5.0 out of 5 stars No brainer if looking to buy
Published 5 months ago by Les Rave

3.0 out of 5 stars Great for the Price
I also have the G.P. Silver.
If I compare them side by side, the G.P. blows it away in construction, features and video quality.
Considering the SJ4000 is 1/3 the price and comes with all attachments, its a good deal.
The construction is cheaper but is rugged enough for general use and in the water tight case it is very protected.
I mount mine to...
Published 4 months ago by Biker Dude 2000

3.0 out of 5 stars Great for the Price, May 19, 2014
This review is from: Tronsmart SJ4000 Novatek 1080P 30fps 12 Mega Pixels H.264 1.5 Inch 170°Wide Angle Lens Outdoor Waterproof Sports Home Security HD DV/CAR DVR/Camera (Black) (Camera)
I also have the G.P. Silver.
I mount mine to bicycle handle bars and ride everywhere.
The record time is about half that of G.P. which should be plenty depending on what you intend to do.
The recording angle is not as wide as G.P. but works fine (I'd guess 150 not 170).
Colors are duller and do not pop out as in the G.P. but are there and are crisp enough to be 1080HD.
Though I would rather have a second G.P., I like my SJ4000 and I'm glad I bought it.
I'll use it for rear view video or on my helmet to get different angles.
If you want to save a few bucks this is a great option.

5.0 out of 5 stars No brainer if looking to buy, March 29, 2014
If you ever heard of Techmoan, he has a YouTube channel and he reviews cameras like the sorts very detailed and spot on. He has reviewed this camera and because of seeing his review I come to the choice this camera would be a good addition to my collection of action and dash cams. Link to the review by Techmoan of the SJ4000 below. I would recommend watching it. I'm not plugging his channel but he is by far the best review of cameras so I guess I kind of am plugging his channel to you. In fact, if you don't like reading, watch his video, he is much more detailed then words can express.

The camera mounts are compatible to GoPro mounts so if you need different kinds, those should be easy to come by at a local retailer.

Tons of options. Usable as a dash camera but would you really want to put a GoPro look alike in your car? Your choice.

1080p 30fps is smooth. I'd suggest a Class 10 card.

Negatives:
Video has a slight grain or texture to it, which is noticeable when settings are set to "FINE", which I'd recommend setting to NORMAL.

It has a tendency to underexpose areas, even if exposure is set a bit higher it still is noticeable, but not a huge deal, but to some I'm sure it will be.

720p60 is actually 720p30(x2). It doesn't shoot 60fps, rather it reimages the frame twice so it isn't actually 60 frames per second.

No Mic-In. The microphone is functional, not studio quality but isn't horrible either. Good mic, but not having the Mic-In leave you with no further options for mics.

170 Degree Angle lens to wide? People actually say its 140 degree angle, but either way it does have a bit of a distortion to the edges of the fish eye distortion.

Positives
Video Clarity
Mounting Options (compatibility)
Spare Batteries/Case Available from manufacture
Price
Simple/Easy to Use

Techmoan review on YouTube here: http://youtu.be/xnHDu-oW7_Y

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Buy, March 24, 2014
This camera came within its estimated distillery dates, so right off the bat it has a great impression. This camera is great, and what i use it for like many of you will also use it for is, underwater filming. So of course when i get the water proof case, i test it with out the camera in it (instead i put a piece if paper, works great), and the case is fine not one drop of water in the case.

The Quality of the camera is exactly what it says 1080p , super clear on par with Go-Pro. The sound of the camera is decent, but i doubt that you will actually use the camera for sound. Navigation through the camera is super easy, takes about 5 min to learn.

Defiantly buy this if you are looking for an action cam, totally worth the $130 (when i bought it). All i can say is that it is a great camera, really catches everything.

TIPS:
1) with ther camera mounts no matter how tight you screw the screws the camera will still be able to move, Easy fix is to sand the parts where each mount contacts the other mount
2) Get a 16 or 32 gb micro sd card for this, it really helps.
3) go to these links on youtube, they are reviews on the camera by one of the best guys "Techmoan"

[...] - Review

[...] - Mounting instruction

4.0 out of 5 stars Best Action / Car Cam for the value (under $100), April 22, 2014
Bought this for a car camera because it fits perfectly in the window (unlike other cams), has a car window holder (you must buy the suction cup holder separately though), and has great video quality (day and night). Plus it has a screen that shows the video so you know exactly what you're recording.

