Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon David Bowie egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Get Ready for the Winter Martha Stewart American Made Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals BestoftheYear Outdoors Gift Guide on HTL

on August 25, 2014
First of all, this is not like any season of True Blood you've ever watched before. I've been watching since way back when season one aired and have watched every season at least two or three times. Like many of you, I've always found myself enthralled by the tight plots, dynamic characters, and sharp dialogue. Season 7 was incredibly different than ones from the past... But that's not necessarily a bad thing.

I think the reason that season 7 is so different is because it is heavily character driven, whereas the previous seasons have been more plot driven. True Blood season 7 (TB7) really digs deep into our favorite characters' inner psyches and fleshes out how they have grown and changed throughout the years. Due to this more character-oriented storyline, a lot of the action seen in past seasons is lost, replaced with more dialogue, character development, and personal reflection. I know this upset some fans (I myself was a bit perturbed by it at times), but, looking back at the series as a whole, this direction was truly needed to end the show without cheapening the characters.

In a nutshell, the theme of TB7 is mortality; not even the vampires have a sense of immortality anymore, due to the devastating Hepatitis V virus. The characters really have to come to terms with the fact that every moment could be their last. This approach sort of takes away from the allure and appeal of vampires as they are in pop culture, but it injects the mood of the show with a sense of urgency and humanity that is very touching and humbling to the characters.

Unfortunately, for a lot of TV series, much of the judgement placed on the series as a whole is based on that show's finale instead of the sum of its parts. I believe that this is a cycle that automatically sets finales up for failure. Looking at the series as a whole, I believe that TB7 gave us a satisfying ending. Notice, I said "satisfying," not "spectacular" or "terrible." It's impossible to end a show like True Blood and please everybody. It just can't be done. I do think the writers did the best job they could have done and created an ending that was palatable. Would it have been fun to see a little more risk or for the writers to pull a complete 180 on us? Yes, maybe, but based on the direction True Blood has been going, it would have felt inauthentic. When I looked at the ending for what it was, instead of what I wanted, I found myself to be very happy with it.

This was a very hard season to review; I've had so much history with this show and have been so emotionally invested into it that I felt I was going to be very biased with my writing. After reading over this review a few times, I believe I can say that it is a pretty accurate depiction of TB7. If you're a longtime fan as well, I encourage you to watch TB7 and make your own judgements. If you're new to the True Blood franchise, I implore you to begin the series immediately; I don't believe any other show has brought me more joy or thrills... And for that, I say "Thank You," True Blood.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 20, 2014

When Alan Ball left after Season 5, I remained optimistic that the show would still be entertaining and full of my favorite characters. Season 6 was enjoyable, and then came this. What a *huge* let down. I have every single season on DVD, but I will never buy this one. I never want to watch it again. It was boring, they killed characters off for no reason that made sense to the plot. What made it worse was the writers spent all this time on new characters and unimportant side characters. I didn't care about Adilyn and Wade's story or Tara's mom. They retconned several things (for one, Tara's mom had an affair with Rev Daniels, that is how they began, but they rewrote their relationship as being some pure, romantic, sweet thing).

I have always been an Eric fan, but I also liked Bill. By the end, I wanted to scream, just die already! They made this last season so full of insufferable angst, it was painful to watch. They squandered Lafayette. They squandered Willa, who had the potential to be an interesting character as Eric's new progeny from last season.

I like Hoyt and all, but he and Jessica did not make sense anymore. Jessica did *not* want to be with him anymore when he originally left and suddenly, it's all romance and marriage?! Talk about throwing something together. And then Bridget and Jason being thrown together. No, that is bad writing.

There was *so* much bad writing this last season. All the stuff in the beginning with the Bon Temps vigilante group and the hep-v vampires... it seemed like such a waste of precious screen time.

They did a *horrible* job of bringing Sookie and Bill to a resolution. It wasn't romantic.

I'm glad Eric and Pam got a happy-ever-after. They are my favorites. I've always liked Andy and Holly and was glad to see the development of Andy's character over the seasons. He is one of the best reasons to watch. Jason is another favorite, but unfortunately, he seemed to regress back to the early days, but I guess that was the easy way to get him with Bridget. *such lazy writing*

They wasted use of a great actor this season with Sam Trammell, but I was at least happy his character Sam escaped Bon Temps because that place ended up looking so unappealing. I can't imagine why anyone would ever want to stay there. There are so many other things I could say about how lacking this season was. One of the worst series-enders ever (through no fault of the actors by any means).

