5.0 out of 5 stars A True Romance That Kept Me Guessing
I don't often read contemporary romance, because I find it all terribly predictable. I'm glad, however, that I made an exception for True Colours.

Published on April 4, 2012 by Ms J. Travers

2.0 out of 5 stars Frusterating
I had to finish the book to see how it ended but I was so frustrated throughout. There were way too many, in my opinion, long, laborious details on surroundings and not enough on relationships. It took WAY too long for Sebastian and Alex to get together and then ended so abruptly. I was left very frustrated at the end.
Published 20 months ago by La la

5.0 out of 5 stars A True Romance That Kept Me Guessing, April 4, 2012
This review is from: True Colours: Can you ever forget your first love? (Kindle Edition)

Cleverly set in contemporary Ireland against a background of the complexities of Irish history (wealthy Anglo-Irish landowners and their relationships with ordinary Irish people) the book impressed me straight away with the author's obviously extensive background knowledge. Placed in this setting are a number of truly relateable characters, independent Alex Ryan, her father, her long-lost love Sebastian and his scheming family and fiancee.

The story of the long-thwarted love between Alex and Sebastian plays out against a subplot of lies and intrigue, danger and duplicity, and remains satisfyingly unresolved till the very end. By the denouement of the novel I was rooting for the utterly charming main characters without reservation.

The only complaint I have about this novel is that the end came far too soon!

4.0 out of 5 stars An emotional read, March 19, 2012
As teenagers, Alex and Sebastian were deeply in love, in spite of their class differences. Suddenly, Alex packed her things and left without even saying goodbye or telling Sebastian why she was leaving or where she was going. Now, 16 years later, she has returned. When she accidentally runs into him, sparks fly. He's angry and wants to know why she left so long ago. She wonders why he's engaged to a hateful, vapid woman who only cares about money and appearances. Circumstances throw them together, and the longer they spend together, the more they realize the love for each other never died after all. In fact, the smoldering embers soon threaten to consume them completely.

Their past is told in a series of flashbacks that allow the reader to see and feel the depth of Alex and Sebastian's love story. It was pretty easy to figure out why she left, but her explanation of the event fills in some of the gaps. My only problem was that the villains are too evil. Caroline (the fiancee) has absolutely no redeeming qualities, and Peter is portrayed as a complete sociopath. It might be more suspenseful if these characters were more well-rounded, if there was more than meets the eye to either of them.

What makes this so enjoyable, however, is the romantic tension between Sebastian and Alex. It begins with their first meeting, and only increases with each subsequent meeting. Overall, it's a really enjoyable romance with a bit of mystery.

5.0 out of 5 stars Un-put-down-able!, March 2, 2012
"I'll just read a little bit...", i told myself. But it was un-put-down-able! And I don't often read romance. Five hours later I reached The End. I do not recommend starting to read this if you should be doing something else. I will now be working Sunday instead! Gripping plot, great characters, wry humour and delicious detail. I can't wait for the sequel (there must be a sequel?).

5.0 out of 5 stars How modern romance SHOULD be done..., March 23, 2012
I recently waded through two parts of the 'Fifty Shades' trilogy, and the fact that I didn't purchase the third says a lot... Despite the thousands, if not millions, of good reviews, I was somewhat disillusioned with reading romance when I finished. To be honest I put it down to the fact that maybe being married with two children, I just wasn't 'getting it' (but seriously, two children aside, nobody, NOBODY is getting 'IT' that much...)

Well I 'got' True Colours and thank god, as it has restored my faith in the modern romantic novel. This is how romance should be written - the characters are sexy, interesting, independent, and believable and don't even start me on the setting... suffice to say that by the end of this book, I felt like I needed to air my clothes! I love books where the setting becomes almost another character, 'Manderlay' in Rebecca, 'Tara' in Gone with the Wind and now, in True Colours we have 'Kilfenora House' which can proudly stand shoulder to shoulder with the aforementioned greats.

I read this book on my iPhone Kindle and towards the end, I was trying to find reasons to sneak from the room as I voraciously leafed my way to the last page.

