4.0 out of 5 stars Good album, even better remastered
In 1981 Steel Pulse was practically bankrupcy without any money at all.

They managed to get some free of charge studio time in a small recording studio in Denmark to make this album.

The result was one of their best albums of all time.

Now a better sounding remaster is out adding 4 new extended previously unavailable tracks to this...
Published on August 8, 2005 by Tom

3.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality vinyl.
Poor quality vinyl. Your better off buying the mp3/cd. Lots of skipping. Sounds more like a scratched CD than a quality piece of vinyl. Please don't get me wrong, one of my favorite Steel Pulse albums. Still a poor vinyl pressing.
Published 5 months ago by Eddie

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The last great one..., July 23, 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: True Democracy (Audio CD)
Yes I. Irie I. I have always felt that Pulse lost their way musically after the mid eighties, as did alot of reggae as there were a lot of changes in electronic music and so on,but this album is Pulse's high watermark before the tide turned back. Just for the dub version of Marcus Say(Rally Round)alone, which i remember as a youth, the cd is worth buying. Very tight, the best musical arrangers of reggae, no doubt.

5.0 out of 5 stars We need albums like this one, to have True Democracy., September 9, 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: True Democracy (Audio CD)
Needless to say this is the most inspiring album of Steel Pulse. It's just a matter of hearing the powerfull lyrics to know what Roots Reggae is all about. Besides having wonderful songs, what really stays in your mind is the message they bring to you, wether you are a Reggae fan or not. Sit down, relax and enjoy the journey. Jah Bless.

5.0 out of 5 stars CEE, August 29, 2009
This review is from: True Democracy (US Release) (MP3 Music)
THIS ALBUM IS A CLASSIC, PERIOD. IT IS AMONG THE BEST FIVE REGGAE ALBUMS OF ALL TIMES. BOB MARLEY USED TO SING SONGS FROM THIS GROUP ON HIS TOUR. NOW WHAT DOES THAT TELL YOU. IT'S A SHAME THAT THEY HAVEN'T ATTAIN THE SUCCESS (SELLING MORE ALBUMS) THEY DESERVE. GO GET THE ALBUM, YOU'RE MISSING OUT ON SOME EXCELLENT MUSIC.

5.0 out of 5 stars Favorite Reggae Album, March 25, 2003
This review is from: True Democracy (Audio CD)
This will be the third copy of this CD I have bought. My others have been lent out never to be returned - with good reason. I never get tired of this CD. Whenever I want to get into a good mood I put this on. The best of Steel Pulse for sure.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the Best Reggae Albums of all time, January 31, 2001
This review is from: True Democracy (Audio CD)
Steel Pulse mix excellent vocals and spectacular songwriting together. This album rivals anything that Bob Marley did. A must for all roots and culture reggae fans

5.0 out of 5 stars Reggae Fever (Caught You) Part. 2, March 6, 2008
This review is from: True Democracy (Audio CD)
Yes I've said it once (in the title) and I'll say it again, True Democracy is pretty much like the sequel to their previous album, Reggae Fever (Caught You). With its similarity in rhythm and style, you might as well give Reggae Fever (Caught You) it's props. Although they share similarities, the differences makes the album worth your while. Chant A Psalm, Ravers, A Who Responsible?, & Your House are great reasons to give this album a try. You can actually listen to the entire album without any hesitation, and the bonus track just sweetens the deal! What are you waiting for?! Go back and add this to your cart immediately, this is the last Steel Pulse album of its kind, yet it's the first album with a cover revealing their faces. The alternate cover were just like the others, painted, I guess they wanted to switch it up that time around. Don't stall any longer, buy this album! I give it a A+.

-D.J.

5.0 out of 5 stars Masterpiece, June 4, 2010
This review is from: True Democracy (Audio CD)
Some years ago I remember walking a few blocks to a small mom and pop record store with a good friend of mine without a clue as to what we were going to purchase. After a few hours of shuffling through darn near all the music in the store I made my way over to the reggae section determined to buy a King Yellowman CD, but for some reason the CD cover of "True Democracy" taught my eye, so I decided to take a chance. Of course I had listen to Steel Pulse before, but never did I think that I lucked out and purchased a masterpiece. When my friend got home I immediately played the CD and believed I found the holy grail of music. Never have I been moved by an album outside of maybe Marvin Gaye's "What Going On" album. This CD goes beyond a music genre and to be placed on the list of best albums ever. Pick it up and experience it for yourself.

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 Stars For Album, 5 For Their "CHANT A PSALM"!..., March 5, 2006
Will Alston (BALTIMORE, MARYLAND USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: True Democracy (Audio CD)
...5 Stars for a charmed and velveteen, lush, and sincere vocal lead, and sweetly stellar backing harmonies unlike ANY other group!These dudes are REAL! They are greatly accomplished instrumentalists with lyrics that go far beyond pen & paper and reggae beats & microphones. There is a 'life-deepness' inherent in Steel Pulse' words and catchy hooks; whether they be light-heartedly touched with a sense of wit and/or humor, serious topics, or spiritual beauty. I hope this Steel Pulse cd album will spur you to explore their many other great recordings. Warning: You may discover a music group that has more than just nice songs; these are humanitarians with notes of intelligence and social responsibility.

5.0 out of 5 stars I WANNA KNOW A HOW YA FEELIN...IRIE?, February 11, 2000
Morado (cincinnati, ohio USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: True Democracy (Audio CD)
Timeless reggae, classic Pulse, man this is a great CD! Intelligent, inspirational, angry: There are so many words to describe all the songs. I loved "Chant A Psalm," "Ravers," "Worth His Weight In Gold." I especially liked "Your House"(which I've never seen them play live), and "Blues Dance Raid," which is like a Rastafari Anthem. One thing I love about Steel Pulse is their lyrics. They tell history the way it happened, not the watered down "whitened" version we all seem to have learned. In some regards this has made them controversial. But truth speaks volumes...

5.0 out of 5 stars THE BEST GROUP THAT HAS EVER BEEN, March 16, 2007
This review is from: True Democracy (Audio CD)
WHAT MORE CAN I SAY THAT HASN'T BEEN SAID. SONGS WITH POSITIVE MESSAGE THAT EVEN ATTRACTED BOB TO SING ON HIS TOURS. TALK ABOUT GENIUS, EVERY ONE OF THEM IS. OF COURSE MY FAVORITE,D. HINDS, A. MARTIN, & S.B. BROWN. LORD HAVE MERCY, ANY TRUE REGGAE FAN KNOWS THIS GROUP. I HAVE FOLLOWED THEM RIGHT FROM THE START, HANDSWORTH REVOLUTION. SO LET'S JOIN HANDS MY BRETHREN AND MAKE THE WAY FOR OUR CHILDREN, OUR CHILDREN ...ENSURING THAT THEY GET LIFE'S FAIR SHARE OF EQUALITYYYYYYYYYYYY...

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›