown away. It had the avante garde edge of Phish with stronger songs and much more dynamic sound. It it was a thrill to hear the powerful horns, funky rhythms, and terrific guitar playing. Push on Til Day exhibits Trey's exceptional talent on guitar with an amazing solo that mixes the jazziness of Phish's earlier effort with a strong, bluesy feel. Caymen Review, Alive Again, and Ether Sunday show considerable reggae influence and are highlights of the album. So what if it isn't Phish. It retains all the great qualities of Phish and simply expands on them. Its not Junta or Picture of Nectar, however, it is a must have for any Phish fan. Trey truly shows that he can hold his own without Phish; this cd is more than enough proof.
on May 7, 2002
Enough with the comparisons to Phish... The horn section delivers a solid punch to add to the hardline grooves of bassist Markellis and drummer Lawton. It's nice and rhythmic with a lot of Afro-Cuban influence. Trey is the undisputed leader of this band and he shows it. He wrote all the music, including the horn charts. Quite a departure from Phish, which is a good thing since we don't know how long they will be "resting" (us phans didn't need to be teased with Phishy type songs!) Go catch Trey this summer, you will not be disappointed. And get this CD, it's really great to listen to. Horns kick [behind]. Highlights include the whole album. Really great lyrics by Tom Marshall on "Flock of Words." I love this disc.
on May 2, 2002
Well, I've been a Phish fan for years, always prone to two styles of jamming they produce, the spacefunk, and the chaos. This Trey CD doesn't capture the essence of Phish, or those two styles of Phish jamming I enjoy the most, and it's clear that it's not supposed to. It does do a great job of summarizing the last two years of solo touring Trey has been up to, though. Well, if you haven't heard it, the album is loaded with great party music. The track "Push on 'til the Day" is a jazz funk caribbean latino rock out jamboree, guaranteed to make ya shake, that displays best what Trey wants to do with this project. He wants people of all races, all ages, all that stuff, to appreciate what he's done. He wants little kids to boogie down and music aficionados (aka snobs) to say, "Hmmm, that's pretty decent stuff." So, unless you hate Trey Anastasio and that's all there is to it, you should go on and pick up this album. And don't expect much mellow. It's a rip roarin' party time boogie funk extravaganza you just can't keep a lid on! Yup.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Trey's first solo effort, sans One Man's Trash, is really anything but. Supported by a nine member backing band, with some special guests strewn about, the sum of all the parts make for a quite outstanding whole. These road tested songs translate to the studio seamlessly. Alive again, although not my favorite track establishes momentum from the onset that never stops until the last note of Ether Sunday. The bouyancy of Cayman Review offers a deviation from standard phish guitar licks, while Push On Til' The Day offers horn filled grooviness that would entice anyone to dance. Night Speaks sees Trey creep back out of his standard playing by using a more crunchy guitar tone that illustrates just how eclectic this album is. The supporting vocals and horns are all placed perfectly like a fine tuned orchestra, which is what we all know Trey is moving towards as his music grows. Some of the slower songs(i.e. Flock of Words and Drifting) don't detract from the album. Placed perfecly, they offer some meaningful life lessons presented pleasantly to the ear. The album ends as strongly as it starts, with a funk/reggae vibe that could only be pulled off by a man who is a guitar viruoso and experimenting conductor. The risks unequivocally pay off as well as the choice of each backing band member. After one listen, it stayed in my CD player for quite some time.
on June 12, 2003
This is the best Phish (catch) of the day. This is some good Phish! More like, good Anastasio! I've never been a fan of Phish, until I saw a special "cameo-appearance" of Trey and his entourage on Fox TV's, "The Simpson's." It showed the band performing a gig for the citizens of Springfield, partying with Homer and the gang. (Hence, the marijuana use and the heavy beer-drinking they were doing on the show.) Needless to say, It made me laugh, to seeing them perform in front of this large backdrop, of a marijuana plant. Nonetheless, they really know how to make good music and working the crowd. I was so intrigued by them.
