5.0 out of 5 stars Sucked the shoes off my feet
Published on February 24, 2006 by S. Peterson

1.0 out of 5 stars TB125QS motor burned up the first time used
I purchased the Troy-Bilt TB125QS Electric Blower directly from Troy-Bilt's website.

Received package from UPS last night, put it together and couldn't wait to get outside today and get busy vac/mulching the leaves. The directions were read from cover to cover before using to ensure proper usage.

Fired up immediately and I used the Vac mode first...
Published on November 18, 2006 by T. Treadway

5.0 out of 5 stars Sucked the shoes off my feet, February 24, 2006
This review is from: Troy-Bilt TB125QS Mulchinator 12 amp 157 mph Electric Blower/Vacuum (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Lawn & Patio)
I tend to over-research everything I purchase. I also tend to trust the opinions of major consumer testing groups such as Consumer Reports. The top rated blower is a model from Toro. The Toro requires you switch tubes when going from vac to blow. I owned this model for 4 months but became so frustrated with it I'm giving it away. It just didn't blow and it didn't vac. I instead tried to find a model similar to my old Ryobi which is no longer made. I found this Troy-Bilt and thought I would give it a try. I spent the day in the yard today and could not believe how well this Troy-Bilt works. It just about sucked the shoes off my feet. I've never seen suction like this on a blower. Using it in blow mode required a simple switch of a lever. It even comes with a fantastic attachment making it a breeze (pun intended) to vacuum flat surfaces. You will not be disappointed with this model. For those of you missing the old Ryobi, the zipper on the bag of the Troy-Bilt has been redesigned so it will not split open like the Ryobi tended to do. The blades are made of a dense plastic. The blades are short and thick. I use this on vac once a week. Many an odd object has been sucked up without even placing a discernable nick on the blades. I could not be happier with the Troy-bilt and will be a bit more cautious with Consumer Reports in the future.

1.0 out of 5 stars TB125QS motor burned up the first time used, November 18, 2006

Fired up immediately and I used the Vac mode first for a few minutes and it was fantastic on clearing stuff out of the garage. I'm 5'4" and was pleased at how easy it is to manuever the TB125QS using the shoulder strap for added support.

Moved into the back yard to begin the leaf vac/mulching with dry leaves. Picked up two bags worth in just a few minutes and experienced no problems in removing the bag from machine to empty. Everything working great and I'm thinking this is what I've been missing for the last 5 years of my life! Just too good to be true.

Turned it on once again to begin a third bag of leaf removal and within seconds the motor smelled hot and it started smoking from both vents. Switched off the power and unplugged for half an hour. Went back to check it out again and...nothing - dead unit.

Telephoned Troy-Bilt's toll-free number and was told to take it to a local dealer, which was provided by inputting my zip code. Telephoned the local dealer and after explaining situation he told me the motor had burned up and to return it directly to Troy-Bilt. After much discussion he has agreed to allow me to bring it in Monday morning and they will start paperwork to get a replacement. He doesn't have one on-hand and will have to wait 7-10 business days for a replacement to arrive.

Not so impressed with model at this point. Only hope I can update review once new unit arrives and the experience ends much better.

1.0 out of 5 stars Just out of the box; now a molten lump of plastic in my driveway., December 16, 2006
a reader (Berkeley, CA) - See all my reviews
I just used this blower for the first (and last) time. After 20 minutes and three bags full, the motor burst into flames.

One of the features I look for in outdoor equipment is not-bursting-into-flames. So it'd be fair to say that I'm a little disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use Blower/Vac, January 3, 2007
Dave (Franklin, TN) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This is a 5 star product for use in smaller places where you want to clean up leaves etc. I have a patio which is almost totally surrounded by a 28" double brick wall containing plants. This blower/vac makes it a very simple operation to blow all the leaves in one corner then with a turn of a lever, vacuum them into the supplied zipper bag. The vacuum operation grinds the leaves so finely that I believe the 10:1 reduction claim made by the manufacturer. The unit is relatively powerful while being light and easy to handle and the simple lever switch from blower to vacuum is a big time saver. I do not recommend this blower/vac for larger lawns because it is not as convenient as a gas powered blower due to the restrictions of the electric cord.

Update: August 2009

After quite a bit of use, the zipper broke on the pickup bag. I contacted the manufacturer and they promptly send me a new bag. However this bag was sigificantly smaller than the one I had. Obviously, the smaller bag held less than the larger one and resulted in more time spent emptying bags than before. I think the smaller bag essentially makes the tool less functional. I do not know what bag they are shipping with the current model but what ever bag it is, I suggest you be very carefull about over filling the bag as it will place undo stress on the zipper.

