Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on October 30, 2010
44 comments| 70 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 11, 2010
There's very little that needs explaining with this, really. Read the item description -- it does all of that, and it does it flawlessly in my experience. I've had absolutely no trouble using the thing, and the few power outages I've experienced were handled perfectly. (Even the one time it was accidentally unplugged.) The battery lasts my computer and monitor about 20 minutes.

The only small caveat I've noticed is that turning the power on or off causes the device to beep loudly. There may be a way to turn this off, but I've not found one, and it can be a bit of a pain when I'm trying to turn it off late at night! Of course, you really only need to turn it off if you're the type to unplug your computer at night (like me), so it may not be an issue for you.

UPDATE: I've learned after a bit of playing that YOU CAN TURN OFF THE ANNOYING BEEPING NOISE! Use the included strange USB thing to hook it up to your computer, then use the free PowerAlert software from Tripp Lite's website. Switch the software into Business mode, then go over to the Action section. In the list of actions is "Set Audible Alarm". Set the value to 1 (even if it's already 1, overwrite it), then execute the command. After a second or two, the program will unfreeze, and it will be completely silent when it loses power from then on!
VINE VOICEon September 27, 2008
I have had good luck with Tripp Lite products in the past, and this UPS is no different. I purchased it for several office computers and have had no issues.

They work as advertised and are usually slightly cheaper than APC. The device contains four ports with backup power and four with just a surge protector.

This is a nice feature and makes for a more flexible device. In a work environment though, it has caused issues. On more than one occasion, I have had people plug things like space heaters into the UPS side and blow the whole unit (not this model). One would hope that most people would know better.
on August 28, 2009
Have you ever wondered whether UPS and surge protector companies will really pay out on the equipment insurance that they boast of in their advertising? Read on.

I had had my computer, monitor, and scanner plugged into a Tripp-Lite Internet350U UPS for over a year. I live in the country, and we have frequent power failures. When the power went off, the UPS battery immediately kicked in without a glitch. If the power came back on within a couple of minutes, it would return to the utility power and I would lose no work time. If the power stayed off, I had plenty of time to shut everything down without losing my work. The only complaint I would have is that the Tripp-Lite software was not the best, as it would not always recognize the UPS unit on boot up. A reboot would solve the problem, and the software is not really necessary anyway. The UPS will work fine without it.

Then, one night we had a thunderstorm around 2am. The computer, monitor, and scanner were plugged into the UPS as usual, but nothing was turned on. I know that the power must have gone off and come back on during the night because the clock on the kitchen range was blinking in the morning. When I went to turn the computer on, it was dead. Then I noticed that the UPS had apparently switched itself off because its lights were off. So, I switched it back on. I then tried to start the computer again, but it was still completely dead, no lights or fan. To make a long story short, what turned out to be the problem was a fried motherboard standby circuit. Since the computer was turned off but plugged into the Tripp-Lite UPS during an electrical storm, the obvious conclusion is that the UPS passed a surge through the computer's power supply to the ATX standby circuit. The standby circuit is singled out because it is THE circuit that would keep the power supply fan from running. Because it is the circuit that is continually on (even when the computer is "off"), it is also the circuit to get the brunt of an AC power transient. Clearly, the surge protection of the UPS failed.

So why have I given this unit such a high rating? Because of what followed. From what I had heard about other UPS companies, I fully expected Tripp-Lite to give me a hassle and not pay (I have heard of other companies asking people to send in the damaged equipment at the customer's expense, have an electrician certify that the house is properly grounded at the customer's expense, "prove" that there was an electrical transient at the time of the failure [how can you do that?], and so on). I was wrong. I called Tripp-Lite and was transferred to a voicemail of someone who said they were away on a trip. Uh oh, I thought, here we go. I'm going to get a run around. I called back and was immediately transferred to the same voicemail. I called back a third time, told the operator what was happening and that I wanted to speak to someone immediately. Much to my surprise, she put me through to a man who took the information and told me he would send me a new UPS unit and an insurance claim form and that I needed to send the old UPS back for testing. Within a week, I had the new UPS unit and the claim form, and I sent back the old UPS (at Tripp-Lite's expense). I then filled out the claim form and included documentation on the cost of a new motherboard and the cost of an entirely new computer. Incredibly, the cost of a replacement computer was slightly less than the cost of the motherboard! Because I did the diagnostics myself, I also attached a report detailing the tests I had made, the results, and my conclusion. If I had not done my own diagnostics, then I would have had to tell Tripp-Lite the repair shop I brought the computer to. Then I mailed it all in. In the meantime, I bought a new computer.

About a month and a half later (yes, it took a long time), I received a call from Tripp-Lite telling me they had approved my claim for the full amount. They said the old unit tested fine, but they were still going to pay based on my report. They simply asked for the receipt from my new computer. I faxed this to Tripp-Lite. A couple of weeks later, I got a check for the full amount!