I was so delighted, to hear Trey's self-titled album. I got his
album at a record store - on a whim - to discovering the talent of Trey's prolific, musical-prowess. (However, I don't have any of Phish CD's.) The album comes-off sounding a little bit like: Jimi Hendrix, Santana and Eric Clapton. The compositions on this album, are a mix of different musical-genres: part blues, funk, jazz, and then some....Trey's "the master" with the guitar. He's so smooth and articulate.
With the beautiful-harmonies of the "horn section" playing in some of the songs, gives the music an up-tempo, brassy-like feel. With its "funky-riffs" and catchy lyrics from "Alive Again" and "Cayman Review" - it provokes the listener to "get up and dance."
Although, there are some songs like "Flock Of Words" and "Ether Sunday" that you can chill to. You've got to be able to "dig-deeper" to finding the meaning of some of the lyrics, in the songs. I haven't the foggiest-idea of what "Ray Dawn Balloon" is all about....Is the song about a guy named Ray, who takes his "hot-air balloon" for rides at the "break-of-dawn?" Frankly, I don't know. Funny huh? It's an instrumental guitar-solo with a wonderful "string-arrangment." I liked the horn-driven, string-tinged "At The Gazebo." You have to take a listen to this album, it'll stir-up your emotions and make you "get-up and dance."
on June 25, 2002
This is such an interesting CD...I was actually not aware Trey was coming out with a new album until a friend told me about it. I have since had the opportunity to listen to it and will be purchasing it soon. I at first thought it would sound a lot like Phish, but it is surprisingly very different.
Although from time to time you can hear previous Phish influences, this is overall a very different album. The backup gospel singers, horn section, and strings in combination give it a very interesting and unique sound. I've never heard anything quite like the material on this album before. Overall, it's a very eclectic mix of funk, country, and improv...rather hard to describe. You'll have to hear it to understand :)
I'd definitely recommend this album to anyone, Phish fan or not. There's something on it for everybody...I guarantee you'll enjoy it.
on May 7, 2002
I've listened to this CD about 20 times since I picked it up last week, and it's flawless! I was afraid that Trey would release a Phish-lite CD, but that is not the case here. Playing with new musicians has definatley lit the creative spark, missing over the last few Phish albums, and I can't wait to see this group live. Amazing playing and tight arrangements. If you are as sick of the radio friendly [music] out there today as I am, pick up this CD. It will be your soundtrack for Summer 2002 and beyond.
on January 31, 2006
I thought on "Shine" he strayed a little too far away from his classic "Trey" sound, however, this album is a perfect blend between his Phish roots and his own personality; plus his pure views on music and music theory really shine through very well, no pun intended. If you consider yourself a Trey fan and a Trey lover, this is a necessary addition to your collection; these tracks are exemplary.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Trey Anastasio does a great job with his new band of superb players. His guitar work is not as relentlessly meandering as it has been in the past most likely as a result of not having to carry the same sonic load he did with Phish. All of the songs have the best qualities of Phish compositions without wandering into obscureland. The feel of the album is like a hipper-than-thou "Farmhouse"...and that's GOOD!
Hopefully, he will keep playing with just about anyone versus focusing on any one band as he seems to do best when he is pursuing change (including here). Not just for the Phish Heads!
While that former band of his may have gotten an early rap as the next Dead, it is clear on this work why that tag is so unfair. The only things this album has in common with anything by the Dead is that it is full of very pleasant surprises and the band includes superb fretwork.
Wouldn't it be nice if Trey could do an acoustic album with Ry Cooder and those slammin' Cuban musicians?
on August 25, 2002
I find it amazing at how horribly this album and its tour have bombed. The album is an impressive solo debut by a guitar genius, and a great backing band, yet the buzz about the album outside of the Phish/jamband community has fallen completely flat. As for the tour, Trey's band puts on a great live show, but they have consistently failed to sell out even 2,000 seat theaters for a large part of the year. Hopefully, with Phish coming back, Trey won't abandon his solo forays and projects (i.e. Oysterhead). On to the song by song breakdown:
1. Alive Again: The first single (and probably last) single off of the album, Alive Again starts off the album with a Mediterranean feeling. It sets the tone for the album, and is a solid opener. Some good horns and a little bit of guitarwork, but not much. Decent vocals, considering its Trey (We all know he can't sing too well...) Background vocals are good as well.
