Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Stephen Kellogg All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Lisa Loeb AMO Winter Sports on Amazon.com SnS

on June 19, 2012
I open 10 to 20 bottles of wine a day at my job. If you are a professional server or bartender, this is a reliable tool.
0Comment78 of 81 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
As an amateur in the drinking business, I do not know much about corkscrews just yet. Regardless, I have found this one to be quite fantastic, especially when compared to my old one which required thick gloves to operate without injuring oneself and is the reason for the Merlot stain on my favorite jacket. Anyway, this dipsomaniac's doohickey made for the effortless ejection of corks from all of the bottom shelf liquor store wine bottles I have tried so far. It's such a titillating affair, I often find myself shoving the corks back in just so I can use this magnificent device to shanghai the them from their crystalline abodes once again. The foil cutter is quite nice too; it bears some resemblance to a pirate's cutlass but with small, saw-like teeth on the inside curve. It's perfect for removing the foil and plastic from bottles, and also performs quite satisfactorily in the slicing of olives, nuts, and small round fruits. As for appearance, the rustic yet industrial combination of metal and wood give it an air of classiness that is just so superb, so magnificent, that I can hardly bring it to a party without everyone commenting on how spectacularly splendid it looks and how lame I am for drinking wine at college parties all the time. Overall this sturdy, beautiful, easy to use contraption was easily worth what I paid for it, and I would delightedly recommend it to anyone looking for a new corkscrew.
33 comments131 of 142 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 2, 2013
There are a lot of options at this price point that will simply uncork a bottle of wine. This product stands out for its thoughtful engineering and clean appearance.

• It is heavy in the hand and SOLIDLY built. The handle is double riveted straight through two pieces of wood and three sheets of steel. You can see its substantial thickness in one of the photos another reviewer posted.
• It's nicely polished with smooth edges all around...clearly done by hand on a polishing wheel, and quite nicely.
• The steel worm (corkscrew) has a narrow channel running down its length...almost imperceptible in pictures...which allows air between metal and wine cork. It seems to make driving through a cork and untwisting it afterward very smooth and squeak free.
• The cutter is thick at the back (which makes for a strong mounting point) but tapers nicely at the edge. If I were to nitpick, the serration could be better and the edge a bit sharper, but there's really no trouble in cutting through foil. A very nice hook shape and sharp point at the end of the blade make it easy to removal foil.
• A *real* wooden accent adds some flair and feels good in the hand. A nice touch at this price.
• Hinges were well oiled and the contact point of the spring-loaded foot (fulcrum) was also lubricated...no squeaking or sticking. The thickness of the metal and inlay design on the foot are visually pleasing and feel good in the hand.
• The pieces come together with surprising precision for such an inexpensive product...proof that Chinese manufacturing (or any country for that matter) can be quite good when attention is paid to detail.

It’s easy to understand how the manufacturer can offer a ten year warranty…it would be a challenge – and a shame – to destroy this corkscrew.
0Comment38 of 39 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 10, 2012
This thing is a China-made copy of French Prestige by Coutale Sommelier - Solid Stainless Steel and in this case China beats France in all respects. Please read my review on which defects Coutale had, and this toy has none. And it costs half.
It doesn't look cool, but it is very decent, it does the job and it costs almost nothing, so this is the only thing you need to open up the bottle without any troubles to the bottle or your hands. Whatever else you buy will be just to gratify your or someone else's artistic integrity.
on July 16, 2013
I almost didn't buy this one, it's short and stubby, I like a long, lean looking corkscrew. But it was the cheapest wooden one with good reviews.

The description says double hinged, but my friends it is CUSTOM HINGED. I'm excited because I've never seen this before, so excuse me if this isn't news to you. I usually need to adjust to the second hinge when opening wine, and often it's a pain with only 2 settings. I was pleased to see there is a separate lever to push with your thumb to make a hinge at any height you please.

I'll look so much better opening wine at my serving job with this.
on November 26, 2012
I've owned Screwpull by Le Creuset Waiter's Corkscrew, and it's a great little item, but a little rough around the edges. This corkscrew is nearly identical in design, works exactly the same way, and its fit and finish is better. Wood handles is a nice touch. If you care enough about your "bottle-opening experience" to get a mechanical bottle opener - as opposed to something battery-powered - this thing is quite awesome.
on June 9, 2013
works pretty well. what i do not like is how rounded the knuckle is (the one in the center, not the hinge-end or the open end on the other side.) it tends to slide off the top of the wine bottle during the first pull, which makes you have to push the knuckle in even more, adding unnecessary strain to the side of the cork.

another issue (not a biggie) is how the pointy end of the corkscrew stops on the outside of the screw, not in the middle like it should. if you place the corkscrew top in the dead center of the cork and screw it in, you're going to mess up the cork. you need to start somewhere outside the center of the cork, or you risk breaking it apart and getting pieces of cork in the wine.

i've been in the service industry for 10 years and used tons of difference wine keys. this one is ok once you know how to use it. definitely form over function though. it's really solid and really attractive.
on January 22, 2012
Great product.
You'll enjoy it.
This beats all other wine openers that I have used. It is dependable and very easy to use. I recommend that you give it a try.
on February 27, 2013
I end up opening half a dozen or so bottles of wine a night with this opener. I wrote "professional" because I am anything but. This opener gets a little abuse here and there, but it always does the job very well.

It's very well made. Everything fits together nice and tightly, and the wood and metal are finished beautifully. The wood panels are still nice and tight after a couple months of solid use.

The two-stage opening action is nice and works just as well as any other opener out there like a Pulltaps.

My only complaint about this opener is the blade. It is serrated and I think it was either dull from the start or went dull very quickly. I have a hard time getting through foil without putting a lot of pressure on the blade.
on May 12, 2012
This is a nice, well made corkscrew. My only beef is that the blade, which is flat on one side and beveled on the other, is upside down. I like to use the serrations on the blade to trim the foil as I slide the flat edge around the lip of the bottle. With this corkscrew the flat side is on the wrong side for me. That's not a problem for the majority of people, and I understand that. My wish: make a lefty version and advertise it as such. You could even print 'LEFTY' on the side like those scissors they made us use in grade school. :P
0Comment25 of 32 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse