4.0 out of 5 stars Trouble Man = Pretty Good!
I had to put how I feel about this album in one sentence, it would be this: Trouble Man is a hard hitting album that doesn't let up, and because of that it might be worth buying just a few tracks instead of the whole album.

Published on December 18, 2012 by Z. Mehrbach

3.0 out of 5 stars Trouble Man
I am a huge fan of T.I./T.I.P. Trouble Man, in my opinion was a minor step back from his previous work. There are a couple tracks that I enjoy, but considering his older albums that you could just about let the entire album play in order and enjoy the whole album... this wasn't as good in my opinion.
Published 13 months ago by Doc

4.0 out of 5 stars Trouble Man = Pretty Good!, December 18, 2012
Z. Mehrbach "Zach" (Chicago/New Hampshire) - See all my reviews

I grew up loving rap artists like, Dre, Tupac, C-Lo, Ice-Cube and like current artists like Lupe Fiasco, Common and Atmosphere. One thing I liked about TI's previous work was that his music was like a combination of good modern southern rap and old school 90's hip hop.

After listening to the first song on this album I was pretty excited, as "The Introduction" is a great hard hitting song with A LOT of soul. It's actually probably my favorite song on the album. It encompasses TI's troubles and issues in the past few years and how he has worked through them and come out on the other side. I love how it talks about Rap history as well as his history in the game.

TI is quoted on Wikipedia as saying that this album is "harder" then most other stuff coming out right now. He is right, and as he also says it is a creative album, but when listened to all the way through the melodies are quite similar, the bass rumbles in a similar fashion, and his rapping starts to sound monotone, especially when compared to his other albums. My two favorites are "Paper Trail" and "Urban Legend." Both of those albums have great tracks on them, like "Motivation," "Chillin With my B&T*H, "I'm Illy," "Get Loose" and "Live Your Life." I don't believe there is a hit on this album that will find the success that "Live your life" did as there's nothing that gets me tapping my feet on this as do many of the tracks on his other albums.

I will say that the tracks I find the best on "Trouble Man" are in his collaborations with other artists. TI has always made great songs when paired with other artists. Although there is nothing as good as his work with Rihanna and Timberlake, there are some nice tracks that feature his work with other artists:
"G Season" Featuring Meek Mill is a great track with some bounce to it, a great droning bass in the background and just makes me wanna jump around.

"Wildside" featuring A$AP Rocky might be my least favorite collaboration on the album. The catchphrase about "smokin' weed" just isn't that catchy and the song drones on the whole time.
"Ball" featuring Lil Wayne has a catchy beat to it and really well mixed but Lil Wayne and TI sound very similar to each other. The song is saved by some nice variation in the bridge/chorus sections and really nice mixing.

"Hello" with Cee-Lo Green is my favorite collaboration on this album. Cee-Lo's singing really fits the song and, meshes amazingly well with TI's work. The juxtaposition between the verse's and the chorus with Cee-lo is awesome! If you're going to buy one track on this album I'd say it'd be between this and "The Introduction."

"Wonderful Life" Featuring Akon is my second favorite collaboration here. This song is right up there with the track between TI and Cee-lo and it really reminds me of some of the early Wu-Tang clan work. The song also has a great message as he talks about raising his kids up to be adults. I like that TI has taken on the part of being a role model for others after his trials and tribulations, and this comes through strongly in this song.

"Can you learn" featuring R Kelly, A nice track, but disappointed me a little bit compared to the other collaborations on the album. It's a song of redemption for TI as R Kelly asks "Could you learn to love a troubled man." For some reason the chorus and verses don't gel with each other particularly well here. I'd give this track a pass if you're going song for song.

"Sorry" featuring Andre 3000, A hard hitting track that gets very droning and boring after a minute. The chorus and verse aren't varied and the rhymes come in a very monotone manner. Pass.

"Guns and Roses" featuring Pink, This track works well. Pink brings a great style to the chorus and it blends greatly with TI's style. This one really "rocks" in its own way and is well worth a listen. It's probably the "softest" song on the album and is really the biggest variance from the rest of the albums "hard" manner. It's really a breath of fresh air. It reminds me a lot of Lupe Fiasco's early work. Which is a good thing.

The other songs on this album are mostly very hard hitting and maybe not necessarily bad, but it's just not my thing. I tend to like hip hop that has more variance between the verse and chorus that provides some subtlety for the listener and TI by himself largely doesn't do that besides "The Introduction."