2. Cayman Review: Don't really like the guitar opening 5/6 seconds into the bass, because it just doesn't go together. Vocals are a little annoying on this track, but the guitarwork goes with bass and drums. Like the horns here as well. While jammed out well in concert, this track is actually one of the weaker ones on the album.
3. Push On 'Til The Day: Starts off softer than previous two tracks. Creates a soft backdrop before the softer lyrics. I like the silkier feeling of this part of the song. It leads into a decent horn section. The jam segment is great on here, with a lot of wailing guitar. The lyrics aren't too great (a little soft), but they're not the point of the song.
4. Night Speaks To A Woman: Starts off with a similar guitar riff to Cayman Review. The difference is that this the type of song that riff was created for. The chorus is extremely catchy, but in a good way. The lyrics are pretty good, and they are performed well. Good background guitar and great background vocals.
5. Flock Of Words: The lighter start and overall feel of this song is unlike the other songs on the album. Love the orchestra feeling you get later in the song. It almost sounds like a ballad, which, depending on your musical tastes, is either good or bad. In my case, it was pretty good. Overall, a nice, soft song.
6. Money, Love And Change: Musical style is similar to Night Speaks to a Woman, with same style lyrics, guitar, and horns. The lyrics are great, and the background vocals go with Trey's vocals great. The lyrics fuzz a little, and clear out for the chorus, which I didn't like too much, but thats only a minor issue. The ending fadeout is a little weak also. I like this a little more than Night Speaks to a Woman, but I'm sure there are those who would disagree with me.
7. Drifting: A nice feel good song, with mellowish opening on the keys. The key to this song is atmostphere, you feel like you're in some beautiful place, enjoying awesome scenery and surroundings. One of the shorter songs on the cd, but definetly one of the better tracks, any longer and it would have detracted from it.
8. At The Gazebo: This is definetly one my favorite tracks. Arranged in a classical sense, its just a great instrumental. This song is just so wonderful to listen to. Performed with an orchestra, it is just so awesomely beautiful, I drift off every time that I listen to it, and feel better about whatever I'm doing.
9. Mr. Completely: Of all the songs on the cd, I would've thought this one would be the single. It actually feels like a pop song, with airy vocals and a chorus that sticks to your mind. While the music on here is decent, I really don't like the drums here, as they seem thrown together. Great guitar in the middle of the song. Has a different ending, but not so much one that I like.
10. Ray Dawn Balloon: This is actually, in general, the same song as Radon Balloon, off of Oysterhead's Grand Pecking Order (Remember, Oysterhead was Trey, Les Claypool, and Stewart Copeland...) While it kind of baffles the mind on why they would put this track on the cd, its another intrumental, and its also beautiful. I don't like it as much as At the Gazebo, but that does not make it a bad track.
11. Last Tube: Quite simply, this is a jam session in the studio. Sure there may be lyrics, but what you're listening to is 11+ plus minutes of horns, guitars, and drums playing wonderfully together. I love the horns in this song perhaps more than any other, and this song is one of my favorites on here.
12. Ether Sunday: Wonderfully jazzy feel to the end track of the cd. The lyrics are decent on here, but nothing special. Certainly not the most musically amazing track on the disc, but its a solid closer to solid disc.
So overall, this disc is one of the most solid cds that I've purchased in awhile. The great thing about it is that none of the tracks are extremely weak, meaning you can listen to the whole disc from head to tail without having to skip a song. My favorites are probably "Money, Love, and Change", "At the Gazebo", and "Last Tube". And remember, if you ever get a chance to catch Trey and band on tour, don't pass it up! They rock live!