Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Trinity Murders (A Topper McMullen Story)
Safety Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Eli Paperboy The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

on November 21, 2011
I am so impressed with this new method of getting published. From what I can tell, it is the author's first, and kudos to a great job.

It must be hard to write an FBI/police procedural as a first effort, and it is clear the author did his homework. The characters ring true and there are several I would like to meet again.

This is a case of serial murder. The scenes are taut and clear. The action doesn't let up.

All in all a wonderful read and a terrific page-turner!
on September 16, 2013
Likes this one from the first page.

We have a serial killer. This killer, or is it killers, has killed 32 women in three STates.

Sgt. Trufant, Dallas PD, has been trying to get the FBI interested in this case for three years. No luck

Trufant knows he's got a serial killer out there but can't get anyone to listen. The thread connecting the murders is thin but in his gut Trufant knows he's right. There is a serial killer operating in three States.

The victims are all young girls. Runaways or street girls.

The bodies are all buried in areas where they will be found eventually.

The latest vicim is the freshest found so far. She's only been dead a week.

Topper McMullen isn't with the FBI when Trufant calls him. Trufant knows that Topper is the best profiler out there and he wants him to come to Dallas to look at the serial killer case he has.

Topper walked away from the FBI after a mission went sideways and he's at loose ends. He decides to head to Dallas as a consultant.

So begins one pretty darned good read.

We have serial killers, a young cop, a prisoner looking to live, someone who betrays the trust and Topper caught in the middle of what turns into one great story.

Oh yeah. We also get Minnie. she's currently on his FBI team and is the best hacker in the business. She turns out to be a gamebreaker in the case.

Five Stars.
on March 2, 2012
The first time that I saw Derek Jeter play, I couldn't wait for the next day's game to start so I could enjoy his play some more. I feel the same way about Dvorak's "The Trinity Murders".

What makes or breaks a book is strong believable characters. I really appreciate the work that Dvorak put into all of his characters. They were believable characters that were consistent with their actions.

The book sucked me in immediately, and didn't let up. It was a crisp read that kept me guessing. I never felt that the story dragged and was left wanting more.

I would highly recommend Jeff Dvorak's "The Trinity Murders" to any Michael Connelly fan. Can't wait for the second book to see what Topper and company do next.
on February 28, 2014
Dallas cop Sergeant Trufant invites Topper McMullen, on break from the FBI, to help him solve the mystery of a serial killer who has killed at least 32 women across three states. The Trinity Murders reminds me of the TV series Criminal Minds - you have an FBI profiler, a brilliant Tech Analyst, the local cops and a serial killer on the loose.

Story wise, The Trinity Murders is pretty much standard fare. Topper takes the case to clear his mind off his big mistake on the FBI team (would have been nice to know what that was in more detail, and earlier on in the story) and he's basically working in his own capacity to help the local cops, with only Minnie Marlow, the tech analyst, to help him. Minnie's pretty much a dead ringer for Penelope Garcia in Criminal Minds, except for her obsession with Mighty Mouse.

What drops the stars from a solid 3 to a 2, is mainly the writing style. Dvorak uses a lot of narration (slightly more info-dumpish, but not exactly) to move the story along, which makes it feel dryer and not as interesting as it could be. In the same way, the characters would have felt more "rounded" or more realistic if things about them were revealed in the course of the action/conversation rather than as part of the narration.

Overall, however, it was an okay read.
on September 5, 2012
If you are a fan of "Criminal Minds", then you will like this book. Topper McMullen is a former FBI profiler, trying to comes to term with a mistake that caused a terrible tragedy. He is called in on a case, and it is suitably creepy, with some unexpected twists. I really enjoyed it, and look forward to more books in this series
on January 5, 2012
This is a fantastic debut novel. Dvorak takes a tough subject and creates likable and believable characters to build and sustain the plot. I would have liked to have seen a little more development later in the book, as his writing is very descriptive and I was just getting into the flow of the novel when it started to resolve a little quickly. This did not detract from the book, though--and it is actually refreshing to read a work by an author who doesn't stretch a story just to fill the pages.I was also pleasantly surprised by some of the plot twists--this book wasn't predictable or formulaic.

If you are a fan of James Patterson, this new author will be right up your alley. I hadn't read this genre of mystery in a while, and I am eagerly awaiting the next book in this series.
on September 16, 2012
As some reviews have pointed out, the book could benefit from better editing as there are instances of wrong word usage and confusing sentence structure. But the plot, characters, pacing - everything that truly makes a good story - were excellent. Two criteria I use to determine if a book is good were met with flying colors: I could visualize the characters, settings, and action as I read, and I cared about what happened to the characters in the book enough to keep reading. I want to know more about Topper and his FBI team, and will definitely be reading Sun, Surf, and Suicide soon.
Ok, this book could have been good. Could have been. The plot Idea was interesting, but the execution was bad. This read like a horrible episode of Criminal Minds. Yes, the book seems to rip off several characters and themes of the show. Minnie was a poorly written Garcia. Each character, no matter how small a role, had a whole big back story that you got throughout the book. It took away from the story. The plot though thick, ended bleh, sort of anti-climactic. Though some parts drug on and on, others moved so quick you had to reread to understand. There were some editing errors which I could have looked past. But the whole story itself as a whole, does nothing to entice me to read more. I had to force myself to finish this. I just couldn't enjoy the story at all.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 5, 2011
Topper McMullen is a very interesting character and this is an excellent first novel in a series. Hurry up Jeff. I can't wait to read the next one and the next one and the next one...
on August 14, 2012
A new author and a very good story. Different than the usual murder (serial). Great characters
with real personalities, believable. This is an author I will be reading as long as he is writing!