If you're trying to decide between buying the whole album or just a few tracks, I would go through the Collaborative efforts on this and see how many of them you like. There are a lot of tracks here, and it may as well be worth getting the whole album for ten bucks then buying seven or eight tracks, but if you listen to the snippets and only connect with four or five as I think many people will, then you'll save some dough.

Overall a nice effort by TI. In interviews lately he seems to have taken on a mature role in the rap community, as a role model and mentor and it comes through on this album, which is great. There are a few gems here, but if listening to the album all the way through there's not always enough variance for me. Recommended if you're willing to go through the album and wittle down a playlist of your favorite tracks.

5.0 out of 5 stars One word, WOW!, December 18, 2012
H. MCGEE (Apopka, FL USA) - See all my reviews
If you r a T.I.fan and like his family oriented reality show, like me, & like his previous albums, you should love this album. Almost every track is banging. There are many standout tracks on the album detailing his life & recently, his troubles. I am not going to go over every track like many, as you can sample each track before buying, I will just say this album is in my top 5 of the year hip hop albums. T.I. has a flow that is really appealing to me, so I highly recommend this.

4.0 out of 5 stars Much More Inspired & Consistent than `No Mercy' Was - 3 ˝ Stars, December 21, 2012
T.I. embraces his `troubles' on his 8th studio effort, 2012's Trouble Man: Heavy is the Head [Explicit], which proceeds 2010's underwhelming No Mercy. T.I. released multiple singles to various digital outlets prior to the official release of the album. The overall results of Trouble Man is that T.I. delivers some solid cuts, sounding much more compelling than his previous effort. The biggest drawbacks include some less necessary cuts and the effort's extreme length (70 minutes).

On introductory cut "The Introduction", producer DJ Toomp samples Marvin Gaye's "Trouble Man". The sample foreshadows the narrative of the album. DJ Toomp's production characterizes the southern rap idiom intact with solid production work with buttressing hip-hop drum programming, present bass line, and southern rap organ. T.I. Scores memorable moments, most notably the catchy hook which both asserts and confirms T.I.'s status as a trouble man.

"G Season" featuring Meek Mill essentially writes off fake folk who aren't true gangstas but just wannabes. Cardiak delivers exceptional production work noted for its malicious brass and hard drums. T.I. asserts himself with a fiery delivery while Meek Mill complements him well on a sound second verse. "G Season" proves a strong start for Trouble Man.

DJ Toomp's top-notch production returns on the anthemic "Trap Back Jumpin", easily T.I.'s attempt at 2006's "What You Know". T.I. asserts it is time for him to show how things are really done, hence his addictive, aggressive hook: "It's time to get trap back jumpin/get [...] back poppin [...], I show these sucka [...] how it go..." Always on autopilot, T.I. delivers a valedictory effort on "Trap Back Jumpin"

"Wildside" initiates with a skit, followed by a lush, southern rap cut sporting an equally lush hook. T.I. delivers two solid verses while A$AP Rocky closes out on a third. Less stellar than "Trap Back Jumpin", "Wildside" still packs some punch. On the uptempo "Ball", T.I. & Lil Wayne aim straight for the club celebrating the excesses of partying: "This club so packed, [...]so drunk [...] I got a bottle, got a model [...]ball, ball, ball!" T.I.'s verses are similarly irresponsible while Lil Wayne adds to the carefree experience on the final verse. "Ball" serves its purpose, but isn't nearly as deep as "G Season" or "Trap Back Jumpin".

"Sorry" finds veteran André 3000 (OutKast) outperforming T.I. by playing up his eccentricities ("[...] round the time the [...] wear off, you feel stupid, she feel lost/that's that [...], I mean, I mean dopamine you think Cupid done worn off..." T.I. doesn't fall flat ("Ay, never mind what the blogs say/this what my mind and my heart say...") but André 3000 is the star of the show. An argument could additionally be made for R. Kelly's contributions on "Can You Learn", which begins with an interlude and transforms into something of a love track of which Kelly sings: "Oh baby could you learn? Could you learn to love a troubled man?" T.I. pours out his heart on the verses, though a soulful R. Kelly is hard to outperform.

"Go Get It" gives T.I. another solo cut, though it doesn't outshine the valedictory "Trap Back Jumpin". "Guns And Roses" atones for impropriety, featuring captivating production work from T-Minus (Drake, Nicki Minaj) and strong vocals from the pop star Pink. Pink shatters the chorus: "Should've known it from the start it was already over/we were just too dumb to notice and we'd pray but even love couldn't save us/we'd wake up on a bed of guns and roses/and we don't know which one to choose..."

