Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Troy-Bilt TB10CS 17-Inch 31cc 2-Cycle Gas Powered Curve Shaft String Trimmer
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Drowners Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

on May 24, 2005
I purchased this trimmer to replace my electric trimmer that was falling apart. The directions are straight-forward, and assembly was simple. Starting the trimmer for the first time took several tries, but eventually fired right up.

Moving from an electric trimmer to a gas trimmer is quite a change. The Troy-Bilt has dual-trimmer ends, and rotates much faster. It weighs quite a bit more than the electric, naturally, which is really the only downfall, outside of the edge guide. The edge guide is a bit awkward, since it is a rotating wheel. It is a bit bulky and makes it hard to judge the true length of the strings.

Overall, especially for the price, you can't beat this trimmer. I would recommend it to anyone with a moderate sized yard.
on March 23, 2009
I bought one of these after my long time John Deere (Homelight rebranded) Trimmer had finally given up the ghost.

First: I do not have a huge lot nor do I have a lot of heavy grass to contend with. My yard is pretty much the same as most suburban people and it requires a lot of weekly manicuring to keep up.

This unit had a lot of difficulty in starting. You should only have to give a unit 3 pulls, with the choke on and properly primed, to start it. Right out of the box, it would start then quit. Start, then quit. Once it finally did warm up the trimmer never seemed to rev up to full speed as if it was starving for fuel. Flipping the trimmer upside down to edge the lawn (something a trimmer must be able to do) would most certainly starve the trimmer and quit. This system has a horrible fuel delivery design and can't even perform the basic needs of a trimmer.

The rock guard, or whatever you want to call it, is too small. When trimming, this thing will blow stuff all over you! I don't know why they even put the rock guard on because I got beaten up every time I used it!

I gave this thing the benefit of the doubt based on price but after 30 days I just couldn't take it anymore. If it has difficulty starting, can't edge because it starves out for fuel and the rock guard won't protect the operator from flying debris then it just becomes a miserable experience to use. I took it back and got a full refund without any questions.
on September 18, 2005
I found this trimmer to be very easy to start,however the weight balance of the unit seems to be difficult to distribute the weight forward thus making it easier to hold the unit.I got a little arm weary after about 15 mins.
on October 4, 2009
This is my first experience with a trimmer so my expectations may/may not be realistic. That said I decided on this Troy unit after skipping on another brand model that was significantly cheaper but had a history of starting issues. I decided to pay a little more for the Troy and not have to deal with starting problems.

Assembly was very easy and the instruction manual was simple and easy to follow. I've only used this trimmer about 3 or 4 times so far, but it starts consistently if you follow the instructions. Cold, it takes about 5-6 light pulls, 5 under full choke and 1 under half choke. It has a spring loaded pull assist so you don't have to pull very hard. After use when the engine is still hot you need to let it idle for a minute or two before you shut it off since it is air cooled. I did not know this so first time trimmer buyers should keep this in mind.

This model has good power and high rpm at full throttle and is able to cut thick 1/4" weeds without bogging down. Half throttle is enough for normal grass and weeds. The bump line release mechansim is nice and very convenient allowing you to release more line without having to manually grab the line holder.

This model is kinda heavy for my liking but not too bad. Balance can be adjusted by moving the D handle up/down the shaft. The trimmer vibrates quite a bit too when it's idling which is kind of annoying since I did not expect this. I dont know if this is common with these types of trimmers or not. One important thing to note is that the guard doesn't completely protect you from debris. It is common to have dirt, grass, weeds and rocks be kicked up and hit you on your legs and even face so make sure you wear eye protection.

At the time I purchased this I was not aware of other lighter models that were reliable, but it seems the Poulan 25cc model may be a better buy.

UPDATE: It's been 10 months now and I've used it over a dozen times and it still starts the same as when it was new. I still haven't yet cleaned the air filter either. I've had zero issue with the line feed system and it's still running on the original spool. Also accidently left it outside in the rain overnight and it still runs and starts like normal.
on April 26, 2013
Troy-Bilt is a very good manufacturer of all lawn equipment. I had purchased a push mower previous to buying this item. Both just had their first tune ups after three solid years of performance. Simple plug changes and some filter cleaning and changing and the oil changes of course. Not sure why this item only gets three stars. It has never failed to start for me until just recently when it needed a new spark plug. Once replaced it fired up perfectly as usual. You can pay more for other trimmers by not sure why you would.

Quick update....I just noticed this item is more expensive than when I purchased it. I got it for $109.00 and free shipping. At the current $151.00 it's still a solid buy in my opinion, just watch for sales on the item and maybe you can make out like I did.
on June 7, 2012
I thought it was a decent trimmer until I went to start it up the other day. It has completely stopped working after only a handful of uses. I feel conned. I can't believe that it didn't even last one year. I would NEVER recommend this product. It's a cheap piece of garbage. My dad bought one last year, and his is doing the same thing. Troy Bilt should be ashamed!
on May 20, 2009
I purchased this unit to trim native grass and weeds in my yard. The unit started right out of the box, ran well, and did a fine job. I am extremely pleased with my purchase. Furthermore, Amazon.com does it well, delivers quickly and on time.
on July 16, 2012
This weed eater is a piece of JUNK. Do not buy this PLEASE listen to the reviews that give this thing one star. Ive had the starting cord break twice on me and Troy Bilts customer service is by far the most inept and usless customer service ever. After calling the first time and telling them the cord broke, they would not take the product back even though it was under warranty. They told me to take it to an authorized repair shop. This turned out to be a fiasco in itself because not a single authorized repair shop would work on it because in thier words "troy bilt is too hard to work on" so I went about reparing it myself. Well i found out real fast why the repair shops wouldnt work on it. Its not worth their time. It took over 2 days to finally get the cord reparied. When I went to use it again, the cord snapped in two once more. Its in my dumpster, DO NOT BUY THIS EVER!!! Oh and I must mention the first time the cord broke I had only used the weed eater 3 times up to that point!!! Please listen people. PIECE OF JUNK!!!!
on March 16, 2014
After a few months, started breaking down, taking forever to start, hours of work to replace string (not made to be worked on, but thrown out). Fuel lines go into the tank, so cost 50 bucks to replace whole tank instead of 50 cent lines, have over a hundred hours repair time for about 10hours work. Anybody want to buy some parts, have tiller attatchment, extended pole saw, new tank, etc. etc.?
on May 24, 2013
This weed eater is simply a tool that will last you about 3 months... After that you will have problems starting and keeping this thing running. I purchased a 2nd unit after mine would not start after 3 months. Well, it took about 6 months for this one to do the same. I used clean fuel, mixed proper ratios, and generally took good care of this. I bought am Echo and folks, I can't say enough good things about the Echo. DO NOT waste your money. Bad design, bad construction, poor performance... Be warned.