4.0 out of 5 stars Good Tiller, when used correctly.
Published on May 9, 2007 by Walter Blackledge

3.0 out of 5 stars To Small
This tiller is to small for anything but flower & postage stamp size gardens. I hate the fact it has no nuetral gear which makes it impossible to move without starting the engine. It has one speed only, SLOW!!! Not really adequate for a real garden. To expensive for the limited use.
Published on November 25, 2007 by Larry Vaught

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Tiller, when used correctly., May 9, 2007
This review is from: Troy-Bilt Super Bronco 6 HP Rear Tine Tiller Super Bronco (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Lawn & Patio)
I've read some really bad reviews about this and other Troy built tillers in its class. I believe if you have expectations of effortlessly walking behind it with one hand on it, then you are going to be very disappointed. I know the TV ad shows someone doing this, but that is on an established garden that has already been tilled with loose soil and just a ¼ inch crust of hard soil on top to make it look good for the camera.

This is NOT a plow, it is NOT a disker, it's a tiller.

If you need to create a new garden on a piece of ground that has an established green grass lawn, then I highly suggest finding a farmer with a small tractor to plow and disk it for you first.

You will work up a sweat running this tiller, but its much easier than using a front tine tiller. The physical effort working clay soil is about the same as pushing a large 5HP push lawn mower in knee high grass, if that gives you an idea how easy it is to till with the super bronco.

It seems well built, easy to start, but you have to walk around to the front to kill the engine, no kill switch on the handle. The counter turning tines are a bit goofy too in that it doesn't make mobility any easier.

4.0 out of 5 stars Troy-Bilt Rear Tiller, January 3, 2007
Gary D. Jones (Alamosa, CO USA) - See all my reviews
The tiller works very well for a small to medium sized garden. It works vegetable refuse into the soil very well, finely tilling the soil. Make sure you fasten the clips on the tires securely or you will lose the clip and the tire will come off. Overall, very satisfied with the tiller.

3.0 out of 5 stars To Small, November 25, 2007

4.0 out of 5 stars Gets the Job Done, August 21, 2008
M. Fass (Moraga, CA USA) - See all my reviews
The customers giving this a bad review probably don't do a lot of yard work. Once you figure out how to use it, it is a work horse and I tilled my entire front and back yards of hard clay. You do need some upper body strength to change direction etc. I learned not to push down on the handle and just let it do the work. The engine is very reliable and starts right up. My only issue is the weight. It needs to be heavier over the tillers to be able to push into hard soil so I just added my own from my old weight lifting set and viola.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, October 7, 2010
I found the Super Bronco on sale at Lowes for $400. I snatched it up, and THEN began reading the reviews. "Uh oh. Its got a lot of bad reviews. It supposedly takes off on you when it hits hardpan."

I couldn't till anything for a few days after purchasing it because of the rain. I set a date of 3 days after the rain to test it out.

I have several areas I needed to till. Once was an old chicken coop location where a lot of manure had packed the area. I started it up and laid it on to see what it could do.

No jerks or wild take offs at all. Pretty smooth running tiller. Not loud at all. I really wondered where all the bad reviews are coming from. I found this tiller to be far from a "Super Bronco," and more like a "super pussycat." Really. Its very mild mannered at all times. Never felt like it was going to launch.

You have to let this machine do the work. If you try to press down on it to make it go faster, it won't work very well. in fact, I spent most of my effort and energy pulling UP on the thing, rather than down. The one handed operation is really a must. You simply have to nudge it up and along its way.

It is adjustable for depths of up to 6", but I never took it off the max depth. You may need to make two passes, as the first pass tears up about 2-3", and the second pass goes down to maximum depth of 6-8".

I found this tiller much easier to work than other Troy Bilt tillers I've used. It is fairly well designed, fairly quiet, and works much better than trying to till by hand.

Here are my knocks:

There is no neutral gearing. You have to use cotter pins in the wheels to lock them in place. Once done, the unit CANNOT BE MOVED without starting it up and letting the wheels walk it around. To go into neutral is to unlock the wheels - which is a hassle and pain. The pin locks are spring loaded and are designed to always snap down into place - making pulling them out a real challenge.

