Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Tripp Lite FireWire 800 IEEE 1394b Hi-speed Cable (9pin/4pin) 6-ft.(F019-006)
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

on February 15, 2011
In Feb 2010, I bought the cable to transfer video from my Sony DCR-TRV350 8mm camcorder to my iMac. IMovie only sometimes recognized the TRV350. When it did, iMovie promptly displayed a "Communication Error". I took the TRV350 camcorder and the 4pin/9pin Tripp Lite cable to the local Apple store. The MacBook Pro would not recognize the TRV350 after multiple attempts. The Apple store folks were kind enough to open a new 4pin/9pin white "Mac" cable right off their product wall to try out (Belkin brand). Importing worked perfectly with the "Mac" cable. I purchased the "Mac" Belkin cable, left the Apple store with a smile, and repeated the same success at home with my iMac. I rated this Tripp Lite cable 1-star since a different cable brand worked with my 2 devices while this Tripp Lite cable did not. In my situation, a different cable brand (Belkin) made all the difference.

Update: I checked pin-out. The correct pin-outs are 1-1, 2-2, 3-3, 4-4. The Tripp Lite cable was wired incorrectly with 9pin-4pin pinned 1-3, 2-4, 3-1, and 4-2.
44 comments|41 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 16, 2008
This cable works great, and is perfect for connecting my HD camcorder to the FireWire 800 port on my new Macbook Pro. I checked Target, Best Buy, and Fry's Electronics, and no one carried this type of cable. You would have to buy a 4-pin to 6-pin cable, and then a 6-pin to 9-pin converter, which ends up costing a LOT more. This cable does that for much less. Highly recommended.
on February 2, 2009
This firewire was exactly what I had been looking for. I went to Best Buy, Fry's, Radio Shack and then Apple. No one seemed to understand what I was needing. This wire fit my new mac book pro up to my Sony camcorder immediately. The shipment was quick. The price was very reasonable. The quality of the wire is heavy duty.
on October 18, 2010
If you have a 2009 or newer Macbook Pro you have a 9pin Firewire connection on your laptop. Like most Mac users out there, I had trouble finding a 4pin to 9pin Firewire cable to connect my Canon HD video camera to my Macbook Pro. Nowhere in town seemed to have them. I found a few retailers online that wanted around $25, which I would have gotten, had I not found this one. Since this one was only $6, and it had really good reviews, I figured I would give it a shot. I am so glad I did! I ended up saving $15 over the other cables and this one is actually built really well. The connection fits nice and tight in my Macbook Pro and it seems really well built. Would definitely buy again if needed, and would recommend to anyone!
on March 7, 2013
First of all yes it works with a macbook pro with retina display. Although you need an apple adapter from firewire 800 with 9 pin to tunderbolt, connect the thunderbolt to your mac and the 1394b to you mini dv camera and then connect the 800 male to the female you should end up with a white cable comming out from your mac that attaches to a black cable that goes to your mini dv camara. Also do not expect to hear the tum tum sound that plug and play hardware do when you connected to windows. In mac just go to imovie and open the camera from there. I have a canon gl2 and canon xl2 both of them used mini dv. The cable construction is good and this a cheaper way to connect your old mini Dv cameras to the latest apple computers which don't come with 800 firewire.
on March 20, 2009
The ideal product for connecting a SONY camcorder to the Mac's Firewire port. I tried four different stores without success. The camcorder connected right up and I easily downloaded my video. Highly recommended.
on December 18, 2014
These are pretty good and long cables to connect DV and Thunderbolt. One did not work at all and I was offered a replacement or refund by the vendor. The other worked but had to be wiggled a bit to get a good contact with the Thunderbolt connection.
on January 18, 2009
I just purchased a MacBook Pro and noone had the cord that I needed. I was hesitant to order it b/c I didn't know if it would work and and worked like a charm! Just make sure it's the right cord for you and then get it!
on February 6, 2009
I recommend this firewire cable to anyone who uses sony digital video camera, and the new MacBook Pro to download their movies. Plug and play.
on April 29, 2015
Finally, I figured out which replacement cable needed to connect my camcorder (Sony DCR-HC26) to my Mac! The computer would not recognize the camera using a USB cord. This cable (Tripp Lite Firewire) works perfectly-it arrived in 2 days from my order. Another thing that I ordered that also works is: elago FireWire 400 to 800 Adapter (White) for Mac Pro, MacBook Pro, Mac Mini, iMac and all other computers, which connects another type of FireWire that ends in a "male" piece that is curved on one side, to the computer…..