5.0 out of 5 stars Troy vilt Vac-blower, November 3, 2006
C. Jarrett (Alamo, California) - See all my reviews
I love this blower! It is so easy to switch from blowing leaves to picking them up that it saves a great deal of time and hastle. I feel it is reasonably priced as compared to similar hand held blowers. The main reason I bought it was for the feature allowing me to change from vac to blow with a simple lever action. Even for a small woman, I found it easy to use and easy to empty the bag. The vacumn attachment with wheels makes it easy to vacumn the patio and deck area. I highly recommend it!

1.0 out of 5 stars Up in smoke, September 1, 2006
This seemed like a fantastic item but when I received it, it began sparking and when I turned it off it smoked and smoked. I tried to start it up repeatedly with the same outcome. Pretty disappointed with this purchase and returned for a refund.

Instead of refunding, they sent me another which after a few weeks burned up as well. Will be returning for a refund.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ease of operation, August 18, 2006
This is the 2nd of these units that I've puchased. I purchased the 1st unit when it was made by Ryobi, and I used it quite frequently. I was extremely disappointed when that unit was no longer operational. Needless to say I was happy to see that Troy-Bilt took over the production of this unit. This blower/vac is by far the best of all of the blower/vacs out on the market. The ease in which you can flip from blower to vacuum mode is awesome. Also, the size of the blower/vac tube is of a larger diameter then the others, which makes it a lot easier to vacuum up leaves. People have complained about the zipper on the bag of the old ryobi's, and I also had my share of zipper problems. When the zipper on my original bag didn't work, I like others order a replacement bag, which the material was of an inferior quality than the original, as well as having the same zipper problem. To fix this problem I basically, went to a upholstery shop in my area, and purchased a heavy duty zipper, and replaced the zipper on my original bag with this new zipper. Since then, I have had no problems. Matter of fact, I am still using my old Ryobi modified zipper bag with the new Troy-bilt unit that I recently purchased.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great Blower/VAC, not so great bag, December 14, 2007
The blower/vac unit itself is the best i have ever used. it has plenty of power, it will suck up and shred anything from large pinecones to clumps of frozen leaves.

the problem is the bag. it lasts for 10 uses or so, but then the cheap plastic zipper fails and the bag is useless. troy-bilt customer service sent me 3 free bags after i complained. the bags they sent me have a nice long zipper (like in the picture on this web page). they lasted about a year total. when i went to buy a new bag i got the original bag that has the short zipper. it lasted a day. now troy-bilt says thats the only bag. and each bag costs $38 with the shipping.

if you are going to use the vac feature, this is not the unit you want. i'm shopping for something else

update: I have noticed that this blower (which is sold in lowes) comes with a DIFFERENT bag than the one you get when you go to buy a replacement. Dont be fooled, the replacement bag will last you a daya before the zipper splits and renders the bag useless.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good option to discontinued Ryobi RSV1300, November 10, 2006
D. Herbert (Henderson, NV USA) - See all my reviews
I was disappointed when my Ryobi RSV1300 blower/vac died and found that the model had been discontinued. Most of these blower/vac combinations require partial disassembly and attachment of another part to change from one mode to the other. The Ryobi merely required the moving of a lever, as this model Troy-Bilt does. A search on the web discovered this model. I had seen Troy-Bilt yard equipment at Lowe's, but had never owner their product. I ordered it online and was pleaseantly surprised when it arrived and I was able to take it for a test drive. I use the vacuum mostly to pick up light leaves and other debris from our pool deck, walkways, driveway, and from amongst the decorative rock in our planters. And the blower is used in the same areas. The unit has two speeds. Low and high. The low setting is perfect for picking up leaves out of the rock without picking up the rock. I find the high setting in both vacuum and blow modes to be more than adequate for moving small to medium sized debris. Large, wet leaves might require more power, but I have not found the need for more. I would recommend this unit to any homeowner with needs similar to mine.

5.0 out of 5 stars It Blew My Mind, July 4, 2006
I was very relieved to receive and find that my new Troy-Bilt TB125QS Electric Blower was everything it was advertised to be. I have had other brands before and hated them all when doing the vacuum mode. With the Troy-Bilt there is no removing stuff, just flick the lever and it goes from blow to vacuum. the bag is also much easier to pop off and empty than my past ones which had velcro ties to undo and redo and the bags would fall off while I was vacuuming. It is not rated as high as Toro and some others for wind speed, but maybe Troy-Bilt just cheat the ratings. It is very very strong blowing and very good picking up. It also has a cute little floor attachment. A couple stars higher than any other out there.

Rate and Discover Movies