Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Disney Infinity 3.0 Big Savings in the Amazon Fall Sportsman Event Deal of the Day Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Andra Day Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Shop Popular Services tmnt tmnt tmnt

on June 4, 2012
The True Back device will not perform miracles but it will help to stretch your back. I am 43 year old, 6'4", and 200 pounds (male). I exercise regularly but have poor posture and occasional back pain. The True Back device gives me a nice stretch and I feel as though it is combatting my slouch and helping to straighten my spine. I have used it once or twice daily for several weeks and I am able to stretch much further now than I could originally. I usually get a nice "crack" after a few minutes that I feel is a helpful adjustment. I use it without the pads for 5-6 minutes morning and evening most days. I have been slouching for too many years to expect this device to fix me instantly but I believe it is helping.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I'm 55 years old, 5"9" and 160 lbs, in good shape but tend to work at the computer for too long. My wife bought this True Back on the recommendation of a relative, and we both like it. We watched the very short DVD several times to be sure we were "doing it right." (It could be more helpful--we had never used or seen a stretcher before.)
In a nutshell, we are both satisfied with the stretch.
Downsides: relatively large and heavy, making it harder to pick up and store. Also it is a bit long for us, so our heads rest on the hard ends of the stretcher and we need a washcloth or similar for padding. I like the high end under the base of my spine, my wife prefers it under her neck.
It is not "comfortable," but I think the hard protrusions with their nubs (esp. without the foam rubber in) are designed not only to grip one's back, but also to poke in and force one to relax one's muscles.
Fast forward a couple of months: I decided to purchase a second stretcher for another location, and saw that there are several models. I decided to try the North American Healthcare back stretcher, since it was smaller, lighter and looked more comfortable, and was less than 1/3 the price. I am also quite satisfied with it, although it does not give as strong a stretch. I tend to use it more because it is more convenient and not as uncomfortable. (You need to lie on the True Back a little longer in order to relax, and I sometimes feel dizzy by the time I get up.)
The True Back's DVD says to do several stretches a day up to 10 mins. each. I tend to do more shorter stretches on the North American when I am at that location.
If we decide to get a third one, we'll probably try the StretchMate Orthopedic Back Stretcher, since it appears to be intermediate in design and price. Although the True Back gives a strong stretch, it seems to me hard to justify the its steep price for a hard plastic molded device, unless they are trying to recoup development costs. The DVD could be more informative (what are the principles behind the design? How does one's spine reshape after regular use?), but at least it gives some guidelines, which the North American did not have at all.
on January 21, 2014
I have or had sciatica :) and my ex-chiropractors did nothing for me beyond minor adjustments the past decade. I quit going to 'em a bout a year ago and was stooped over the past 2 1/2 years. Everything ached. I tried the Trueback on a chair first, and then I laid it on a bed and covered it with a fleece blanket while wearing a heavy fleece sweatshirt. I meditate almost every day with pillows under my back and thighs. Much of my lower body was numb, and cramped/knotted. Meditation was really painful at times.

But I couldn't reach my lower back or the numbed areas. I got up after about ten minutes or so on this thing piece of plastic. The lower back pain was gone. My initial thought was that I was numbed by this simple product. The next day I woke up and felt some pains back there, but they were new sensations. I was feeling other pains/ cramps/strains that I was not aware of before.

Many things have relaxed over the past couple of weeks. My ankles freed up and my calves are now pain free. Lately I've been releasing many years of pent up pains in the L/R front and rear of my rib cage. It hurts like hell, but now I'm feeling sensations in my internal organs (intestines, groin, kidneys, etc..)

Don't expect positive results from Trueback if you're gonna quit due to pain or boredom. It's not for everyone.

It's one of the best things I've ever purchased. Try it and return it or sell it if you're not satisfied.
on February 26, 2014
I'm six feet, 180. Don't have any medical issues, just bad posture and enjoy a good stretch.

I have used a different type/brand of lumbar device in the past, and I enjoyed that one, so I purchased this one thinking they were probably similar. They were not.

There are good reviews here, so I gave the True Back a whirl.

Personally I think the device is too large, and too hard. The foam pads don't stay attached so your always picking them up with the device. The instructions don't exist so you will have to YouTube it to see how to correctly use it (which way it goes - which end is up). There is a sticker on the side that says never use it the wrong way, and then doesn't say which way is up.

And again, it's just harder than it needs to be. I wouldn't mind paying a few bucks more for something that didn't hurt.

There are a couple little irking things that I just don't like about this Track device.
on June 28, 2014
This is a good device for stretching your back and it must align something. When you first try it you will probably think it isn't going to do anything. I used it for two weeks every day and I notice that my back does not hurt as much as it used too. Whenever I trimmed the lawn my back would ache. I have an hours worth of trimming and about half way through I would have to stop and take a break due to back pain. The last time I trimmed the lawn my back did not ache at all. It will take a week or so laying on it at least once a day to get used to the stretch it provides.

The hardest part is getting off the device when you are finished. You need to roll to the side and once you do this you will feel the back muscles ache as you come out of the stretch but it is only temporary. Give it 20 seconds and the ache should leave.

I like to lay with the high curved end toward my lower back to give me a much better stretch. The low end is too easy on my lower back and I don't feel as much of a stretch. I give the device 4 stars because I feel the price is way too much for something this simple.
on July 23, 2013
It works but you must be careful using it. Use as directed. A little pricey for just some plastic but serves the purpose. Still prefer my inversion table.
on September 26, 2013
I’m a ‘lower back’ guy – when my back goes, it’s my lower back, and it SUCKS. However, I generally know when my back is going to go out – always related to some rigorous activity, exercise, or other scenario that tweaks my lower back. A co-worker noted that her husband has similar issues and that True Back has been the only solution that has provided sure-fire relief. Without further discussion I ordered my True Back, which arrived a week ago, and had been using it regularly (2 – 3 times / day, 2-3 minutes a time). My back feels great, but I honestly couldn't say it had anything to do with the device.

