4.0 out of 5 stars Revised my opinion...
What I believed: I will never like a graphic novel. I read (and enjoy) "real" books, not comic books. When I first glimpsed Trouble I, I didn't give it a second look. I felt that the graphic format trivialized what might otherwise be a good story. But then, I read it.

Now I believe: The Trouble books are a different kind of reading entertainment, but they are...
Published on November 19, 2011 by Amazon Customer

1.0 out of 5 stars Buy for the artwork...not the story
First let me say that I love Barnaby and Hooker. I bought both Metro Girl and Motor Mouth in book form and on CDs so that I could listen to it in the car on long trips. When I saw another book with these two, I pre-ordered it. The package arrived last night and I couldn't wait to read it. Then I opened the package...graphic novel. Yuck!

After sulking for a...
Published on July 20, 2010 by aReader

1.0 out of 5 stars Buy for the artwork...not the story, July 20, 2010
This review is from: Troublemaker Book 1 (Hardcover)

After sulking for a couple of hours, I did sit down and read it. The story is simple (Rosa is missing) and so is the language. "My name is Alex Barnaby. I once stole an eighteen-wheeler and drove it to Miami."

My main gripe about the book is it's not finished. This is only chapter 1 thru 4. I also don't like the font that is used in the ballons that go along with the artwork. It's small and thin. I had to take my glasses off to actually be able to focus on the print.

On the upside...the artwork is beautiful. The artist put more time and effort into the book than the authors did and gets the lowest credit. That's a shame. I think Joelle Jones should get top billing on this book not Janet Evanovich and her daughter.

I have a list of authors. Some are marked "Buy everything they write", others are marked "Evaluate first and then buy (maybe)" and "Library Only" and still others are "Never ever buy them or read them again". I think JE has now moved down to the "Library Only" catagory.

1.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, August 3, 2010
This review is from: Troublemaker Book 1 (Hardcover)
It's amazing to me that anyone still buys an Evanovich book. How many worthless books does an author have to produce before devoted fans stop buying?? I stopped after Plum Spooky. Before that, I knew when the release date was for each book, and bought the very day it came out. I loved all the numbered Plum books, the off numbered ones, and even her previously published romantic novels. Imagine my surprise, when #14 was written in what seemed to be a completely different style! It was beyond boring, the humor fell flat on it's face. I wondered if this was really Janet Evanovich writing this?? Well, everyone has an off day. So, when Plum Spooky came out, I bought it sight unseen, sure that the Janet I knew would be back in her true form. I couldn't believe that Plum Stupid, uh, I mean Plum Spooky, was as bad as it was. Very much, in fact, like #14. When #15 came out, I wasn't dumb enough to buy it sight unseen. When I looked it over, I quickly realized it was as bad as the last two. I no longer even notice when an Evanovich book is released. But I was in Borders yesterday, and saw Trouble Maker. I took it to the cafe, and was stunned by the quality of the art! Wow, I thought, was this Alex's work? She used to do a comic strip on the website. Uh, no, it was someone else named Joelle, I think. My compliments to her, by the way. The dialogue in the "novel" was so boring and without inspiration I didn't bother to read it all. Isn't anyone telling Janet these things? Surely the publisher knows?? Well, money talks, and I just hope that the people like me, who don't have money to throw away, but unlike me who are still throwing it away, are getting some enjoyment out of buying these worthless books from a previously great author. Want to buy #14 and Plum Spooky from me? Both are hardcover, both I should have returned for a full refund the day I bought them.

1.0 out of 5 stars You must be kidding, July 20, 2010
This review is from: Troublemaker Book 1 (Hardcover)
I cannot believe what a money grubbing piece of nonsense this disgrace of so called book is. Shame on Janet Evanovich, her daughter and the publisher. This is no 'novel', graphic or otherwise. It's a pathetic comic with a hardcover that takes less than 20 minutes to read. The artwork is beautiful. The story is beyond lame.

DO NOT waste your money. One entire page had all of about 7 lines of dialogue, another 3 lines. This wouldn't even qualify as a short story if sold by the word. The page count was heavily padded by the artwork, which is just not a substitute for plot or content. Honestly, it reads like a first year writing class assignment and dressed up with great artwork and that does not a graphic novel make.

I am so over Janet Evanovich and her ridiculous money making schemes. And shame on Amazon for promoting this rip-off.

PS: I actually did an estimated word count for this graphic novel. It's under 1,500 words. To put this in perspective, a typical typeset page has 350 to 650 words. Even with a big typeface, small page size, this 'novel' would struggle to be 3-4 pages of barely related vignettes with virtually nothing to hold each so-called 'chapter' together.

3.0 out of 5 stars Really great artwork, but..., July 20, 2010
Julia Holloway (Washington, DC USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Troublemaker Book 1 (Hardcover)
I was torn over how to rate this teaser of a hardback comic book. I really, really, really liked Joelle Jones' artwork, but I definitely agree with the other reviewers. This is not a "novel" in any sense, just a "trailer" for a story. I also used to order anything by Janet Evanovich, but not this series. I'll still read them, because of Janet's trademark snappy dialogue, but not for full price.