And that is why I have given this a high rating. Any human made device may fail. I have not seen anywhere that Tripp-Lite UPS units have a worse reputation than any other UPS units. But this I do know: From my experience, Tripp-Lite is a company of integrity that took my equipment insurance claim with no hassles and fully paid up.

Here are some added thoughts:
The replacement UPS works fine (although still quirky in the software).

The ON/OFF/TEST Button on this unit (and, maybe other Tripp-Lite units) shuts off only the battery backup outlets. THE OTHER THREE OUTLETS DO NOT SHUT OFF. I judge this to be extremely dangerous as anyone would intuitively assume an off switch to shut the unit completely off, and because the instructions explicitly say that by pressing and holding the switch for one second, "The UPS will be turned completely off (deactivated)." I have let Tripp-Lite know about this, and, hopefully, they will correct this problem in the future.

I now unplug all of my equipment every night and when thunderstorms approach. It is really the only way to be sure of protecting your equipment.

This is not legal advice, but you might want to know if you ever have to put in an equipment insurance claim that legal precedence has been set in court for homeowners' insurance to recover damages from UPS/surge protector companies. That is, if the UPS/surge protector company doesn't pay up, put a claim in for the equipment to your homeowner's insurance company, and they will then likely bring a suit against the UPS/surge protector company to recover the cost. It may have helped that I let Tripp-Lite know that I knew this. ;)
on November 27, 2009
I bought this to use with my Verizon FIOS router as the router is not protected from power issues. This unit is small and works well replacing a bulkier APC unit that failed on me. I suggest this for all home routers. I have a lot of experience with Battery Backups, both at home (I have them on every TV and computer) and previously as a IT Network Manager and would recommend this to everyone. The size and capacity are perfect for a router. Trust me on this one, getting one of these for a router will really save you headaches in the long run. I went with Tripp Lite as they have been around for a very long time, and to me, the lower priced APC units jut don't cut it anymore for me. AMAZON was the best deal for this compact ups when you consider shipping costs. I used Super Saving shipping and it shipped for free - the final price you pay is what matters. And I received it quite fast. No complaints. I bought it directly form AMAZON (as the seller) , it came fast, I installed it, and it is working fine.
on April 28, 2011
I am now using this for my FIOS router, Nettalk IP phone, and video surv system DVR and camera power. What I like about Tripp Lite is that the shape is square-ish and fits better on my shelf than an APC unit and works as well as any other name brand. As an experience ex-IT manager, I use UPS systems only to the end of their battery life and then buy another unit. This is for reliability as the charging circuits do wear out and the UPS manufactures hope you replace the whole thing to save them grief. Even high priced large units such as the large APC rack units are like this (charging circuits and battery on circuits fail and unit will overcharge battery making it bloat or the unit turns off power in a self-test shutting down the system!). So when shopping, consider the unit will be used to end of battery life which is likely three years under normal conditions. This will help you compare prices. I switched over from APC to Tripp Lite after so many APC units died over time so I see nothing it buying APC for reliability though their tech support was great. I upgraded to this larger unit from a smaller Tripp Lite I had because I added a Surv DVR and camera power to my needs. The smaller one is now used for a laptop on a desk. So I consider this a great unit and at a great price and buying from AMAZON with Supersaver shipping made this an even better deal. Remember in comparing it was it costs to get it to your door.
on October 27, 2013
Everything worked fine until one morning I found my Mac dead. After trying various options it occurred to me that the UPS might be out. Sure enough it was completely dead. Hitting the on/off button caused the "check battery" light to go on. A new battery needed after 7 weeks!! Maybe I just got a lemon, but this deserves one star. Just ordered an APS unit for a little more money—can't trust the Tripp-Lite.
on January 30, 2014
I bought this as a back up for my pellet stove, and it was one of the models recommended by the stove manufacturer. It did what it was suppose to do because we had a brief power outage and the UPS prevented the stove from shutting down and pushing smoke into our house. It kept it running long enough for it to shut down automatically, no smoke, no odor, no worries!
on March 10, 2011
We've been running this UPS connected to one computer. It functioned fine for about a month. Then, we had a power outage and the UPS wouldn't turn back on when I had the computer plugged into the battery backed up slots. I did the self test from the directions, and it was telling me the outlet was overloaded for the battery. I removed everything from the unit and it still gave me the same fault. I had to plug into the regular, non-battery backed up outlets instead. I sent an email to Tripp lite's technical support about the issue. I received an email about 6 weeks later saying "Sorry we missed your email. Let us know if you're still having the problem." I later tried switching back to the battery backed up outlet and it was functioning again. I don't hold out much hope on this lasting in the long run. Overall, not impressed.
on August 16, 2013
As with others who have had problems, the unit did not operate as expected - turning on an item that was not plugged into the Tripp Lite caused the unit to shut down completely and fail to provide battery power. It appears that the battery was defective or was not charging properly. My only explanation for the positive reviews on this site is that perhaps the Tripp Lite company has poor quality control and some units work and some don't. Note: as stated, you can not return this item to Amazon and the people at Tripp Lite were entirely un-helpful.