5.0 out of 5 stars Samiam still impressive after all these years, September 20, 2011
This review is from: Trips (Audio CD)
I first heard samiam in 1992. Lots of old schoolers have been complaining since then. What they fail to understand is that samiam has continued to be one of the best bands in punk and indie rock for two decades. Sure, I could be stuck on songs like underground, home sweet home, clean, sky flying by, etc., but what is the point for a band to exist only to play the same songs for 20 years? Trips will probably not change opinions of those narrow minded new red archives obsessives. Trips is an album that makes me happy to have been a believer for all these years. I have listened to it 5-6 times now, and keep finding new things to like about each song.

I am not going to argue in support of any particular song because each has lots of merit (although El Dora(n)do is stuck in my head at the moment). I will say that this line up, Beebout, Loobkoff, Kennerly, Bouchard, and new drummer Walker sound energized. After Astray, and James Brogan's retirement, I wondered if Samiam had decided to end things on a high-note. They surprised me with Whatevers Got You Down, but I must say that despite some great songs, the production and mix was so poor that I was a little bummed out. Especially after hearing a remix of Take Care they put on the web afterwards, which was much better than the album version.

It always sounds like samiam when Jason is singing and Sergie is playing his textbook b-string leads, but one real surprise is Sean's guitar playing. Sean seems to have written about half of the music for this effort (and for the last album too). His fender sound is a nice counterpoint to Sergie's Gibson. This is a first appearance for the rhythm section (Bouchard and Walker), but they sound like they were meant to be there all along. I hope they stick around. If you get the chance to see them live, there is new life in some of the Clumsy, Your are Freaking Me Out and Astray songs. Another nice surprise are the layers of sound on this record. Jason is one of those few unique vocalists that I can identify immediately. This time around, he sounds better than ever, and his backing vocal tracks are simply perfect. There are some nice guitar effects scattered about too, tasteful and not overdone.

Bottomline is this album stands on it's own next to anything else that Samiam has recorded. It delivers consistently great songs, leaving listeners to want more. Let's just hope this line up is around for a few years and we don't have to wait 5 years for a follow up. Anyone reading this should buy this album without hesitation. You will not regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars DC UNITED, September 13, 2011
This review is from: Trips (Audio CD)
I am happy to see these guys back and putting out another classic. I can't believe it's been over 20 yrs and SAMIAM is still showing younger bands how it is done. Please, go out and buy this CD!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars My favorite release by Samiam, December 16, 2012
N. Kent (Port St. Lucie, FL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Trips (MP3 Music)
Most of the reviews here speak for themselves, so I'll just add that I find this to be the best release that Samiam has put out. Crew of One and Dead are two of the best tracks I have heard since music took a serious dip in quality around the 2002 / 2003 timeframe. I'm so fortunate to have seen these guys live this year. I hope they have more in them; I would look forward to a new release following this amazing disc!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, December 6, 2012
This review is from: Trips (MP3 Music)
This album is awesome and takes me back to the heyday of Samiam in the 90s. I've been a fan of this band for a long time, but lost track of them for a decade or so following their breakup. I have just recently picked up everything I missed after Astray. I wasn't as much a fan of "Whatever's Got You Down" from 2006, but I definitely have enjoyed Trips quite a bit.

There are a number of excellent songs on this album, which returns to the style (if not the pace) that they had earlier in their career. In particular, check out El Dorado, September Holiday, Crew of One, Magellan.

Give it a listen and pick it up.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good album, prefer earlier efforts..., October 7, 2011
I am a long time SAMIAM fan, if you are also, you will enjoy this. If you are a listener, I would recommend "Clumsy" It's my favorite by far. Capsized ROCKS. So does the rest of the album.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great record, great band!, October 3, 2011
Its been over 20 years since their debut, and with this album they've once again demonstrated that they are far from calling it quits. "Trips" manages to sound fresh, while still maintaining the classic Samiam sound that fans have grown to love.
The band's essence is completely intact on this one, and Jason Beebout's vocals and delivery is as emotionally charged and beautiful honed as ever. The songs are colorfully decorated with dense instrumentation and great hooks. "Trips" represent's the band very well, and for new listeners its a very good introduction to the band.
Once again, Samiam demonstrates that album after album, two decades later, you can still stay true to your formula and while re-inventing it at the same time.
This is a great record!

Trips
Trips by Samiam (Audio CD - 2011)
Rate and Discover Movies