There were some highlights (seeing some old favorites show up for one last time, seeing more of Ginger, flashbacks, a sexy Jason/Eric scene, to name a few).

I can not believe they killed Tara off-screen. They revitalized her character by making her a vampire only to kill her off-screen and then let her horrible mother live and take up all this screen time with a story that didn't even mean anything or go anywhere - Tara with snakes on a cross -what?! (Adina Porter is a fine actress, so I don't hold her accountable, it's the writers who failed here. They had the perfect opportunity to have vampire Tara heal her relationship with her mother, but instead they went for a cheap shock and killed Tara off in the first scene of the season and had her mom become a V-addict to hallucinate her way to a resolution and forgiveness from a ghost Tara.) #eyeroll

Alcide dies from a random bullet? Are you kidding me? They never did his character right on that show, esp. starting last season when he started eating human college students? That was bizarre. Alcide would never do that.

I do highly recommend this show, but only through season 6. They ended this show about as bad as the books. What a HUGE let-down both have been.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 23, 2014
Spoilers For Sure
Imagine you had a favorite pair of jeans. You loved them so much but they became tattered (and not in a good way). You tried to sew them but the best you could do is put patches on them, ugly patches. These were still your jeans but not the same. This is how I see how the writers botched up our beloved series. They kept putting ugly patches on True Blood. It was still recognized as True Blood but a horrible version.
After barely keeping up with Season 6, I watched Season 7 as a chore I felt I had to do. Surprisingly, I liked the first few episodes and then it all fell apart. Why did we have to go back to Taraville? Who cares about the Reverend or Tara's mother? Wasn't their story all sewn up? Why was so much time spent on Jessica and Hoyt? Jason? Snore. Sara Newlin? Double snore. I give this review three stars because I still enjoyed the wonderful humorous dialogue of Pam. Don't expect not to be disappointed. If it was still a great series, I would be very sad that it ended but considering the way it went, it deserved the true death!
on November 26, 2014
Format: DVD Verified Purchase
"We called the final episode `Thank You' as a thank you to the fans who have stuck by us" said showrunner Bill Buckner.

They might as well have called it "F**K You", because after 7 years I think the fans deserved something better than this. A new season of "True Blood" was a big annual event in our household - we ordered the boxed set, invited friends round, made southern chicken and a red velvet cake and mainlined the series over the weekend.

Season 7 was not worth the effort involved in watching it.

First, the lazy, lazy writing. Major plotlines were just abandoned mid series (attack of the hep-Vs). This was ten episodes of "what shall we do with each of the characters?". It became a guessing game of who was going to buy it/get hitched in each episode. We had characters back for the sake of it with absolutely nothing to contribute (much as I love Rutger Haeur his presence was completely pointless) A lot of the endings felt forced and as far as the main one went (trying not to spoil it for those unfortunate enough to still have the experience to come) - I've never seen such an unheroic, low key and useless disposal of a major character. The screamingly dull Tara/Mother stuff from Season One which was resolved in Season Six came back yet again to haunt us for no reason and a lot of time was spent on the fate of a couple of teenagers I couldn't have cared less about.

Second the special effects. There is a scene with Jason and Sam in a car that is so obviously stationary with a film of moving road playing in the background that its embarassing. Was there no money for post production? Or did they just not care?

Third the extras on this series consist of a brief feature talking to main cast players - that's it. No other extras other than audio commentary which would involve watching it again - not something I'm prepared to do. I'd have thought the least they could do would have been to make the extras special given that it was the last series. It gives the impression that they rushed this out so they could grab your money in time for Christmas.

