Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc DJ Shadow Fire TV Stick Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on October 13, 2012
This is a decent power strip that does what it advertises and is pretty no-frills. If you want your stuff to be powered and surge protected, this will do that for you.

Some other reviewers and commenters have, however, mentioned a manufacturing defect where the ground (third prong) socket is blocked by a piece of metal, making plugs difficult to insert. Mine also had this problem. I get the impression that this is shoddy workmanship, and that's NOT a plus. You can often force plugs in, but you shouldn't have to do that. Tripp Lite is a good company, and they should improve their manufacturing process to fix this defect.

Your experience with this strip will really depend on how many (if any) outlets are affected by this problem. Mine has one bad outlet that I had to force a plug into. That outlet generally worked well after a few times that I had to put some sweat into it.

So, good--but not great given that I don't think the manufacturing is exceptional.
0Comment|147 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 17, 2010
January 1, 2010 I had a power surge in my house that fried my computer. After some research into the problem, I found out that the Philip's surge bar I was using never tripped and the surge went straight through it into my computer. (Dealing with Philips was the biggest load of bull ever and they never refunded me for my computer.)
I did a lot of research on surge protectors after that and I have replaced all my surge bars with this one. I have yet to have a power surge while I have had these installed, but from other reviews of people who have Tripp-Lite seems to be really easy to work with and they back up their products. Which after dealing with Philips, is very, very important.
44 comments|140 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 15, 2010
Great buy for the price, after spending many hours looking for a cheap but good surge protector I finally bought this. there are a few cons to this product:
1) plugs are close together which tends to be a problem with a lot for phone plugs, motorola, nokia, etc, luckily some phone manufacturers are getting a clue and making it sideway plugs
2) straight plug-in, a 90 degree plug should be standard for these nowadays since most outlets are behind entertainments systems and such

At $10ea, I bought 3 and got free shipping, for $30 you'd probably get a generic one at those "mart" stores with no joule rating
on August 18, 2011
I have three of these, and they've all lived through numerous surges/spikes. I like the slim line of the protector because it fits behind things, and the end outlet can be used for larger transformer/plugs. The on/off switch is a nice option at this price and can be used to save electricity for some always-on appliances - but I unplug mine during severe electrical storms. Internal surges and spikes are not the same as a lightening hit.

I have two which are wall-mounted and find one tends to slide and come off the wall when unplugging cords - I have to hold the surge protector with one hand while unplugging cords. My other doesn't. This is due to the size of the screw heads and how closely they are screwed into the wall - I wish it had come with screws for wall-mounting since this is a featured option. The stiff extension cord exacerbates this problem if you don't use screws with the widest heads to fit.

My third came with a metal piece (internally) misaligned due to poor workmanship. Plugging in the 3rd prong took some initial strength for each outlet, but once I forced them, the metal strip moved enough to allow easy plug-ins afterward.

Recommended for the price.
on July 7, 2015
I'm afraid... I've plugged 2 USBs in, and after a day I start to smell burning plastic. It's coming from the USB ports -- I unplug it and it seems fine, but it's very hot. Is this normal? Should I stop use immediately? Hope a representative can answer.
review image
The manufacturer commented on this review (What's this?)
We apologize for the experience you have had with the TLP606USB and for the delayed response. This product is backed by a Lifetime Warranty and we would be more than happy to replace the failed unit for you. We appreciate your loyalty to our brand and we apologize for the delayed response to your issue. Please reach out to our Chicago-based Tech Support Team at 773-869-1234 (M-F 7AM-6PM Central) so we can assist you and provide warranty support.
on October 10, 2011
I've had this cable for about 3 months now & it works great. All of the outlets work perfectly & there is a switch included to turn on/off the surge protector without having to unplug it from the wall outlet & it even has a little light that lights up when it is turned on. The only thing I didn't really like about this surge protector was the the cord is SO stiff, however it is really durable. So I thought about it "would I rather have a flexible & not so durable cord or a durable and stiff cord?" & of course I chose a stiff durable cord. Where I live we get tons of thunderstorms where our power goes out for a few hours (sometimes a day or more) & all of my electronics have been fine.
on March 26, 2011
I have bought several generic surge protectors, all failing for different reasons, but all of them can be summarized as cheap materials and parts. This surge protector on the other hand, feels sturdy, the switch works perfectly (most of the generic I have failed because of the on/off switch), all contacts work perfectly and so far is protecting the computer I am writing right now. This is one of those products that work just as advertised.
on December 30, 2011
This is one product where you get more than what you pay for. I was expecting a cheaply made protector for 8 dollars but this is better than I expected. I bought this because every so often the transformer behind my home shorts circuit when birds fly into it and this causes power outage/surge. I have my Tv, bluray player and xbox plugged into it and so far it has worked in protecting my devices from power surges.
on September 18, 2014
Just received this today. Plugged in 1 cord and 2 USB plugs. Had a phone and my iPad charging. iPad suddenly alternating quickly between charging and not charging. When I checked on it, I smelled a burning plastic odor, the unit where the 2 USB plugs are was too hot to hold! If I had plugged these in and left for work, I would more than likely be dealing with insurance from a fire! This is not safe! Do NOT buy this!
The manufacturer commented on this review (What's this?)
Steve, I am so sorry that your TLP606USB performed in that manner. Please know that Tripp Lite's Product Management and Quality Control departments are reviewing your feedback and taking steps to ensure that all of our TLP606USB's are performing as expected. I appreciate your feedback. Please do reach out to our Chicago-based Tech Support team at 773.869.1234 (M-F, 7am-7pm CST) so they can troubleshoot your issue and send you a replacement unit since the TLP606USB comes with a lifetime warranty.
on October 7, 2015
I plugged this power strip into the wall and started charging a Limefuel battery pack off of one of the USB ports. Nothing else was plugged in. No more than 5 minutes later, I hard a "POP" from the vicinity of the power strip and noticed that my battery pack was no longer charging. Plus, a smell of burnt electronics was coming from near the USB jacks on the power strip. The current draw rating on the Limefuel pack is 2.0 amps - just under the maximum printed on the power strip.

I opened up the power strip and found that the pictured component (U1) had basically exploded, leaving a big scorch mark on the inside of the plastic casing of the power strip. My guess is that the big glob of glue holding down the inductor above it probably caused U1 to overheat and blow its top. Maybe a heat sink would be a better choice than a big warm blanket of glue.

We bought several of these for work, so I'm trying a second one charging the same battery pack. It's holding up longer than the first one, but that section of the power strip down by the USB ports is running very hot! See the attached thermal image which has the hot spot marked on it.

Thus far, I can't honestly say whether I'm confident enough in this product to put these out in peoples' offices.

To be fair, other Tripp Lite products we've used in the past years (Iso-bar power strips and Smart-Pro UPS) have been rock-solid. That was part of the reason for selecting this particular product.
review image review image
The manufacturer commented on this review (What's this?)
We apologize for the experience you have had with the TLP606USB. This product is backed by a Lifetime Warranty and we would be more than happy to replace the failed unit for you. We appreciate your loyalty to our brand and we apologize for the delayed response to your issue. Please reach out to our Chicago-based Tech Support Team at 773-869-1234 (M-F 7AM-6PM Central) so we can assist you and provide warranty support.