5.0 out of 5 stars HILARIOUS!
Published on May 24, 2000 by Lynn Snowden Picket

3.0 out of 5 stars For Humor Only
I just borrowed this book, and I'm certainly glad it was a quick laugh for free. However, for those who expected to learn how to day trade and make huge bucks, they'll be disappointed. The good thing is, that you'll only need about an hour or two to read the entire book, and you'll probably get a good laugh out of it.

I was impressed with how closely he...
Published on July 11, 2008 by F. Morse

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars HILARIOUS!, May 24, 2000
This review is from: Trillionaire Next Door: The Greedy Investor's Guide to Day Trading (Hardcover)
I've always admired Andy Borowitz's writing in The New Yorker, but I wondered how funny could Andy be about the stock market? Trust me, it's hilarious. Timely, witty and very fresh -- it's the kind of book that makes you want to read parts of it aloud to your friends, even if they're really, really busy and beg you not to. This is the perfect summer read -- and it would make a great Father's Day gift.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great investment!, July 1, 2000
By A Customer
The best investment advice you can get is to buy this book and read it instead of worrying about all those 16-year-olds whose stock options are worth more than the GNP of Portugal. It's hard to be funnier than the real traders, with their theories based on random walks, dartboards, hemlines, and the World Series, and it's even harder to be funnier than watching people lose money on flyer stocks with cute names like boo.com and Crazy Eddie, but this book makes it and then some, with completely hilarious discussions of making a stock go up by yelling at the screen, getting good investment advice (and a Big Gulp) at the 7-11, finding the right asset allocation model (don't forget the importance of lotto and combing the beach with a metal detector), and the crucial role of pizza in a day-trader's diet. The comparison of Adam Smith and Willow Bay, the description of Warren Buffet, "the myth of knowing what a company does," and some really wonderful graphs and charts are not only wildly funny, but .... amazingly insightful. This book is right on the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars so funny I laughed out loud in the shop like a fool, August 6, 2000
This is so very, very, very funny.
There is not much I can add to the other reviews except this: maybe it won't make you laugh (one reviewer hated it) but it probably will, it is very witty, if you trade at all you will know what it is talking about.
This book is GOOD FOR YOUR HEALTH !!!
Laughter is good, especially laughing at yourself in trading ... trading is serious business, but you don't have to take it seriously, it is better to keep lighthearted and clear headed. This book will make you laugh at yourself, and may help you make better decisions instead of getting caught up in spite, anger, frustration, aggravation. For that reason it is very valuable.
You won't find trading strategies or anything like that in it though, it is a comedy book.
I think it would make a great present for anyone who trades, I know that if someone bought it for me as a present I would be exceptionally pleased, there are hundreds of uncontrollable laughs in this book, and that is good for your heart.
I realise it is quite pricey, but I've paid more to see movies that weren't nearly as funny as this little gem.
Uh-oh, market's closing, gotta go......

5.0 out of 5 stars If it sounds too good to be true--go for it!, May 27, 2000
By A Customer
If you want to make someone happy, give them this book. The distilled yet rapid-fire wisdom Borowitz offers will be handed down for generations to come: How to trade in your sleep, how to understand the insider lingo that fancy Wall St. people use to exclude regular people, how to use a dartboard to pick stocks, why it's best not to know what the companies you invest in actually do....I've made gifts of this book to financiers and regular human beings and they all find it sidesplitting. Given the direction the market seems to be going, we all need a good laugh, and this is it. The book comes with upgrades: I logged onto [their] site and have been delighted to get breaking news bulletins about Greenspan's magic coin, Bill Gates' gift of a clock radio to the Department of Justice, etc.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant satire from a very funny writer, October 13, 2000
By A Customer
When one of my friends told me that this was the funniest book he'd ever read, I was skeptical, but I bought it anyway. When I kept my wife up half the night as I read the book in bed, laughing like a fiend, I had to admit he was right. Andy Borowitz, a laugh-out-loud writer whose work I'd seen in The New Yorker, has taken as his target our current obsession with money, the stock market, and instant wealth -- and he's hit a satirical bullseye. From the hysterical charts (How Day Trading Works: Buy Stock--Visit Sex Sites--Sell Stock--Become Trillionaire) to the ludicrous "Hot Stock Tips" (...a personal favorite of mine) to the "first person" accounts of Mountain Dew-swigging, Maria Bartiromo-obsessed, bathrobe-clad daytraders, Borowitz doesn't take any prisoners in this book. For the record, my favorite humor writers are Steve Martin, Dave Barry, and David Sedaris. After reading this screamingly funny book, you'd have to put Andy Borowitz up there, too.

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved the book and I am an actual millionaire., May 26, 2000
This book is really hilarious. Let me tell you the funniest jokes in it: Page 1: lines 3, 11, and 47; Page 2: lines 1, 9, and 33; Page 3: lines 14, 27, 39... oh hell, just buy your own copy.

5.0 out of 5 stars A WEALTH OF JOKES, May 29, 2000
This book did not make me rich but it really made me laugh! Borowitz manages to write more hilarious jokes per page than any writer I know of. I thoroughly enjoyed the book. (I'd rather be rich, though)

5.0 out of 5 stars Dangerously Funny -- Read at Own Risk, May 26, 2000
By A Customer
I'm laughing too hard to write more than a few lines... Borowitz is killing me... captures the spirit of this stock-market-obsessed age, then tortures it a bit... gotta go now -- my ribs are cracking...

5.0 out of 5 stars This Book Made My Father's Day Complete, June 21, 2001
By A Customer
I've been a stockbroker and an investor for over twenty-five years. My daughter says that I'm difficult to shop for, but this past Father's Day she hit the nail on the head with "The Trillionaire Next Door." A funny, FUNNY book! But it's more than that: it's a satiric catalogue of just about every stupid mistake investors (and, okay, stockbrokers, too) often make. Now I'm buying copies to give to all of my clients. It has a unique brand of humor that's really hard to describe in a review, but trust me -- if you're even a novice investor, you'll find plenty to laugh about (and learn from) in this book. Thank you, Nina (my lovely daughter)!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very, very funny., May 26, 2000
By A Customer
I read this while eating and TWICE I spat out salad from laughing with my mouth full. In the process, I made several million dollars on the stock market. So clearly the book does what it's supposed to do. In addition, it has the best dedication ever.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›