5.0 out of 5 stars Troy-Bilt Rototiller

3.0 out of 5 stars Quality has really declined
Published on May 25, 2007 by Steven Kasower

5.0 out of 5 stars Troy-Bilt Rototiller, March 26, 2006
Anthony Sacco (New Jersey, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Troy-Bilt Pony 6.5 HP Rear Tine Tiller Pony (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Lawn & Patio)
This is a great roto-tiller! I purchased this tiller to replace my old Troy-Bilt "Junior". (My Junior served me faithfully for 23 years before I retired it.) The Pony is a little larger and works as advertised but you MUST read the instructions on how to use it or you will be disapointed (as have several people who have written reviews on other websites). For example, when tilling new, unbroken ground, set the tines depth to 2 inches and make several passes. Then drop the tines another 2 inches and make several more passes. Continue this pattern until you reach your desired depth. If you start tilling new ground with the tines set to mazimun depth, the tiller will lurch and buck and pull you along with it. From my experience gardening with my tiller, this WILL cause you to hate your tiller. Use it properly and you will absolutely love this machine!

Another piece of advise: go to the Troy-Bilt website [...] and read about the different tillers. There are Forward Rotating Tines (FRT) and Counter Rotating Tines (CRT). If you're buying a tiller specifically to break new ground, you probably want one with CRT. If you're buying a tiller to occassionally break ground but mostly to use in flower beds and gardening, you probably want one with FRT. It pays to do a little research BEFORE you buy the wrong tiller!

One last thing, make SURE you buy one with Power Reverse! This should be standard on EVERY tiller, however, Troy-Bilt actually makes a forward drive only tiller. It works fine until you till yourself into a corner of your garden or yard and then realize you have to physically drag a 175lb plus machine backwards thru the soil you have just tilled! It makes NO SENSE to me why they would build a unit without power reverse! A tiller without power reverse is only good for tilling in circles. Hope this information is helpful!

A Troy-Bilt satisfied customer for over 25 years now!

5.0 out of 5 stars Troy-Bilt Pony, April 27, 2007
John Engle (Ashville, Ohio USA) - See all my reviews
This machine lives up to its reputation. It seems to have plenty of power and easily cut through grass.

It took me about an hour to assemble it, fully reading the manual and leisurely taking my time - 3 bolts for the handle bars and 3 cables to attach to the handle bars. Add oil (included) and gas. It started on the first try on the first pull!

Some notes:

It is heavy! Shipping weight is just shy of 200lbs, which means that UPS isn't dropping it on your front porch. It will ship via truck. No big deal, except that you much realize that you will need to get it off the truck by yourself, as most trucking companies do not require the drive to help you unload it. So get have a friend/neighbor available. Or if you have to unload it yourself, make a couple of ramps out of 2x8's and slide it down from the truck - it worked like a dream for me. Alternatively, some trucking companies offer liftgate service (for a fee - my quote qas $109 - I passed), where the driver will put your delivery on a hydraulic lift gate and lower it to the ground. Then you have to get it off the lift gate.

The owners manual is fairly detailed. However, some of the photos aren't very good/clear. Secondly, my owners manual must have been for a previous version, as the unpacking instructions didn't quite match the way my unit was packed. This caused some confusion on my part initially.

It does a dandy job of tilling. You must be careful of pushing down on the handlebar while tilling, as the tines will bite into the ground and "shoot" the tiller forward. This is clearly outlined in the manual - however, I felt that it's worth noting how little downwards pressure it took to incur this.

The reverse feature is handy, but, in my opinion, awkward to use. You have to tilt the tiller foward so as to get the tines off the ground and pull the reverse knob backwards at the same time. This makes it a bit difficult to steer/control in reverse. Also reverse is slow as compared to forward, which is probably done for safety, but still it would be nice if it moved backwards a bit faster. Still better than nothing.

I found it quite easy to push around with the engine off. It rolls quite nicely, even across grass. I found the height adjustment a bit stiff, maybe this will loosen up with a bit of use.

The only design flaw I see is that the clutch cable arcs out extremely close to the right side tire. So close in fact, that after the tires became caked with mud, the clutch cable subsequently became caked with mud that was rubbed off of the tire by the cable. A cable tie to the right side handle bar will easily correct this problem - no big deal.

3.0 out of 5 stars Quality has really declined, May 25, 2007
This Troy-Bilt Pony is the third one I have owned. This one replaced a model that was stolen from me. The Amazon price and free shipping is certainly a good deal. I am really concernied about the quality of this model nowadays. Obviously Troy-Bilt is no longer manufactured by the original company and it really shows. The components include alot of plastic parts and covers, the controls are not easy to use, and there are sharp edges where we grab the auto release safety handles. While the Amazon price makes this a somewhat reasonable investment, I do not think that this version will last as many years as my other models.

Next time, I plan to put the money toward a BCS...a high quality tiller with machined parts, but WAY more expensive than Troy-Bilt. I guess we get what we pay for.

3.0 out of 5 stars Quality Has dropped, May 30, 2007
WudTurner (Portland, Or) - See all my reviews
I just bought a new Troybilt Pony, electric start tiller. The first time I used it, within 30 minutes one of the "welded on" brackets fell off, allowing the clutch engage handles to drop down. Upon further inspection, I noticed several other places where the welds were poorly done but covered thoroughly with paint. So, I belive the quality of craftmanship has deteriorated some from the "old days" before MTD bought TroyBilt out. So, be sure to look your machine over, very carefully when you first receive it. It started and tilled just fine prior to the bracket coming off, but I am a little concerned about what may break or come apart next.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pony is awesome, February 27, 2009
I bought my Pony direct from Troy bilt in 1998. It was more expensive than other products I looked at but the difference to me was in the details. The Pony had ALL metal parts --no plastic. This is a heavy, and heavy duty machine. Like the others say, if you are using it to break ground, then you need to make multiple passes and drop the height slowly. But once you get the ground broken, you can run this thing with one hand while it tills and moves forward on its own. No wrestling with it. Yes it rolls well with the wheels disengaged so you can move it around the yard -- as much as a 200lb machine "rolls well" around the yard. ;-) The best thing about this tiller has been its reliability. I have had mine since 1998 and from day one it started easily with usually 1 pull - sometimes 2. Now more than 10yrs later -- it still started with 1 pull the first day out after winter. And I don't do anything special to it. Literally I have replaced the spark plug once and changed the oil 3 times. I do generally leave the gas tank empty when not in use so I always start with fresh gas. I actually had to replace my tines this year (2009) since they were pretty well worn. I'm amazed at how well this thing still works and it wore out the tines before the engine! I learned a long time ago that you get what you pay for. This one has been a great deal for me in the long run!

Now the caveat. I've heard that Troy Bilt was bought out by MTD recently. I've had some MTD products before (push mower, riding mower and leaf vacuum) and all of them have been crap. So I hope MTD allows this Troy Bilt to continue to be made to the old specs and doesn't try to "save money" on manufacturing...

Rate and Discover Movies