Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

Troubleshooting Mr. Coffee Leaks, etc.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 8, 2008 1:03:58 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 25, 2008 12:34:40 PM PST
NewsView says:
First thing to check if you have a leak:

1. There is a weep hole mounted to the back near the 12-cup mark. If you use something other than the carafe to fill the water reservoir it may leak. Those who brew full pots are more likely to experience this particular issue.

2. If you are measuring the water correctly and it still leaks, here is the advice from Mr. Coffee:

There is a small rubber tube that goes into the back of your coffee maker. Please carefully remove that rubber piece, by gently pulling it out of the back of the coffee maker.

Look very carefully at that rubber tube. There is a hole in the end that was inside the coffee maker.

That hole is supposed to be facing down. If you replace the tube, by carefully pushing it in, making sure that the hole is facing down, it should correct the issue with it leaking.

3. If it is leaking from the bottom (not from the brew basket area), it may be that one of the two tube attachments directly above the flat portion of the bottom has come loose. If your unit is out of warranty, you can partially disassemble the coffee maker while unplugged to check (this is not something recommended in the owner's manual but is an endeavor you take at your own risk). If either tube comes off or perforates, it could result in a leak that would appear to puddle at the bottom (without drips down the sides).

4. If it is leaking from the brew basket area, it may be that:

* the decanter is not fully seated;
* you have removed the carafe for over 30 seconds, which is the maximum time specified by the owner's manual during Pause 'n Serve;
* the permanent filter is clogged or worn out, which may cause the water entering the basket to build up faster than it can exit;
* another source of potential overflow stems from using the wrong size or placement of paper filter, either of which may cause the paper sides to collapse in on themselves thereby impeding direct water flow to the grounds;
* the paper or permanent filter has been filled with fine grinds. The user manual recommends medium grind, which is the standard recommendation for most automatic-drip coffeemakers;
* the water filtration disk has been removed, is clogged or has worn out;
* the filter/brew basket assembly isn't seated properly.

5. If you cannot brew at the rate of one cup per minute, which is the Good Housekeeping Institute recommendation for modern automatic-drip coffee makers, it may be possible to restore it with a good cleaning. Oftentimes a single de-scaling procedure is not enough, even if the red cleaning light goes out after one go around. Repeat the cleaning procedure three or four times, and time the dispensing rate (10 cups should take 10 minutes, etc.). Oftentimes this procedure will also improve flavor by removing rancid oils and stray coffee grounds.

6. While it is difficult to determine whether brew temperatures are reaching the ideal range of roughly 190-205, you may, however, measure the temperature of the rinse water after cleaning the coffee maker with vinegar. In a pre-warmed mug you should get a reading of 170 according to the Good Housekeeping Institute. My experience with this coffee maker after two years of use is that freshly brewed coffee comes out cooler than rinse water does - more like 160.

7. If the coffee tastes bad, turn down the warming plate. Overcooked coffee will smell and taste burnt. Likewise, coffee brewed on the "strong" setting may not be to everyone's liking.

8. For best possible flavor, store fresh, whole beans in a cool, airtight container. Grind the beans using a burr grinder, and use up the resulting grind within 30 minutes.

9. Last but not least, don't forget to keep your original receipt and box. If the above suggestions do not work, you may need them!

While some of these tips may seem all-too obvious, I hope there is at least one suggestion in here that helps someone achieve better results. I am convinced there are a lot of lemons out there, but despite all the bad reviews I bought one of these coffee makers at Costco over two years ago and had no problem with it (other than the bad coffee flavor that I began to get after spent grounds backwashed into the water reservoir). It overflowed only once in that time, and the Pause 'n Serve worked more reliably than any of the other machines I own. The main complaint I have is that the nonstick warming plate still rusted, but I discovered that it was caused by putting a damp decanter fresh from the dishwasher back in place.

Good luck!

Posted on May 29, 2011 5:33:41 PM PDT
I just took the bottom off (6 screws) and found the rubber hose completely popped off. reconnected the hose and no more leaks

Posted on Jan 29, 2012 6:07:17 AM PST
The Baron says:
#4 omits the possibility that the lever that opens and closes the valve at the bottom of the filter basket may be faulty. When you place the pot in position, the pour spout pushes the end of this lever, which opens the valve at the bottom of the filter basket, allowing the coffee to drip into the pot. On my 12-cup machine, it looks like coffee is flowing down this lever, then dripping onto the base and out the bottom of the machine. It's poorly designed.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2013 4:14:03 PM PST
It worked! Rubber hose had crack at end and I cut off small part and reattached. Hose almost too short. Will see if it stays on the metal tube, think it will

Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 25, 2013 6:19:55 AM PST
jasony says:
#2 FTW! What, did they assemble mine wrong? Or maybe years ago I flipped it trying to get an extra cup ;)

Posted on Feb 19, 2014 3:11:58 PM PST
yeah i make a pot or so every couple of days. too bad they make things that dont last im kind of dissapointed in mr coffee as of late. they seem to have no answers other then buying a new one. this is what happens with poorley trained people and a company whos name means nothing anymore. thank NAFTA for that one

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 3, 2015 2:10:49 PM PDT
#2 did it for me after several months of cursing, thanks! I can guess that the assemblers thought that placing the hole on top would be less prone to discharge but it's not correct. Any water that enters the hole will drip onto your counter. Water will enter the hole because the cold water check valve is cheap and will allow some water to surge back into the reservoir. As for removing the six screws, the two front screws under the gray feet are security Torx screws. There's a video on YouTube showing how to get them out with a small jewelers screw driver.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 26, 2015 12:24:22 PM PDT
don dahl says:
damn that's why.. thanks mr coffee

Posted on Apr 17, 2016 6:00:46 AM PDT
Nancy Dahle says:
Just got a $50 Mr coffee 12 cup latest model and the carafe leaks a whole good puddle on counter after you pour a cup of coffee must have a bad seal between the glass and plastic of carafe, what a mess it makes anyway it is going back.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 24, 2016 8:11:52 AM PDT
Kuenzi says:
We just bought a Mr. Coffee and the glass carafe leaked around the pour spout. There is a small plastic oval on the handle which you can pry out with a small flat blade screwdriver, to access the screw that holds the handle assemby to the glass. We removed the whole handle assembly to find they had laid a cheap bead of caulk that had gaps. Removed the caulk and laid a new bead. There is a notch by the pour spout, so have to be careful not to rotate and tear the caulk when re-assembling.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  10
Total posts:  10
Initial post:  Jan 8, 2008
Latest post:  Apr 24, 2016

Search Customer Discussions