The gearing IS slow - not painfully, but still slow. The plus side is that the tiller does a good job and doesn't run off with the ground half plowed. The gearing is also attached to the idle speed, so the slower the idle, the slower the speed.

The tiller bogs down if it encounters grass or any loose impediments. The tractor wheels load up quickly with mud if the ground isn't entirely dry, (which you don't really want, since slightly damp ground till much easier than hard pack.) You really have to keep nudging and rocking the unit when it starts to bog. Also, use the reverse to back up and clear the wheels/tines. This helps a lot, and you can launch into the crud from the top, rather than from behind.

All in all, I think I have a decent unit. Like I said, the comparison is doing the job by hand, and in that regard, any tiller is better than no tiller. The fact I got it on sale is also another plus. I probably wouldn't like it as much if I had to pay full boat. The lack of a neutral gear is a the biggest knock, and you do have to move to the front to adjust the idle and turn it off.

That said, when you're finished, your ground is well tilled and the soil is fluffy and ready to plant. You can do a 70x30 piece of land in about an hour. (Make sure you plant your rows far enough apart to accommodate the width of this tiller, so you can cultivate with it after your plants have started growing.) I would say that's a major plus, and though I could wish for a few more sexy options and the like, the bottom line is this tiller works as advertized with little fuss and muss. When you're finished, spray down the unit and get'er clean, and you'll be ready to fire her up the next time you need something tilled.

Solid four stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super Bronco is Super, May 17, 2009
Have a medium sized garden. Rented and borrowed all types of front tine tillers,they were a struggle. Purchased a Honda Mini Tiller, great for going around plants, not really to be used as a tiller,didn't hold up. Din't really want to spend the $ for a troy bilt, didn't seem worth it to just mix up dirt. Was I wrong. Great machine even for breaking up new soil, just take your time its not heavy equipment. I even volunteer to till other gardens. On previously tilled soil, you only need one hand. It is the most smoothest,and does the best job I ever experienced. Its heavy, not for 1 person to throw in the back of a truck-need ramps, seems very well built.Sales persons who didn't even sell these, recommended it. Troy-Bilt Super Bronco 6 HP Rear Tine Tiller #Super Bronco

3.0 out of 5 stars Troy-Bilt Super Bronco Tiller, September 30, 2008
R. T. Clopton (Kathleen, Georgia) - See all my reviews
I am enjoying this tiller - I've just used it about 6 - 8 hours so far - I would say - The only complaint I would have - or suggestion to Troy-Bilt - is concerning the handles - As designed the handles and support bars are not substantial enough to manipulate the tiller without some bending/warping. I know this is a smaller piece of equipment than the "horse" and I am satisfied with the power and performance of the tiller - However it still needs to be manipulated in the garden, turned around to go from row to row. The handles are just TOO FLIMSY to accomplish this satisfactorily.

T. Clopton

4.0 out of 5 stars Review by Anthesis, September 20, 2007
I found the tiller to be well designed and easy to use. The tiller came with a missing part for the wheels. The part was expeditiously replaced and I am content with the product. On a scale of 1-10 with ten being the best I would give this tiller an 8. The reason for this is that vibration in the handle caused by the motor operatioin was excessive. Anyone with a carpel-tunnel syndrom may experience a temporary aggravation of the condition due to having to forcefully grip the vibrating handle. I would also recommend instructions on pre-wetting the soil 24-48 hours before using the tiller for optimum performance.

1.0 out of 5 stars Troy-Built POS!, February 28, 2011
I bought this tiller about a year ago for a small garden and realized Troy-Built is manufacturing JUNK! If you want to break ground in 1 inch increments at a time, then this tiller is just for you! If you want to vibrate your hand to death while tilling, then this tiller is just for you. If you want a tiller that is hard to control by tilling in a straight line, then this tiller is just for you. If you want to tear out the guts for hours to replace a belt with no instruction what so ever on how to do this, then this tiller is just for you. I guess this is a company now operated by a CEO interested in profits only and willing to compromise quality and consumer satisfaction for self gain. It's sad to see a good company going down the drain. I will never purchase a Troy-Built product again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Little workhorse!, May 14, 2007
This tiller makes quick work in our established garden. Also works good creating new beds in established lawn area. Wish we had bought one years ago. saves alot of time.

Rate and Discover Movies