Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Winter Sports on Amazon.com Sale

on January 5, 2013
I was able to install this in the Lionel G gauge Polar Express Train... the train really flies now. A lot lighter than the 6 C-Cells that were in there.
33 comments9 of 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 2, 2015
I purchased this combo because it was a lot less than buying individual items. The charger worked perfectly, and the batteries took a full charge over two nights. The Radio Control Car batteries were for the Lionel plastic wireless "Polar Express" toy train. The choice was six "C" cells per session or the rechargeable 9.6v battery pack. Unfortunately, Lionel's engineers didn't allow for the plastic film on these batteries, so I took the Tender (coal car) apart and cut out part of the battery space with an oscillating cutter. Now they fit, and the train will run for long sessions, with a spare battery fully charged standing by.

However, to make the batteries fit the tender, I had to modify it. One of the comments on the review has the full instructions for doing the mod.
review image review image
22 comments3 of 3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 8, 2013
The charging time for these batteries is 9 hours. You have to keep yourself pretty organized to make sure batteries are always charged especially since the LED charging indicator never turns off to let you know the batteries are charged. That simple feature would bring this up to 4 stars for me.
on February 28, 2013
The description of this item states 2 battery packs. As others have previously complained about, we received only ONE battery pack. Even the amazon.com sticked placed on the back of the item states 2 battery packs. I'm not even sure if it fits our Polar Express G-Gauge train yet. It appears there is a single pack version for $15 though. Perhaps a mistake somewhere? While I was not happy I didn't get my 2nd pack, I was very satisfied with amazon.com's quick response to my customer service email and that they refunded the difference in price between what I bought ($27), and the single pack one ($15.)
22 comments5 of 7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 11, 2014
I don't know if the price point was good but we use them in my sons John Deere Ertl RC tractor. They are not as powerful, fast or last as long as the original battery. they do he job which is important for my 3 y/o but as a father they should be as good or better than the original battery. calling batteries plus, they did not carry these in stock and said that they would have to make them. so price wise, I'm guessing its not bad.
on November 21, 2014
These are drop-in replacements for Lionel's G Gauge model train line. You can either use 6 C-cell batteries or one of these.

Versus the C cells, the advantages are:

The train is much, much faster with this pack, at least for a short time.
Rechargeable and thus environmentally friendly, if that matters to you.
Weighs less than 6 C-cells which makes the train much faster.

Disadvantages:

My batteries are date stamped. They are already over four years old. The kit doesn't appear to have ever been used, but it has sat somewhere for a very long time.

The life is a fraction of what the 6 C's offer. Expect a half hour or less on this pack, whereas the 6 C's you'll get hour after hour after hour of solid performance... and the NiCd is super fast for a few minutes, then tapers off dramatically.

Very long (10hr) charge time and you have to unplug it. Unlike Lion batteries, which charge quickly and then trickle.

Would I do it again?

Probably not. I was just curious to see how fast the train would go. Now that I know just how quickly these batteries drain, I'll just stick with C cells... given how long they last, what they cost isn't much of an issue.
on January 20, 2015
For the price it is a pretty good set, 2 batteries plus a charger. It is a pretty standard size for a lot of R/C cars and has a decent run time. The charger is a little slow and also doubles as the battery holder while charging. With the batter sitting in the holder slot and the cable attached to the charging port it, it does seem like a lot of weight for a standard wall mount plug to handle. But my sockets seem to hold up with all the weight still.

I used these batteries in a Radioshack X-Mods R/C, Fast Lane R/C, an off brand Costco R/C and they all got around the same run time as the OEM battery packs. The only thing that takes a star away is the charger design being a little bulky and putting more stress on an outlet than I would like. I now use the charger on a table with a power strip and the battery sitting on the table instead of the battery slot the charger has built in.
on December 12, 2015
This can be used for Polar Express G Scale train but you must modify the coal tender car. The problem is the wires (pictured). The spacee is not big enough to accommodate them. With a sharp utility knife and drill bit I was able to modify the slot for the batteries and now they fit perfectly. Better than having to continually buy batteries that weigh down the train.
on December 28, 2015
This item was "recommended" by Amazon when I purchased the Polar Express G gauge train set, which was not compatible with it. I wasted nearly $30 on something I now have no use for. Christmas eve night I had to find a store open so I could purchase the right batteries and spent another $25. Very frustrated with the purchase and Amazons recommendation.
on February 16, 2014
We purchased these battery packs because we were going throw 24 c a week in the polar express g-gauge train set. they make the train run a little faster and last a little longer then a set of c batteries. does take over night to recharge but worth it in long run and for the price of charger and 2 batteries how can you go wrong.