5.0 out of 5 stars Love this helmet
Published on June 12, 2008 by Emily

2.0 out of 5 stars CSPC safety certification?
I'm confused... according to the Triple 8 website, this product is not certified by the CPSC: [...]

Their statement:
"This helmet does not comply with the U.S. CPSC safety standard for bicycle helmets for persons age 5 years and older and therefore cannot be shipped to customers in California."

Is this a problem for a skateboard helmet not to be...
Published on May 1, 2012 by Steven S

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this helmet, June 12, 2008
Besides the fact this helmet is pink and matches my hair. I love this helmet because it fits me PERFECTLY! I wear this in a small and it fits my head perfect. I wear a medium in protec helmets, but the medium is a tad big and the Smalls were a tad small. So I am stoked to have this helmet. I can wear sunglasses with this Triple 8 helmet and it does not pinch my head or my ears. I upgraded and got the sweatsaver band padding in my helmet...which they do not offer in the pink. I am glad to upgraded...on hot summer days the sweatsaver...saves me from a sweaty face. I have bashed my head with this helmet on in the skate park, face planted with it in dirt and grass. It has saved my head so many times and I have loved this helmet so very much. It is so comfortable I never notice I am wearing it and never feel dumb or lame wearing this either.

2.0 out of 5 stars CSPC safety certification?, May 1, 2012
This review is from: Triple 8 Brainsaver Rubber Helmet with Sweatsaver Liner (Sports)

Their statement:

Is this a problem for a skateboard helmet not to be CPSC certified? I know they have some other certifications for skateboard helmets, but there is no mention of it on this product website.

---- Comments below added 5/15/2012 ----

After digging around for additional information, and the informative replies provided by other Amazon customers, I've learned that California has adopted CPSC as a requirement for skate helmets.

In order to pass a CPSC test, a helmet must reduce a 1000 G energy pulse to under 300 G's. A 1000 G energy pulse is roughly equivalent to a 7 foot fall or a 14 mph impact on a flat surface. At its best, a soft foam helmet can reduce a 1000 G force to about 400 - 900Gs, while CPSC-rated helmets must reduce the impact to at least 300 Gs or less. More information found at: [...]

So, if you're in California or if you think you might take big falls, this isn't the helmet for you. Suggest looking for something that is CSPC certified (hard shell liner). Even though it's only good for 1 hard impact, I'd rather replace a helmet than take a fall it wasn't design to withstand. This Triple8 Brainsaver helmet is CPSC: Triple 8 Brainsaver CPSC Certified Helmet

5.0 out of 5 stars love this thing, November 30, 2012
As I am learning, helmets are super essential when skating. I haven't necessarily fallen on my head yet (knock on wood), but being prepared never hurts. It's a little too late to start wearing one after you've split your skull and are comatose. I admit that I do leave it behind on flat commutes to class, but in general whenever I grab my longboard to go somewhere, the helmet comes along too.

Aside from providing actual safety, it also just makes you FEEL safer, so you actually feel up to practicing something (like slides or manuals or whatever else there is) that you would normally go at with more reservations.

I am a fan of the lining. It mops up sweat pretty efficiently, and it makes the helmet at least slightly bearable on hot days. The lining/helmet combo is a little stiff when it's new, but after repeated use, it definitely gets more comfy. I love the color too! My slide gloves are pretty much the same shade of blue, so I feel wonderfully color-coordinated when I'm out skating. I actually bought this helmet because my friend has the same one in green, and it was the nicest helmet I had ever worn.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best bike helmet I've had yet. Lightweight, very comfortable, and those 2 holes in front... serve a purpose, March 21, 2014
I got a free cheap styrofoam-with-plastic-coating bike helmet from the NYC Parks Department (google that if you want), but I promptly lost it after about 2 months.

This helmet is MUCH better obviously, just as sturdy, and without all that styrofoam crap cradled next to my head. This is a hard rubber shell with soft padding underneath it. Not the typical black velcro stuff on cheap bike helmets. This is much more comfortable and thicker padding that comes between you and the rubber shell.