Sadly, the quality of the build of the camera itself isn't the best. Within a week (yes, only a week) bubbles appeared in the screen, the camera seems to think it's charging even when the charger isn't plugged in (the battery level icon no longer shows. Charging icon shows at all times now), and the charging cord stopped working (had to buy/use another). When not in use I kept it in a case for protection so there wasn't any sporting action going on with this camera whatsoever. One thing to keep in mind if you plan on using this as a action cam.

I'm going to exchange it for another and will update this review. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

UPDATE 06-18-2014: Got a replacement from another seller and haven't had any problems. The only thing I've noticed is the video quality isn't the best when compared with my 2 cameras video (EOS M & LX7) but those cameras cost much more so I guess for the value this cam is great. Maybe the best car cam I've had.

I had the Sony Action Cam for a bit and while the Sony has much better video, it's design is funky and not made to fit in the car window, like this is.

Recommend for those on a budget. Increased an extra star.

1.0 out of 5 stars FAKE!!! not an SJ4000, August 5, 2014
Seller is MeGooDo (and far as i can tell, everyone else as well) ---- this is not a genuine SJ4000 (the pics they show are of a genuine SJ4000, but you'll notice that not one single vendor includes the pic showing the back of the waterproof case, which is, visually, the only way you can easily spot the fake).

One reason you should care is that aftermarket batteries (that i bought) don't fit (off by 1mm) so you're pretty well stuck with one battery and one battery is no good. Perhaps you can find a battery that will fit it, but gooood luck.

I found one supplier (not on Amazon I am afraid) selling a genuine SJ4000. Just google "who makes the original sj4000" and you'll see what all the hoopla is about. The manufacturer is Tron/Novatek and i've seen the fakes listed here as that - i wouldn't buy it unless it says "genuine SJ4000."

1.0 out of 5 stars FAKE!!! not an SJ4000, August 4, 2014
SELLER = MetroEB or GalxiChoice (it weirdly changes when you click the actual product).

Lists manu as: MeGooDo

As several other reviewers have stated, this is not an actual SJ4000 (and yes, that's a problem), and I found out the hard way when i ordered extra SJ4000 batteries, and they didn't fit inside this camera (the fit was off 1mm if u can believe it. That's a huge issue because these batteries are good for about 30 minutes of shot and then they are done and need recharging so, you really do need extra batteries.

I am sorry but I do not know which link to offer for the real SJ4000. They all bloody look the same and frankly, they all look like the fake, not sure who the original manufacturer is but it's just the usual Chinese circle jerk - copy of a copy of a copy.

The easiest way to tell the fake from the copy is the location/spacing of the rubber bump stops on the inside of the clear case. On the real SJ4000, they are spaced pretty close to the corners, on the fake, they are a good 9mm away from the corners.

However, if you google, you can find many websites and several youtube videos that show the differences between the fakes and the real one. Google phrase: who makes the original sj4000.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice small Action Camera, July 31, 2014
Camera arrived on time very fast I haven't had the opportunity to use it yet. The instructions are pore might as well not have any. However the camera has many youtube videos so they are able to fill in the gaps. It appears to work well I've taken a couple of pics and short vids seems nice. Four (4) stars for now I will update later. Just cant wait for it to charge.

UPDATE 3AUG14
I mounted the Camera to my jeep dash, and got stuck for a little less than an hour. Had to used the winch to get me out. The camera had one bar and last over an hour it recorded just about the whole event. Great quality! We just love the fact we didn't pay over $200 dollars for the other brand.

2.0 out of 5 stars It will be great, if it worked properly., August 15, 2014
The Good;
Quality and features are just as expected. and for the price and accesories it's actually pretty good deal (You can read about it the many reviews. )... if it worked properly.

Now the BAD.
This is where they lower the price and cheapen the product by skipping quality control on manufacturing and parts.

My Camera came faulty.
The camera can record to the CARDS, but cannot read from them. Let me explain:

As soon as you turn on the camera, everything seems fine. You can record and take pictures.
But If you move to the playback mode, it says "No files", if you go to the Menu Mode, and come back to the Video Mode, it says "Please Insert Card".

So basically I'm stocked at Video mode, unless I turn it Off and On again. Which is a pain if you want to switch setting or if you want to grab a quick picture and go back to video recording.

