Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Tropico 3: Gold Edition [Mac Download]
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

on February 22, 2012
I'd played this game in the past and it's as fun as I remember it. I bought the download because I missed it so much. You get free reign to be any kind of dictator you want. I like the ability to create a dictator, choose an island, and to customize how buildings and business are run. It's like a political Sims-type game, with more control than the Civilization games but less than actual Sims or Sim City.

That said, this game plays ONLY on full screen. This means that if you want to play it you have to take out a chunk of time to devote to it and can't be doing other things on the side. I have found that the Mac 'Spaces'/'Expose' navigation works in game, which is better than having it totally full screen, but not great. There is a way to change this on the PC but I cannot figure out how to translate it to Mac. It does make my laptop heat up a great deal and makes it slow down considerably when playing. If I had known this beforehand I probably would not have purchased the game.

The graphics are fine, although it is a little hard to navigate the map and there are few options for it. It will depend a lot on how you set your 'visuals' options, but on medium/low quality it makes my computer (1.5 year old MacBook Pro) slow down and heat up, so I don't know what the realistic best quality is.

There are also a limited number of activations on this game (I believe it's 5).
on January 6, 2015
It's a bit time consuming, and I wasn't able to finish the second tutorial. It's entertaining, you can play as a famous Latin leader like Castro, Che Guevara, Pinochet, or create your own character. My only struggle is finding my dictator within the game. I read that if your dictator shows up to a construction site, the workers work faster. Overall this guy is a lot harder than Sim City, there's a lot of decisions to make. Ironically, as someone who lived in Venezuela for a while, I can say this game does remind me of Latin America. I do wish, however, that they had more instrumental Latin music and less Spanish songs, but I guess that's part of the charm the developers were trying to create.
on March 31, 2013
This was a very long download. At 6 Mbps it took close to 4 hours, give or take.

I used to play the original Tropico, and had a lot of fun with it. Then, as now, the game suffers from exponential complexity as a game session progresses. There is more to keep up with with every new farm, industry, government infrastructure that the dictator adds to the island, and at some point it does become a chore.

This version suffers from too much chatter from the voice over character, and his accent is not all that believable. He's not the same one as the original, and that was a bit of a mistake. The original voice of the obsequious advisor had a great deal more credibility and lent a certain amount of Latin charm to the game. But it is still fun, though mastering the formula for a fast growing, happy island nation always seems just a little too elusive.
on October 24, 2012
Not a bad game, but I'm used to the CIV franchise and this doesn't really cut it. Not a bad game but the learning curve seems higher than I would like. Maybe it's me and I need to spend more time on the game? Trouble is, I don't have a lot of time and just wanted something to relax and play. I guess it took too much time to learn... played it a couple of times, that is it.
on January 19, 2014
So I have been playing Tropico since it came out many years ago. This does not have amazing graphic or intense game play. It's slow and I swear my laptop heats up to 1,000 degrees. But I always have fun.

Plus, I'm an awesome mayor. Every. Time.
on December 22, 2012
For me, the problem with this game is that there seems to be a terrible lag between being notified that something is wrong on your island, and the amount of time it takes to remediate that problem. User error and management may be the issue, but the more I tried to build an island, the more frustrated I got with being unable to create a stable society. Seems I was always chasing a problem rather than being able to look ahead.

And the game pace is a bit slow. Speed up the rate at which time passes, and the problem I described above only gets worse.
on April 12, 2013
It is alright. Not worth the money though. Maybe if it was like $5. I don't even play it anymore.
on October 17, 2014
Good SIm
on April 27, 2014
I really like this game. I know this type isn't for everyone, but if you like society simulation types, this will be great. I was a little disappointed by the lack of combat; this is mostly about making citizens happy, not fighting. But once I figured out the game, it became really fun to play. I'm a big fan of Black and White 2, also by Feral, so I figure I should give this a try. While this game is totally different, they have a similar feel, totally different from EA or Activision. If you like real-time, immersive simulators, I would HIGHLY recommend adding this to your collection.
on March 20, 2014
The game is ok but needs more options for buildings and workplaces. Gets rather dull when there is nothing new to add.