All that said, this story does have many of the characters and relationships I loved in Motor Mouth and Metro Girl--Barney and Sam, Barney's friends Felicia and Rosa, and now a great new character, Sam's mother Candice Hooker, who's just moved to Florida from Texas. What a hoot she is! The artwork was so much more than I expected, better than I could have ever imagined, but the story was so very much less. Maybe, if the next episode (NOT "book") was issued in softcover, I could recommend it...

1.0 out of 5 stars This is a comic disaster, July 22, 2010
This review is from: Troublemaker Book 1 (Hardcover)
I am a JE fan, but this collaboration is a way to spell disaster. I wish I would have understood BETTER that this is a COMIC BOOK. The dialogue is disjointed and hard to follow. I am returning this book. Next time your daughter wants to do a comic book, let her stand alone with her own name and not add yours to the top so that your fans buy it and line her pockets with money.

1.0 out of 5 stars Trouble Maker - Cheated, July 23, 2010
This review is from: Troublemaker Book 1 (Hardcover)
Janet Evanovich is my favorite author. I look forward to each new publication and read it from start to finish. Trouble Maker has no finish. The art work is excellent and well suited to Evanovich's narrative style, but this very slim volume is only chapter one of a novel. The hard backed comic book is quickly read and leaves you feeling .... cheated. I will not buy or read any further editions. I don't like being cheated.

1.0 out of 5 stars Stick to Stephanie Plum, August 6, 2010
This review is from: Troublemaker Book 1 (Hardcover)
Evanovich's fans clamor for new Stephanie Plum books. Why is she wasting her time on this utter crap? These aren't real books and it's very disappointing. Her "Sizzlin' Sixteen" was a real disappointment, too. Short, no plot, not nearly as funny as her other ones and then I read that her daughter's writing the new ones, which explains why the spark is gone. It's all about churning out books, books and more books for more and more money. Never mind what the loyal readers want. I love the Plum series and I loved the audiobooks, which keep getting shorter and shorter. If this keeps up, I won't be reading any more of her books. Don't waste your money.

1.0 out of 5 stars total waste of money, August 1, 2010
This review is from: Troublemaker Book 1 (Hardcover)
I was so disappointed in Janet for putting out this piece of junk. I wish I would have waited before buying it to read the reviews first. This "graphic novel", was not funny or entertaining at all. I felt like I was ripped off. I will not be buying the sequel.

1.0 out of 5 stars NEGATIVE 10 STARS!!!!!! Evanovich has lost her mind, please get a de-programmar., August 15, 2010
Karen L. Arbuthnot (Marlton, NJ United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Troublemaker Book 1 (Hardcover)
I'm sorry I had to give this even 1 star. It deserves a negative rating of 10 stars.

I am a great fan of the Stephanie Plum series and own them all on compact disc. I am also a fan of Big Girl and Motor Mouth. I was looking forward to the third installment of the series but I was wondering what was taking so long. Now I know, we all had to wait for the drawings to be done. What a disappointment this comic book is. I personally gave up comic books 40 years ago. Who did you think you would be interested in this format? Obviously, not your current fans (as the reviews attest to). Maybe, you hoped to catch the tween/teen crowd (not a snowballs chance in *%#@).

Here is an example of the popularity of this book. I work in a County Library System. As of this date, here are our stats for Troublemaker (released 7/20/10). Our branch has 1 copy and there are 8 copies total in our system with 47 holds pending. Compare Sizzling Sixteen which was released 6/22/10 (which would have been similar to an order of Troublemaker as a "real book"), 9 copies at my branch, 41 copies in the system and 217 holds pending.

I'm sure you'll make the same amount of money if you divide your profits per words written since you didn't have to put much effort into the writing part. I am curious as to who convinced you to make this change. Your publisher? Someone needs to be fired. Your daughter? Maybe she should try writing her own comic book and keep her nose out of the series you have already established. I'm so tired of author's children trying to make a name for themselves on the backs of their established and popular parent.

I pray that you will reconsider this "experiment" and sit down to write Troublemaker as an actual book. AND FOR PITTY SAKE, DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT TRYING THIS "EXPERIMENT" WITH THE STEPHANIE PLUM SERIES.

1.0 out of 5 stars This is not an actual novel - it's only a thin comic book!, August 6, 2010
This review is from: Troublemaker Book 1 (Hardcover)
I rate this a one star because Amazon failed to clearly advertise that this is not an actual "novel" like Metro Girl and Motor Mouth - it's a skinny freakin' comic book!

Don't waste your money. If you look at the price listed on the back cover, the publisher wants approx $17 for this joke of a "book"!

Buyer beware, wish I had known that this wasn't a real book when I pre-ordered it. Eh, at least I got it at Amazon's special "pre order" price so I only lost about $9.

Epic failure on Amazon's part for their failure to clearly advertise that this was a "graphic" novel and not a REAL novel.

Troublemaker Book 1: Alex Barnaby Series 3
Troublemaker Book 1: Alex Barnaby Series 3 by Janet Evanovich (Hardcover - July 20, 2010)
Used & New from: $1.97