This book has got to have a sequel, it would be a shame if we never met these characters again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely, engaging, romance with a touch of suspense, May 22, 2012
JJulieJ (Sydney, Australia) - See all my reviews
When Alex returns to Ireland to expand her design business, she isn't expecting to find herself working for her first love, Sebastian. Not only to revamp his business headquarters, but to make over his apartment ready for his new bride-to-be, Caroline. Add in a fourth character bent on vengeance and you have a complex story which weaves romance and suspense into a coherent whole.

I love the setting and the characters, the grand Irish country estate, a hard-working executive from a wealthy background, the gamekeepers daughter turned top design whizz whose father has just had a serious accident, a brattish socialite who only knows how to shop, and a mysterious villain. They are almost larger than life and I found it very easy to lose myself in the plot. I could almost imagine myself in Alex's shoes and feel her pain. I wanted to slap Caroline for being such a selfish brat. And I almost fell in love with Sebastian myself.

As a bit of a foodie I did pick up one error - if there is chocolate fondant on the menu there is no way they could help themselves to dessert. Chocolate fondant must be served hot, straight out of the oven and the timing of this dish is critical.

Maybe the villains were a bit too nasty but they were colourful, and the romance was sweet. A lovely book to curl up with on a cold winter's night, or at the beach.

5.0 out of 5 stars True Colours- A Passionate journey you won't regret!, March 19, 2012
In True Colours you don't read the emotions but you live them- feeling Alex's exhaustion while driven by her hope and torn by her duty- Great stuff. It's engrossing as you want to keep with the pace of the plot's turns and surprises. I couldn't put it down and what better places are there for the book's settings (Ireland and Spain)! I would recommend anyone climb aboard this passionate journey - you won't regret it. Suerte!

2.0 out of 5 stars Frusterating, November 4, 2012

1.0 out of 5 stars True Colours, April 28, 2013
Sonia (Lansing, Illinois United States) - See all my reviews
I gave this story 1 star because I am giving the author recognition for a well-meaning, potentially good idea for a story. That said, it was a very poorly executed story. It is a terrible HEA; it has some potential as a crime story; however, no mystery crime story. This story reminded me of a soap opera; perhaps the author is in the wrong business?

This is a story about 2 h and 2 H; Alex and Sebastian and Caroline and Peter. The author gave both sets of character's equal weight and did a poor job of character and story development. The author made Alex, who is a successful business woman and Sebastian, who is a venture capitalist, unable to have a simple conversation about the reason why they broke up when they were teenagers. The author then spends the rest of the book with the h hinting at their relationship and angst, angst and more angst and displaced anger. To me, this did not invite reader investment in the character.

This author then spends approximately the entire book; 96% of the book, avoiding this conversation and spends 4 % of the book creating this conversation and an instantaneously HEA. Seriously? Really? In addition, the author spends approximately 1/3 of the book waxing on about interior design and architecture, blah, blah, blah....I was bored and skipped through many of her descriptions. Some description would be appropriate; however, this was overkill. This does not leave room for a thoughtful development of the characters, which allowed for reader investment into the story.

Now I see that the author is thinking about writing a sequel about Caroline and Peter. Does the author really believe that once reading about Caroline a cheating, vain, self-absorbed, egotistic, selfish character and Peter a potential psychopath, that a sequel would be enjoyable? I think this author needs to go back to drawing table and start all over again.

5.0 out of 5 stars True Colours, February 4, 2013
This is a very wholesome and clean romance story. Just like the description says, there is a hint of mystery in the story line. Not just in the present day but there is also a mystery that started 16 years ago. Alex Ryan and Sebastian Wingfield had a brief relationship 16 years ago, but for some reason Alex left without a word to anyone. Now she has come back home to Ireland for 2 reasons. Her father, who works for Sebastian, was in an accident, and Alex's design company was just hired by Sebastian's company to do some remodeling. So now that they are forced to spend time with each other, old feelings resurface and the truth finally comes out about why Alex left.

5.0 out of 5 stars True Colours, January 20, 2013
This is a story about two people who broke up and got back together again in the end. It was a good story.

Rate and Discover Movies