Also My computer won't read directly from the camera as Mass Storage device. It recognizes it, but won't actually read from it.
So to transfer the videos to my PC, I have to take the card out and into the adapter, into the computer card reader.
It might be my computer, but since I'm not really going to use this camera as it is very much, I don't really care to find a solution for this.

IT is not the cards
I've used High quality Sandisk Ultra, Transcend Class 10, and a cheap generic one. All of these work perfectly on every other device I own.
I've tried formatting it on the camera and on my PC. I tried quick and full format. FAT32 and exFAT.
Nothing.

Sadly I can't return it because I'm buying from overseas. Otherwise I would have done, and save a little and get something I can use without all this hassle.

5.0 out of 5 stars I wish I had this years ago, July 23, 2014
Recently I've been to a lot of places and I've been taking lots of pictures and videos with my phone. I began searching for monopods and then bought one so I could take pictures from different angles and have more showing in the pictures. Even though my phone was heavy, I like the point of view of what I captured. I then began looking at the well known action camera. The things I saw were really cool but after looking at the price it turned me off. Then I search Amazon for "action cameras" and the SJ4000 was the first thing that popped up for me. So I went ahead and checked it out, read the reviews here, watched videos and read the reviews there. Positive review after positive review I got more interested especially with the price and the accessories it came with. I literally watched over 20 or more and counting for this thing and became obsess over it.

With big events coming up, I had to get this to put on my monopod instead of using my heavy phone. So being so budget friendly, I ordered one with one day shipping. When I got it, the first thing I did was to make sure I had the real one because my research lead me to find out there was a fake SJ4000 floating around and it showed the differences. I had an authentic Amazon Prime eligible product. I also did a separate order for a micro SD card and a chest harness but those didn't arrive until a day later. This thing is pretty sweet. I really love this wide angle fisheye effect and how versatile this little thing can be.

Once my SD card came, one of the first things I did was use the clip that came along with it and clipped it in my car shade and used it as a dash cam. I recorded like a good hour of footage. It looked really great. I also used the chest harness which I got cheap too and man the point of view is really nice on film. I can't wait to use this while we ride our bikes and do other activities. I'm going to film our dog too, it's going to be awesome.

My only complaint it got pretty warm to the touch. I'm not sure if it's because it was plugged in while I was using it while driving, but I'm paranoid it might over heat or something. Battery life could be better too but I have my eye on getting a back up battery with charger. Thanks to online videos, I pretty much know how to navigate through this thing, since the manual doesn't really show anything. I haven't tinkered with the settings too much but that's ok because the quality it captures is outstanding. One last thing, you should always check if your battery has black tape covering it because that will hinder your camera from getting charged up. I thought I had one from a bad batch but after taking out the black tape, everything is working correctly. I can't wait to try out what this little baby could do. So far so good. One of the best things I've bought in awhile. I could have captured better pictures and videos if I had this years ago. But it's never to late to capture some more now!

Update: So after using it some more, wow I love this thing. I took it to Comic-Con and people were just in awe and giving me compliments like it was a smart idea to have along with a monopod to capture images over the crowds and get great footage. The J-hook that came with it broke though. I tried to clamp it in the chest harness and it broke which sucks. But luckily I had an extra J-hook that came with the chest harness. I'm going to search for more hooks and such so I could mount it up for different angles soon. Also I took tried it under water too and man I was scared at first but the waterproof case seems to be real solid. I took it at the beach and I guess the sand kinda gets in the nook and cranny and it makes opening up the case a little tough. So make sure you rinse and dry it really good before getting the SJ4000 out. I love this thing!

5.0 out of 5 stars 100% satisfied, August 2, 2014
I Have not used it a whole bunch, but I did A TON of research before I bought this, I viewed many youtube reviews, side by side shots with the gopro, and saw that the quality is the same if not a little better/more clear so I finally decided to buy this, if you are in the US you will receive a US style charger unlike the picture.

This camera you may want to play with settings (which is EXTREMELY easy thanks to the screen on the back) to find the best ones for your application, It is also awesome that it comes with a bunch of different mounting stuff ulinke a gopro so you can buy, charge, and shoot all in the same day without having to spend extra money.

From my testing I have discovered that the quality is pretty amazing (as good as a gopro) although you do get some curving on the top and bottom but you will get that with a gopro, and the underwater is extremely clear

100% suggest this if you want to save some money, also it is 100% compatible with gopro accessories,
I will update if I have any issues, will be taking it camping and tubing soon

Rate and Discover Movies