4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Mid-Range Crayon Option
Published on December 26, 2010 by goonius

I bought each of the following three brands of crayons based on them being advertised as being "JUMBO", looking for the largest crayons, since at the local store(s) (mainly just going to Walmart), the definition of JUMBO isn't what it used to be!

Published on June 29, 2011 by T. C. Bader

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Mid-Range Crayon Option, December 26, 2010
goonius (a room in a house on a street in a city just like any other.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Triangular Crayons Extra Jumbo (12 colors) (Toy)
In the past few years I simply haven't been able to stand Crayola crayons. They stink. In fact, they seem to stink worse than I remembered them as a child. We've tried and loved the German brand, Stockmar, which are made of beeswax and has colors which are wonderful and vivid. But sometimes - like for a Christmas stocking - it's fun to have a fresh, new set of crayons, without any broken ones or dulled tips -- and without shelling out $25. So, for stocking stuffers this year, I took a chance on P'kolino.

I do like these crayons. They cost about a fifth what a similar Stockmar set would cost - and while they aren't top notch, they are nonetheless quite nice. They are good quality, and have very nice colors, consistency and feel to them. They are the perfect size and shape for my three year old. They don't stink like Crayolas do. They have a mild petroleum-product type smell, but it's not overpowering. They come in an attractive clear barrel-shaped plastic container, and if one is careful, can be stored in the same. If they are crammed in, they are a bit difficult to get out.

One of the biggest selling points for me with these crayons was that, unlike much of what the Crayola makes these days, P'kolino is primarily made in Europe (these are made in Spain) -- and none of their art supplies are made in China.

If you're looking for primo art supplies, I'd still recommend Stockmar. But if you're looking for an economical alternative to Crayola, that is not made of questionable materials in the third world, I think these are a fantastic alternative.

4.0 out of 5 stars Big Enough, December 4, 2010
This review is from: Triangular Crayons Extra Jumbo (12 colors) (Toy)
These crayons are just as big around as Crayola jumbo crayons...only better because they're triangular, not covered with paper, and more durable. I can't even scrape the wax off with my nail if I try. I think these will hold up for quite some time. Also, I like that it comes with a peach/skin-tone colored crayon rather than a white one. White always seemed like such a useless crayon to me, unless you plan on buying black paper.

So, in my opinion these are "jumbo" but not "extra" jumbo. How big do people want their crayons anyway?

1.0 out of 5 stars (8) Crayola Crayons by Crayola VS (12) Triangle Crayons Extra Jumbo by P'Kolino VS (12) Super Jumbo Wax Crayons by Alex Toys, June 29, 2011
This review is from: Triangular Crayons Extra Jumbo (12 colors) (Toy)

I actually got these crayons for my elderly disabled mother, who suffered a stroke, and lost the use of her right arm/hand, but I hope that she will eventually be able to color with her right hand again, but needs a larger sized crayon in order to be able to hold on to them. Currently, she uses her left arm/hand to color.

I will use the metric system to measure, since it is easier for me to give a more accurate description on their actual size.

This is the information that I wish I knew before I bought each set:

Length: 8.6 cm
Tip Length: 2cm
One Side of the triangle: 1.2 cm
Quantity: 12

Based on all of this, I would recommend either the Crayola 8-Pack Crayons - Jumbo (So Big) Size (Single Box) or Super Jumbo Wax Crayons, if you are truly looking for JUMBO crayons. The Crayola crayons were just a little bit bigger in length and slightly bigger around than the twelve "Super Jumbo Wax Crayons" by Alex. If I was to choose between these two, I suppose I would go with Super Jumbo Wax Crayons, since you would get twelve different colors, and the size difference isn't that much to make the Crayola's stand out that much.

The Triangular Crayons Extra Jumbo (12 colors) were the smallest. As a matter of fact, there wasn't anything "Extra Jumbo" about them. They are the same size as the "Jumbo" sized crayons you can get at your local WalMart. I would hate to use their "average" sized crayons! I just noticed that the packaging says that they were made in Europe, which might explain it, since their cars are a bit on the "Wee" size! The only positive thing about the triangular crayons is that they fit in a nice cylinder 9.7 cm long by 4.5 cm in diameter.

I hope this review helps you pick the right size!

Please leave a comment if you find any other crayons of truly large size that you like!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great colors and good value, May 24, 2012
This review is from: Triangular Crayons Extra Jumbo (12 colors) (Toy)
The advantage to these crayons is that they don't have paper wrappers. Which makes it really easy for my daughter to use them and I think it's easier for her to understand how they work and the colors she can expect. What I noticed immediately was how bright the colors were and how easy they were to use. They don't require much pressure and leave great color - perfect for a toddler exploring art. Would love to get a larger pack with more colors when she gets older!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great crayons for my toddler, July 4, 2011
This review is from: Triangular Crayons Extra Jumbo (12 colors) (Toy)
These crayons are great for my two year old. She loves that they all fit in the little canister and I love that they don't smell like regular crayons or smear. They are very nice colors and don't break even when dropped on the wood floor. So far, we love these.

5.0 out of 5 stars super toddler crayons, August 13, 2011
This review is from: Triangular Crayons Extra Jumbo (12 colors) (Toy)
It took me two years to find the perfect toddler crayon, and these are it!
These crayons are thick and tough to snap or crumble.
They are not satisfyingly chewy(but still non-toxic, just in case).
They have bright vibrant color.
They do not roll away from my sensitive little artist.

I do not understand the complaints about these crayons not being "jumbo" enough. They are perfectly sized for my kids(ages 4.5 and 2) and they are far more durable then the Other Brand crayons. I don't need huge crayons, I need crayons that will last for a good spell and not be chewed/broken to bits.

I love 'em. My boys love 'em. I am buying another set so that we don't have any more fights about who gets the blue, but that is my only problem with the crayons, and one that is easily fixed. Hooray!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product!, September 7, 2010
This review is from: Triangular Crayons Extra Jumbo (12 colors) (Toy)
These crayons are great! The shape is easier for my toddler to hold than a round crayon, and the colors are so beautiful and true. And no pesky wrappers. I am so glad I got these.

1.0 out of 5 stars An issue with the distributor?, June 23, 2012
= Durability:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Triangular Crayons Extra Jumbo (12 colors) (Toy)
We ordered these crayons last week and I was dismayed to find that the package we received was packed without a lid - the contents were spilled into the box, and one crayon was missing. I returned the crayons and was promptly sent another set - this time, all crayons were accounted for but one of the crayons was broken - the nature of the break clearly indicates that it was broken before it was sent, not damaged in transit. I don't feel like going through the rigmarole of sending back a single package of crayons yet again, but it seems like these items are not checked at all before being tossed into boxes for delivery to customers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great color, wipes off easily with just water, April 27, 2014
This review is from: Triangular Crayons Extra Jumbo (12 colors) (Toy)
Love these crayons! They color beautifully and wipe easily with just water from every surface we've tried. They don't break or crumble like our old crayola sets did, and I like that they are made with non-toxic, natural ingredients- since my youngest still likes to chew on crayons, that is a big concern for me. The container is great for storage too. Highly recommend! I've since purchased more for traveling and for grandma's house.

5.0 out of 5 stars Durable and bright, March 6, 2014
redivy (blacksburg, va) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Triangular Crayons Extra Jumbo (12 colors) (Toy)
My toddler twins love these crayons. The colors are bright and they crayons are long-lasting. The triangular shape is perfect for small hands. We've only had one break after several months of regular use! I will certainly be ordering another set of these soon.

Triangular Crayons Extra Jumbo (12 colors)
$7.99