Until yesterday. I live in Boulder, Colorado and volunteered for a flood-cleanup activity for our Open Space program. It entailed removing a huge amount of debris from a run-off in a popular hiking area – shoveling a massive amount of dirt and mud, removing branches, moving huge rocks, and moving a few big trees that piled up in the wrong place. While I was shoveling I felt it – this is going to hurt. Bad. It was exactly the kind of pain that would lay me up for at 3 days minimum, a week or more worst case. When I got home, I immediately ‘treated’ my lower back with True Back. I probably used the device 3 times for 2-3 minutes at a time. Under normal circumstances, last night would have been a painful nightmare – my lower back always seizes up during the night when I tweak it with this kind of hard labor. But, like magic, I slept like a baby and woke up with no lower back pain. None. I am absolutely amazed, and have nothing to attribute this to but True Back. Awesome. Seriously, I am amazed at how effective this device is at eliminating what would have been a week of hobbling around, muttering like a deranged hermit.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
It makes my back hurt, I cannot even relax long enough to know if it is doing anything. I hoped that I could skip some of my chiropractic visits, but I am sorry to say: it didn't work out. I didn't return it, probably out of laziness.

Update: I left this device untouched. Then I read the instructions and put the foam inserts back. Since then I've been using it several times a day, and I love it.

I stand corrected
on May 28, 2015
I am a hardcore Amazon purchaser. I use reviews to make buying decisions and hope this favorable but completely honest review leads to a life changing result for you as it has done for me. My shaving cream detector is as skeptical as they come in the pain management space I hope I pass whatever test you use to decipher honest feedback vs. engineered bs. I further hope that my 3 week timetable which included getting up off my ass-pect ratio and doing some physical therapy while following the rather shallow instruction manual is enough time for me to laud the true results of my experience with TrueBack credibly. I have no financial interest in this product nor do I have a relationship with True Back's management team. I just wanted to share my story and gratitude. The Executive Summary is "dramatic pain reduction fast without pills"

Ok ...and to be both selfish and honest I hope the True Back marketing team will read this story and turn me into the Jerrod of lower back pain issues resolved with True Back.

My experience with pain management includes me (today) canceling a radio frequency nerve ablation tomorrow for which I proved to be a very good candidate because of my degenerative facet joint arthritis and low disk height in my lower back. TMI I know. But my symptoms have mellowed to the point that stretching by True back, medication and physical therapy have significantly addressed my issues, the latter two of which making the most significant difference. I don't need this risky procedure now and (this should be familiar) multiple conflicting doctors' medical advice clouding my judgement about what's next treatment wis. Nothing I'm doing is a cure, so TrueBack MUST be accompanied by a lifestyle change to maximize benefit .

But if you are suffering long term pain, then you understand how things can change or improve with subtle adjustments I know what pain does to your mood. You contemplate things you would NEVER carry out in a normal state. So for me, TrueBack lowered my symptoms to the point where at least I could function despite still relying on a handful of pills, and with a much better outlook on my life.

If you are still reading this, then you are likely in pain, and people pretend to react sympathetically but no one truly understands. Different solutions tend to work for different people, but it just so happens my True Back relieved my symptoms to the point where I turned out ok as a living, breathing, crying cliche of endorsement mush. If you are similarly wired, we need to act fast! Ha Ha Ha.

I cannot tell you how many times I've bought various devices claiming to relieve lower back pain. For me, this one coupled with lower back centric exercise, seems to have done the trick. I'm 10 years and probably $100k deep into managing this issue, with risky procedures (part of which left me paralyzed in the right leg for 24 hours a couple years back) dotting the timeline and results. trueBack is not a cure all but a treatment that has relieved symptoms dramatically and let me live my life.

Mike

pS Ok so there's my review. True Back and any parent companies or subsidiaries need my permission before attributing my name and comments in advertising to the miraculous symptom relief I've recently experienced. My medical condition may be different from readers and customers here, and I'm in no way licensed to give medical advice. Everyone's different so any collection and distribution of comments, study data or analysis should not be acted upon without input from your physician or marketed without my permission

Sorry about cya bs. It sounds ridiculous as I proof it. but I'm so happy about no longer suffering, I don't mid being an infomercial cliche
on March 22, 2014
I have had chronic pain since 2011 in my cervical/thoracic spine and myofascia following a rollover accident where my truck flipped on black ice in the winter. I am 23 years old and refuse to take narcotics because I would rather be in pain than be addicted to pain medications for the rest of my life, so I have spent the last few years trying to find other solutions to keep pain manageable and knock it down when it flares up. I have found the true back to be really useful alleviating the pressure and pain of pinched nerves in the thoracic spine, particularly those that are impossible to stretch or "pop" free. I try to use it daily and sometimes several times a day in response to fluctuations in pain level. I have found this to be one of the better solutions to the thoracic spine pain and stiffness that I have encountered thus far, and by using this in combination with NSAIDs (celebrex), tylenol, heat, ice, daily exercise, the spineworx (similar device, but works more on lateral alignment than vertical compression), and an arc4life cervical neck pillow I have found a regimen to keep the pain to a dull roar and go about my day in spite of it. It is not a cure all for me, but it is very helpful in concert with the other approaches I have taken and I am very happy to have spent the money on it. Hurts to use at first but focusing on proper form and correct usage of the true back has given me another tool to use against the pain when it is too much to be ignored.