4.0 out of 5 stars Fresh
Compared to my usual reading this book was fresh and enjoyable. The lingo was a little difficult at first but before I knew it i had the understanding of a south side belly stick from big windy and the con all came together. I'll read more by this author.
Published 9 months ago by Kevin Armstrong

2.0 out of 5 stars Eh.
This novel is, of course, legendary. My dad used to sell tons of them in his bookstores when I was a kid. So I was always curious about their popularity.

Finally, having acquired this book, I was eager to read it.

Published 18 months ago by James Robert Smith

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Eh., August 27, 2013
James Robert Smith (Matthews, NC United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Trick Baby (Kindle Edition)

Finally, having acquired this book, I was eager to read it.

While giving a supposed insider's look into the underworld of this particular society, it isn't very well written. The style is simple, but not very engaging. Basically...I just didn't believe the stories Slim was telling. Maybe some of them are true, but most of them ring quite false.

I was disappointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fresh, May 31, 2014

4.0 out of 5 stars What a Hoot, June 21, 2014
This review is from: Trick Baby (Paperback)
We saw a documentary on Iceberg Slim on cable and thought it would be fun to try out his books. We can both highly recommend reading this and Pimp which is not standard literary material but it if fun to experience another side of life.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pimps up ho's down!, July 1, 2014
This review is from: Trick Baby (Kindle Edition)
Pimping ain't easy! But for real. Really interesting book. A portrait of life I have never seen before. A fun read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Iceberg Slims's Trick Baby, November 19, 2013
This review is from: Trick Baby (Paperback)
I used to read Iceberg Slim's books as a young teenager after my father had gone to work. I found the book fascinating as it revealed the truth about ghetto living. Growing up in the ghetto, I was exposed to pimps, prostitutes, drug dealers and numbers hustlers. People think that many people choose this lifestyle but sometimes it is forced upon them because of poverty and racism. One day I want to teach Black Literature on a college level and I think that all of Iceberg's Slims books should be required reading for African Americans.

5.0 out of 5 stars LIKE NOTHING I HAVE READ BEFORE...., January 24, 2013
This review is from: Trick Baby (Paperback)
Iceberg Slim has done it again! Trick Baby is the second book that I have read by him, and I must say it was damn good. I never knew that people could actually make a living and a good living at that just by running cons on dumb folks. Blue and White Folks are the epitome of true hustlers, and knowing how to make money. Their relationship is timeless. This book gives u a good look into a true friendship and hardships that they both endured along the way. I recommend it to everyone!

5.0 out of 5 stars riveting, September 3, 2014
This review is from: Trick Baby (Kindle Edition)
This book is not just a simple pulp tale. It is street mythology, classic literature, and moving as any classic. Iceberg Slim crafted a character so rich and compelling, it was hard not to feel the angst of White Folks. His complex relationships run so deep and familiar, that it transcends all barriers of race, religion, or sex. A must read for any one interested in the heartbeat of humanity.

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining and brilliant storytelling, June 5, 2014
This review is from: Trick Baby (Kindle Edition)
The Angle that this book is written on is brilliantly executed, most especially if you've read "Pimp" by Iceberg Slim (see preface and epilogue). The vivid art of story telling, entertainment, constant rumor, and extensive rundowns keep the reader engaged and active at all times. You feel like apart of the crew when you digest the relationship of "Folks" and "Blue." The ending of the book leaves something to be desired, which is why I will be reading the "Long white con" next.

4.0 out of 5 stars It's a good book, May 27, 2014
Rachypoo (Pittsburgh, PA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Trick Baby (Kindle Edition)
This book is interesting. I like how it spells out the con. Now I know what to look for to avoid being taken. I liked this book and plan on reading more by iceberg slim.

5.0 out of 5 stars great, May 17, 2014
This review is from: Trick Baby (Kindle Edition)
Loved reading this book, very entertaining and captivating. The way the author wrote it definitely puts you right into the scene. I love the fact that this wuz a true story. Shows a side of history they don't tell you about.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Trick Baby
Trick Baby by Iceberg Slim (Paperback - September 13, 2011)
$15.99 $13.98