5.0 out of 5 stars Rugged Case
After nearly dropping my ipad several times (having previously killed a Kindle by dropping it) I started looking for a rugged case that would protect against dropping damage and maybe even give me a little better grip so I don't drop it at all.

Published on November 3, 2010 by Richard L. Williams

2.0 out of 5 stars Rugged, but not precisionly made
Published on July 10, 2011 by daMauiKid

5.0 out of 5 stars Rugged Case, November 3, 2010
This review is from: Trident Kraken Hybrid Case for iPad - Yellow (Personal Computers)

I had purchased a leather flip case for my (new) Kindle and liked it very much. It was made slightly larger than the kindle so that in the corners there was 1/8 - 1/4 inch or so of case beyond the Kindle. I think this will provide enough padding if (when) I drop it on the corner. I was looking for a case for the iPad that would also provide similar protection for the corners. After looking at a bunch of leather/vinyl flip cases (on line) I could not see one that I thought would work.

So then I searched for other (non-flip) iPad cases and selected three that looked promising. The Zcover GloveOne, Otterbox Commuter and the Trident Kracken all looked like they might do the job so I ordered one of each to get a hands-on look at them.

The Zcover is a simple rubberized "bumper" sleeve that fits around the outside edge of the iPad. It really did not provide enough corner padding. I'd say it had 1/16" of rubber at the corner. So "nope" on that one.

Then I unpacked the Otterbox Commuter. I anticipated that this would be the one because Otterbox makes some good good boxes. It comes in two pieces. It consists of a thin rubberized sleeve that fits around the iPad and a hard plastic that clips around the iPad and sleeve (Here is a video: [...]
). It also includes a thin plastic screen protector. In the end I again thought that it did not have enough corner protection, but was probably better than the Zcover.

The Kracken consists of four pieces. A two part plastic case; top and bottom, a rubberized sleeve and a screen protector. The two plastic pieces completely enclose the iPad. You lay the iPad in the bottom part, lay the screen protector over the iPad then clip on the top. Then you slip the sleeve around the whole thing. After assembly the whole thing felt very "military" if you know what I mean. (felt kind of heavy also: 2 lbs. 6 1/2 ozs.). ([...])

There was really no contest. I thought the Kracken would provide the protection I was looking for. Additionally the case has a concave contour on the back so that you can pick it up by an edge and NOT feel like it would slip out of your hand easily. The rubberized sleeve on the being on the outside of the case also lent to a secure feel. It surprised me that this is what I liked more than the good corner padding.

So I chose the Kracken. I did not order the Otterbox Defender ([...]) to look at because it was more expensive. I think that it is very similar in concept to the Kracken. As a side note the Kracken allows much easier access to the USB/Charging port than on either of the Otterbox cases.

If you are looking for a skinny case for your iPad you don't want either the Otterbox or the Kracken. With the Kraken on the iPad it is about 1" thick.

4.0 out of 5 stars Best ipad 1 Kid Case, February 22, 2012
I got this case for my daughter Ipad 1 and this is a great case. It comes in a few different colors and it does what it says. It does make the ipad heaver and a little bulkier but it keeps the unit protected. My 5 year old has dropped it 1 or 2 times and it took a licking and kept on ticking. But there are a few things that I don't like about. First thing, it took me a while to find out how to even open up the case to put the ipad inside. It did not have any instructions on what to do or how to pop it open. The next thing is for the head phones. It comes with a extension so you can plug in your head phones, the problem with this is that you have a jack extender sticking out of the ipad and also if you lose this then you have a problem plugging in your head phone. Besides this I think this is a great case for kids or for clumsy adults.

Product (Does the item do what it says) = A
Build (Material it is made out of) = A
Assembly (Putting it together) = A-
Overall ( After everything is done and I had time with it ) = A-

Your Friendly Neighborhood Consumer
BK_Shark

5.0 out of 5 stars A toddler's BEST FRIEND, September 22, 2011
This case is amazing. I can't tell you how many times my husband and I have told each other, "Thank GOD for that case! Our iPad would be ruined without it!" in the past 2 weeks that we have owned it. Highly recommend, especially if you have little ones who will be using it. It's a small investment to keep a huge investment scratch, dirt, and worry-free.

5.0 out of 5 stars I like!, December 27, 2011
Easy to put on or take off. Allows great protection from spills. Daughter has thrown up on it many times! Ipad still plugging along.

5.0 out of 5 stars Release the Kraken, December 12, 2011
I have been very happy with this case. It makes the I-Pad pretty heavy and unstable when typing but the Kraken has protected the I-Pad from many drops on all sorts of surfaces and the rubbery feel makes it easy to carry. I wish it had a handle or strap.

2.0 out of 5 stars Rugged, but not precisionly made, July 10, 2011
I purchased the case to protect my iPad2. It does that very well. I'm really disappointed to see the camera, on/off switch, and volume controls are all "off" a little bit. When using FaceTime the case cuts off 1/3 or more of the screen because it just doesn't line up right inside the case. I also cannot get the power button to work while in the case. Again because the extension in the case to reach the power button is "off". This case would be great if I didn't have to turn my iPad on and off before I put it into the case. I will likely return it, and try something else.

1.0 out of 5 stars poor fit, August 12, 2011
this does not fit well we cannot even turn it off we must let it sit to go into auto off mode
would NOT recomend

5.0 out of 5 stars Kraken Case IPAD review, April 7, 2011
I just purchased a black one and I love it. I was unsure if it was going too big and
make the IPAD oversized but I was mistaken. It looks cool and the protection it brings
is great, I have two childen, 10 and 12 and it is well loved and it makes me feel better knowing
it can survive being dropped or a drink being dropped on it . If you are a star trek fan you will also
love it, how Borg can you get....

Jakamo..Walnut Creek , ca

4.0 out of 5 stars good and fast, February 20, 2011
I orderd a trident kraker case (yellow) for my ipad.
2 days later we received it and we live in Belgium for 47 euro by order it at amazon.com
If I had to order it by trident europ I had to wayt for 14 days and I had to pay 70euro.

greatings