5.0 out of 5 stars Great Snowblower

Published 19 months ago by Biomedman

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Snowblower, October 9, 2009
Charles Beckley (Missoula, Montana) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Troy-Bilt StormTM 3090 XP Snow Thrower
I bought this snowblower in 2008 at Loew's for $1099 and it is fantastic. It is built with lots of steel and is not at all flimsy - very rugged Starts first pull in the coldest weather. I live in Western Montana and we get tons of snow. I also live on 50 acres of land in the mountains and have a LOT of area to keep clear with out buildings and paths to fuel and propane tanks. It chews the snow right up. The auto steering head is the BEST. I can change direction and pitch of the head right from console without having to crank or leave the back of the machine. The heated hand grips are nice and the headlight is great for those early dark nights. I'm a confirmed Troy-Bilt fan after getting this machine.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed... not recommended, February 10, 2013
Biomedman (Boston, MA, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Troy-Bilt StormTM 3090 XP Snow Thrower
I had a 15 year old Simplicity 9HP that started leaking oil, so I cleaned it up and sold it last year. That old Simplicity was a well-made machine that could grind through anything. I didn't want to deal with the cost of fixing a leaking transfer case so I bought this Troy-Bilt based on Consumer Reports reviews. Well, I finally got a chance to give this thing a good work out in the 24" snowstorm we just had and overall I'm very disappointed and will be selling it next season and getting another Simplicity. Yes, the Simplicity costs 50% more, but I think it's well worth it and here's why...

1) This Troy-Bilt 3090XP is made significantly inferior to a Simplicity in that it is made of flimsy, flexible tubular steel; whereas the Simplicity is made akin to I-Beam framing (i.e. significantly stronger).

2) The tires have hardly any grip on snow; they just kept slipping all the time forcing me to constantly push or pull this machine to keep it going. I typically run a path around my house for animals and general access, but this thing couldn't even make it out of my driveway. The Simplicity would just run over hill & dale with ease.

3) The drive system would just stall out when going into deep piles. I mean it just stopped moving forward! So... I again had to push & pull to go through piles. Damn I was tired after using this. Again, the Simplicity would run up & over piles like a tank!

4) The gearing even in 1st gear I think is too fast. The throwing of a 24" pile couldn't keep up with the speed so I had to keep backtracking for cleaning up. Anything above 1st gear was more for 4" or less and general clearing.

5) The auger (left) and drive (right) handles are meant for left-handed people. It sounds logical, but it isn't. With snowblowers, you have to keep the drive handle locked down or it stops moving and throwing. So, due to the handle configuration that leaves your left hand to do all of the controlling with the joystick, which isn't fun for right handed people...at least not for me. Also, the movement of the joystick requires some effort to push the button and move it, especially when covered with snow. Try doing all of this while the machine is moving!

6) The chute is flimsy plastic; the Simplicity is all metal and all business; I can't see the Troy-Bilt lasting 15+ years

7) The Troy-Bilt seems much more susceptible to old gas. Only a month between uses (with Stabil in the tank) and it won't run smooth unless the choke is partially on. Plus, this engine doesn't seem to rev nearly as high as the Simplicity did.

8) The belt squealed when engaging the auger if there was any snow in the impeller; the Simplicity NEVER did that.

9) Everything is exposed on the Troy-Bilt so snow/ice accumulates on the cables, wires, etc. The Simplicity has a metal cover that protects many of these items from exposure.

The only positives I can think of are 1) Price 2) Heated Grips and 3) the paddles to release the drive for easier turning.

Unfortunately, the negatives far outweigh the positives, and for that reason I cannot recommend this machine; especially if you live in a region that gets a lot of snow. I live in New England and will be selling this and upgrading next year. I shouldn't have to wrestle with a machine to get it to do its job. I'm getting too old for that! YMMV

1.0 out of 5 stars Poorly made, January 4, 2014
This review is from: Troy-Bilt StormTM 3090 XP Snow Thrower
Auger drive box is toast. Small branch jammed the augers. Shear pins did not function. Gear box stripped. Saw several reviews on other sites saying the same. Found a YouTube video giving instructions on how to repair this damage. Damage that should not occur if the fail safe shear pins work. Replacement assembly $260. Purchase the gears, $200. That does not account for labor or my time if I choose to do it myself. $1300 not used last year, no significant snow. This year used once and down! I contacted Lowes, they said I would get a call back in 48 hours. Been 5 days. Emailed Troy Built, no response. I did not see this type of review prior to purchase. My recommendation is find something else.

Troy-Bilt StormTM 3090 XP Snow Thrower