"The Way We Ride" possesses unique production work from 1500 or Nothin'. Featuring the standard southern-rap cues, "The Way We Ride" is enjoyable and makes you nod your head to the groove. "Cruisin'" keeps the tempo slow and produces more of a contemporary R&B vibe. "Cruisin" is over-repetitive and it is uncharacteristic (save for "Whatever U Like") to hear so much singing from T.I., but the lushness and sensual hook are appreciated.

"Addresses" continues to find T.I. deliver some truly aggressive moments lyrically, but suffers from possessing a somewhat unimpressive hook. On "Hello", Pharrell Williams provides eclectic, soulful production work while Cee Lo Green seals the deal with a soulful hook ("Just keep going and don't look back/and look forward from where you're at/there's some jealousy in your rearview/wave hello, hello, hello...")? "Hello" is not necessarily the cream of the crop, but delivers more than "Cruisin" or "Addresses".

"Who Want Some" showcases more of that initial grit T.I. showed on cuts like "G Season" or "Trap Back Jumpin". DJ Toomp's production work certainly helps to shape this. The biggest detraction is a six minute duration. "Wonderful Life" finds guest Akon borrowing from an Elton John classic on the hook: "And you can tell everybody this song...I hope you don't mind, I hope you don't mind/that I put down in words how wonderful life like..." T.I.'s messages on his verses have much more substance than some of the previous cuts, which is a pro. "Hallelujah" closes the standard edition, lifting from the childhood classic "Jesus Loves Me" and Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah". Previously released singles "Love This Life" and "Like That", both solid, conclude the deluxe edition.

Trouble Man: Heavy is the Head [Explicit] ultimately is an enjoyable affair. There are some flaws, but also more than enough triumphs to atone for these. T.I. is at his best when he embraces his harder side and pairs up with strong collaborative partners be it mainstay producer DJ Toomp or guest artists like André 3000. The album is perhaps fifteen minutes too long, but easily more inspired than 2010's lackadaisical No Mercy.

4.0 out of 5 stars The return of TIP, December 22, 2012
aries_BLU (Bay Area, USA) - See all my reviews
Many feel that TI lost his vibe quite a bit with No Mercy. That can arguably be an honest discussion. But with No Mercy, TI was in a totatlly different place than he is now (due to his actions of course). Now he is a little more free with less restrictions and it definitely shows in this album. If you are a diehard fan, than you will realize that with Trouble Man, there is the reintroduction of TIP. This isn't TI, but T.I.P.

I like the collaborations on this album. Ceelo can do almost no wrong for me musicality wise. I think people are forgetting his background in the music industry, but it was cool seeing what a collabo between the two of these individuals would turn out like in the song Hello.

Guns and Roses. Can I say wow at this song? The collaboration between TI and Pink seems unheard of, maybe impossible, but it works. TI takes a lot of risks with this album, but with solid lyrics and beats, and unique but relevant features like A$AP Rocky, Ceelo Green, P!nk, R Kelly and Akon, this is a return of a man many were waiting for.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Album from T.I., December 18, 2012
it's simple, i listened to the whole album before i bought, its a great album all the way through. from the very 1st track (The Introduction) i knew the album would be hot. i was not disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars PHENOMENAL, December 18, 2012
One of, in not his BEST work! every track is hittin! This will be in rotation! Great job T.I.!!!

This is RAP!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Heavy is the Head and apparently the subject-matter on the CD, June 18, 2014
T.I. rarely disappoints on an album. This album was good though. The person that sent it out did so very quickly. The CD seems a bit commercialized with many guest features and not enough tracks with TI rapping by himself. The production was pretty good, but lacked a lot of party up-tempo beats and talked about a lot of deep issues. The album was not light-hearted at all except for the auto-tuned summer banger "Crusin;" that never made it to radio's top 100. The CD sounds like a T.I. compilation of old and new music and could have easily passed for a Datpiff.com mix-tape.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great cd, April 7, 2014
Great cd if you are a Ti fan or like rap you would like this cd it's a good album

5.0 out of 5 stars Sometimes it takes others longer, March 29, 2014
He has definitely come full circle on this album. Perseverance and difficult life situations teach us all how to become better people

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, March 27, 2014
it is very good cd and it just doesnt have one good song on it....i think it is tis best cd so far