There are two holes in front, in back, and a series of small holes on top of the helmet, which circulates air in there and keeps your head cool. It's worked great so far.

Best thing though: since I bought the white one, I kinda feel like a Star Wars rebel soldier (remember the ones on Princess Leia's ship?)... but i'm a geek like that.

PS: MEASURE YOUR HEAD, dummy. BEFORE you buy. DON'T GUESS YOUR SIZE. The Amazon listing I clicked on had a measuring chart in the listing copy. Find a dressmaker's measure or paper tape and measure your head. Look for that before you choose your size.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent protective gear, December 27, 2012
This helmet snugs my head perfectly and it feels very comfortable; it doesn't reek of sweat, even though I break quite a sweat when I bike. I haven't fallen since I got it, so I can't comment on how well it takes a hit, thankfully.

Overall it's a great piece of gear, and my only complaint is that the brand's name and logo cover a significant portion of the product's surface, I wish the company would correct that. Also, I recommend prospective buyers to get the helmet in a color other than white, it gets dirty very easily.

4.0 out of 5 stars Difficult to size properly, July 31, 2010
Dame Droiture (New York, NY USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
The helmet is overall very good quality, but I found the size to be too large. It's difficult to find information about helmet sizing simply because the width around one's head says little about the general *shape* of one's head. I ended up stuffing a bandana in the the top of the helmet, and that works better.

I was hoping to be able to wear sunglasses along with this helmet (as a previous customer review indicated), but it came down too close to the tops of my ears.

All of these things have sadly prevented me from wearing the helmet when I am out longboarding -- even though if the helmet did fit right, it would have been perfect.

4.0 out of 5 stars Suggest, Try Before You Buy. Please Read Review., September 28, 2011
First off, this is a well made helmet!
The reason I suggest you try one on before you buy one is the sizing is not accurate.
The one I received will work, and I allowed for a little additional room by adding to the size I measured around my head, and I measured looking for the largest number... I added a an inch just to be sure I would not suffer any head squeeze. I received a helmet sized "L" which I assume means "large" and there's no indication that the size I measured played much in the selection other than to drop my head into a generic range of fits.
If there is a large-and-one-half then I should have ordered that one. If you have working hair follicles and hair on your head, take into account room for this stuff. :)
Another person posted a review in which they described having to put a folded bandanna inside the helmet before putting it on... looks like I will have to do this as well. Also, the Sweatsaver Liner does not cover the crown pad and I have a receding hairline and thinning on top and I miss the cloth cover the rest of the padding is covered in. I will probably make something to match the rest of he padding and attach it inside the helmet with Velcro as the other pads are.
I'm not unhappy with this helmet and intend to give it a good try before trying something else.
This is a good product and if you choose the one that fits you properly you will be happy with it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Love the helmet, hate the straps., March 10, 2011
Overall the helmet is extremely comfortable its not like any other helmet I have warn. But the problem and I really think the company should work on this feature better is that the strap connecting the helmet to you is secured by these two rubber bands. That is the only flaw in this helmet other than that it is perfect!

4.0 out of 5 stars Triple 8 Helmet, April 12, 2010
C. Ockey (new york city) - See all my reviews
Stoked - sweet helmet, nice profile. If you have a large melon, as I do it may not fit the way you like - it is snug on me. Largest they had was large and I wear a 7 1/2 hat - 3/8 with shorter hair. So if you have big head and long hair forget it; I don't know if they have XL but mine is proper fitting, just a bit snug - that's why only 4 otherwise if they had an XL that fit perfect, I'd go 5 star easy

4.0 out of 5 stars Great helmet for a budget., March 3, 2011
The texture of this helmet is great. The design is wonderful but the straps are a little fidgety. This helmet has saved my life twice already. If someone gets you this helmet as a gift, it's obvious that they care a lot about you.

Triple 8 Brainsaver Rubber Helmet with Sweatsaver Liner