Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Trick Baby
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro STEM

Format: Paperback|Change

on November 19, 2013
I used to read Iceberg Slim's books as a young teenager after my father had gone to work. I found the book fascinating as it revealed the truth about ghetto living. Growing up in the ghetto, I was exposed to pimps, prostitutes, drug dealers and numbers hustlers. People think that many people choose this lifestyle but sometimes it is forced upon them because of poverty and racism. One day I want to teach Black Literature on a college level and I think that all of Iceberg's Slims books should be required reading for African Americans.
on September 3, 2014
This book is not just a simple pulp tale. It is street mythology, classic literature, and moving as any classic. Iceberg Slim crafted a character so rich and compelling, it was hard not to feel the angst of White Folks. His complex relationships run so deep and familiar, that it transcends all barriers of race, religion, or sex. A must read for any one interested in the heartbeat of humanity.
on May 31, 2014
Compared to my usual reading this book was fresh and enjoyable. The lingo was a little difficult at first but before I knew it i had the understanding of a south side belly stick from big windy and the con all came together. I'll read more by this author.
on February 4, 2016
This is not the place to start with Iceberg Slim.
Pimp seems to the the peak.
Not that this is lame, just that the weird spark that was present in Pimp seems to be missing.
Perhaps Slim preferred to pimp game to the con game.
Still its street, it could hip you, but as a read not so tight.
on September 29, 2015
WOW ! - very impressive and always has your interest. Captures and gives a look into real people and real life and captures you in and throughout the book. I have a couple of his other books that I am looking forward to reading.
on May 12, 2014
The lingo, at first, is a little tough to comprehend but in context and makes sense. I thought it might be a little too much but once you immerse yourself into the Windy city streets with Folks and Blue, you can't put this one down. Slim does a great job describing things from his second hand story. I'll start reading either 'Pimp' or 'Long White Con' next based on what I read here.
on January 1, 2016
Johnny O'Brien , aka 'White Folks'-born of a white father and black mother, lives in black belt Chicago, but easily passes for white. He teams up with Blue Howard and goes into the con game, milking mark after mark for 20 odd years. And then they make a fatal error and con the wrong mark and cross the syndicate ....
This is a brilliant book that grips the whole way through and really takes you into the grinding poverty and crime of Chicago's southside. It has it's flaws , but flaws similar to those you find in Upton Sinclair's great novels-cartoon characters maybe, or the 'Gone With the Wiund' moment where White Folks has a painful cavity in 1942 and finally gets it filled in 1945!-but it doesn't matter as it all illustrates and brings to vicious life the world Iceberg Slim operated in. If the cons seem dated, remember the book was written in 1967 and the cons are only so well known now thanks to 'Trick Baby'. Todays cons are necessarily different, but the Blue and White Folks methods still apply.
The book also acts as a social record of the racism and hatreds of the times that blew up at the time this book was written, and still affect America today. In every way this book remains fresh and vital.
It's been a long time since an author new to me has excited me as much as Iceberg Slim and 'Trick Baby' has. I cant wait to get the other six he wrote.
on January 24, 2013
Iceberg Slim has done it again! Trick Baby is the second book that I have read by him, and I must say it was damn good. I never knew that people could actually make a living and a good living at that just by running cons on dumb folks. Blue and White Folks are the epitome of true hustlers, and knowing how to make money. Their relationship is timeless. This book gives u a good look into a true friendship and hardships that they both endured along the way. I recommend it to everyone!
on February 4, 2016
Great story, it starts off a little slow and lags in some portions but I enjoyed the read and there is one chapter called "Haters" that is simply powerful. This book is good because it situates the story within a racial and economic context and per usual Slim's analysis of human behavior is refreshingly spot on and raw. I recommend it!
on June 21, 2014
We saw a documentary on Iceberg Slim on cable and thought it would be fun to try out his books. We can both highly recommend reading this and Pimp which is not standard literary material but it if fun to experience another side of life.