As a fan, I guess you have to see it for completeness. However it is not recommended in any way whatsoever
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 25, 2014
​I used to love True Blood, it was definitely my favorite show. But this season/finale was one of worst ever. I'll get this one day to complete my collection, but not until its in the sales bin.
on May 20, 2015
The final season was an utter disappointment. A storyline that should never have happened was built up only to be resolved within minutes with a simple decision. When the storyline started, most were "eh?" because the characters should have resolved it before it even started. Bill's dilemma and decision made no sense as his actions and beliefs with others contradicted what he wanted. It was just bad. For those of us who have been watching the series, we were going to watch this garbage to the end. Honestly, I'm glad it's over. The t.v. world of Sookie went the same way as the books did. The first 4-5 books kicked tail and then it was obvious the pressures of pushing books out per Charlaine Harris' contract and her lack of creativity to continue with great storylines or a loss of interest was obvious. In this sense the series followed the books. Awesome to mediocre to bad to unbearable.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon January 7, 2015
I had a hard time liking this season. I don't want to post anything that would spoil anything for anyone who hasn't seen it yet. But, this should not have been the worst season. But it kind of was. I was pretty much just watching the show to find out what was going on with Eric, Pam, and Lafayette. Could not have possibly cared less about Bill and Sookie at this point. Charlaine Harris' ending (in my opinion) was infinitely better (even though it was not at all satisfying to me) than this.

The best part of this whole season were the scenes involving Ginger. I felt like after 7 seasons it was finally her time, and I guess the writers thought so too. The scene with her and Eric on the throne... I was biting my lips closed so I wouldn't wake up my child in the next room with laughing so hard.

So go ahead and vote my review as unhelpful simply because you disagree. Those are my thoughts on this rushed mess of a final season.
on November 9, 2014
Season 7 was like they gave up and most of the shows were filler. I have purchased season 1-6 on blu-ray and watched them all on HBO.
If this was season one the show would have been cancelled!!!!
on October 23, 2014

Well, almost. Nothing is worse than the Dexter series finale. But this is a close second.
on November 25, 2014
Like other reviewers, I have watched every other season of TB, several times, and with a few notable exceptions, the show has been highly entertaining and very well executed.

I will keep this brief. There are some ***SPOILERS***, and I hope the 'fast forward' button on my DVD remote has not been worn out from overuse during this finale season.

Frankly, I think the show could have just about ended at Season 6. Eric went up in a ball of flame on a snowy mountain, like some ancient god copping it big time. Every other character sort of knew where they were - in a bit of a mess, not coping terribly well, but with hope.

My thought is that Season 7 shows, if nothing else, just how much money HBO has to throw around at the moment.

I positively hated the clunky, corny flashbacks. I hated the complete change in tempo and story line. I almost dry-retched at the silly ending where everything is resolved like some Little Golden Book.

The entire season was ultra-camp bordering on the hysterical, and I do not mean 'funny'.

Previous seasons had complex plots, and I am not arguing that any character or sub plot was invalid because of the inclusion of a theme about particular sexual orientation. I am a very open-minded person. I thoroughly enjoyed previous seasons and Lafayette was one of my favorite characters who has some of the best lines in the entire series.

However, it just felt to me that the entire Season 7 of TB had been the result of some clumsy afternoon tea brainstorming sessions by a gaggle of over-emotional drag queens - I don't wish to offend anyone but that is the best way I can describe it.

I resented the way we were left hanging after season 6 as to whether Eric had bitten the dust - as just one example - but it was obvious he was going to come back in the final season, yet with no explanation as to how he survived his little mountaintop BBQ.

I could have done without the resolution of Jason's love life, including the return of Hoyt - who, in my opinion, should have been drained and left to rot much earlier. The reconciliation with Jessica was, frankly, preposterous.

The direction was clunky, the dialogue was draining, the anticipation was zero - I felt a strong urge to get glamoured myself so I could forget I'd ever wasted so many hours of my life.

I don't quite understand the process in Hollywood that could deliver such an unmitigated travesty compared to the previous seasons.

Serious viewers who appreciated the brave, risque, mind-bending and (let's be honest) brutality on show in previous seasons may walk away from this season wondering why, in terms of what was delivered, the classification (in Australia) should have been reduced from R (Restricted to 18 and over) probably to PG (Parental Guidance Required) or even G (General Viewing) - which is usually reserved for cartoons or Andre Rieu concerts.

I also get royally pissed off when leading actors are given the chance to direct an episode of any show - this is serious business, folks, and is not to be trifled with - let them hone their directing skills on someone else's treasured series! There, I've had my little rant.

Sorry, but I am yet to calm down about Season 7, although I am no longer hysterical. I'll have a Bloody Mary, thank you, and keep them coming.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse