5.0 out of 5 stars Great CD, Gifted and Talented performer, Must See in Concert
Published on August 4, 2009 by Michael Delaney

3.0 out of 5 stars A nice record
In my opinion this is a very nice latin music record. Jessy J plays sax with a soft sweet style that a I like a lot.
Published on July 11, 2011 by Jimmy

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great CD, Gifted and Talented performer, Must See in Concert, August 4, 2009
This review is from: True Love (Audio CD)
I have purchased Jessy J's "True Love" CD and in my opinion it is a great follow-up to her successful "Tequila Moon" CD which I also happily own. Jessy's sax playing is wonderful in songs such as "Tropical Rain", "Forever", "True Love", "Mr. Prince" and "Somewhere In A Dream". But for me, an added bonus is the beautiful sound of her voice in songs as "Morning of the Carnival", "Llegaste Tu" and "Baila!". I am very happy that these vocal songs are in the "True Love" CD as her voice first caught my interest with the way she sang "Mas Que Nada" in her "Tequila Moon" CD.

I have also been fortunate enough to see Jessy J perform in concert and I would strongly encourage anyone to do the same. You can tell that she is a very gifted and talented musician and is very passionate about her musical profession.

4.0 out of 5 stars Smooth Jazz meets Latin Jazz ! A star in the making., August 4, 2009
This review is from: True Love (Audio CD)
The Portland-born of Mexican parents Jessica Spinella has just releasd her third solo album "True Love", which may be aptly summarized as "Smooth Jazz meets Latin Jazz".
It showcases some of the smoothest of saxophones tracks like "Tropical Rain", "True Love", "Mr Prince", and the edgy and very contemporary "Jessy's Blues".
Her tone is solid and strong and would explain why she has shared the stage with some of the most popular stars including the Temptations, Jessica Simpson, Michael Bolton, Gloria Trevi, and Armando Manzanero and many more.
Especially on tenor sax it is reminiscent of Grover Washington and Boney James and that is a huge compliment.
Her Latin sensibilities, along with some Afro-Cuban-Spanish inspirations, come through on the gorgeous "Morning Of The Carnival" - which is the famous theme composed by the Brazilian legend and bossa nova inventor A.C. Jobim for the movie "Black Orpheus" by the French director Marcel Camus - "Brazilian Dance", "Baila" and "Llegaste Tu".
She co-writes most of the tracks with her mentor/producer/hit-maker/label mate and guitar maestro Paul Brown.
Some fantastic jazz cats join in: keyboardist Gregg Karukas, bassist Roberto Vally, drummer Sergio Gonzalez and percussionist Richie Gajate Garcia and Paul Brown, of course.
On some track she adds her lovely vocals showing a personal, very soulful phrasing style.
We have lots of extremely pleasant tunes on offer, but they all follow the same overall style with jazz-tinged backings, relaxed yet soulful atmosphere and enjoyable (and at times too commercial and predictable) interpretations by Jessy.
But that alone can't mask her record's shortcomings.
A sassy chick with plenty of spark and the right kind of attitude, she may still do well. But she'll have to up her level and play less safe, that's for sure.
"True Love" is a delicious celebration of contemporary jazz from a talented, young and flavorful saxophonist... Grab a copy to go!
Update. The album debuts at # 7 of the Billboard Top Jazz album.
Issue date: August 18, 2009
ORFEU NEGRO (BLACK ORPHEUS) - ORIGINAL MOTION PICTURE SOUNDTRACK - FRANCE IMPORT LP
Black Orpheus
Tequila Moon
Foreign Xchange
Gk

5.0 out of 5 stars A must buy for those looking for new smooth jazz sound with a latin touch!, August 11, 2009
This review is from: True Love (Audio CD)
This is the second album which we've purchased of Jessy's as we also have her previous blockbuster album "Tequila Moon" as well. Jessy follows up her debut album with another very good mix of her unique latin jazz sound that has captured many of her devoted fans thus far. My favorite tracks on the "True Love" CD include obviously the hit single True Love, as well as Mr. Prince. I also enjoy the tracks which feature Jessy's lovely voice: Manha de Carnival, Llegaste Tu, and Baila! "True Love" has been in my vehicle's CD player since it came in the mail on July 31st. No one out there currently offers the combination of Jessy's latin sax sound AND the beautiful singing voice she has to accompany it. I think that you'll be very pleased with Jessy's second album release. For those who have purchased "Tequila Moon" and loved it, you'll definitely love "True Love". Go and treat yourself to another smooth jazz album that's bound to be just as successful as her first one!

5.0 out of 5 stars Jessy J ~ True Love ~ Turning Up The Heart <3, August 16, 2009
This review is from: True Love (MP3 Music)
You'll truly love the new Jessy J CD "True Love." It features the same excellent group of musicians as Tequila Moon (Paul Brown producing and playing guitar & Gregg Karukas arranging and playing keyboards, both with co-writing credits) but with a bigger budget this time, so there's more diversity and depth in additional tracking and "sweetening," such as choral backing vocals on selections like "08 Llegaste Tu," and applied doubling effects on certain vocal lines, all lending to an overall robustly and professionally polished presentation. "09 Brazilian Dance" is another example of the variety and compositional maturity on this record with its back beat rhythms. 05 Morning of the Carnival adds a dance pop quality without being trite, due to the fact it moves through key modulations & mutations with the greatest of flow. It is a superb sophomore release w/more vocals, more mature composition, more Spanish/Portuquese idiomatic Papiamento influence from the island of Curaçao (see what I mean?) from whence the CD gets its name. Jessy's excellent saxy vibrato is always perfectly placed in such a way that reminds me of how an enya ~ looks ~ and moves ~ like an ocean .wav. and her signature "alternate fingering" unison trill is ever present and as swift and fast as her improvisational mind. In fact, upon 1st hearing of "Tropical Rain," the opening track, on satellite radio's Watercolors, last month, I knew it was new Jessy J in the 1st 4 note phrase, her style has become so distinctive.

Jessy J has come to own her own live stage completely solo as well, having stepped into her role as band leader quite ably, while remaining agile enough to play in a supergroup context with the likes of Guitars & Saxes musical momuments, Jeff Lorber & Jeff Golub, allowing them to step to the front with her perfect punctuation and support. Download right away for convenience at [...] a pop, and order a CD so you can have her "personalize" it at a show. [...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Jessy J es muy excellent!, August 16, 2009
This review is from: True Love (MP3 Music)
The title of the CD is 'True Love' and the music that plays intones exactly that, Jessy's true love of music and life. From the first catchy notes of Tropical Rain to the last salsa notes of Baila!, the music does not let you go until it's over. But by then, you can't wait to start over again. All the selections are outstanding but there are personal favorites. The stand out selections for me are; Tropical Rain, True Love, Morning of the Carnival from Black Orpheus, Jessy's Blues, Llegaste Tu and Baila!. I could listen to these selections over and over again which I have done since purchasing the CD. Jessy is not only a fabulous sax player, but she also enriches her 'True Love' CD with her sweet angelic voice of hers and I don't know which I tend to enjoy more. Overall, I am very excited and pleased with her sophomore release and tend to make this, (as well as 'Tequila Moon'), the top favorites of my extensive 800 plus CD collection. Listening to Jessy J always takes me to a place where I just don't want to come back from, I truly love it!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars My New Favorite Jazz Artist, September 2, 2009
This review is from: True Love (Audio CD)
I saw Jessy when she came to town a few months ago for a free concert. I knew only one song of hers, the EXCELLENT Tequila Moon, and I have been intrigued since then. After hearing her latest single 'Tropical Rain' I decided to give her first album a listen and what I found was a goldmine. Her sound is refined and her talent shows through. I then gave her current album a listen and I was surprised to find that she had shown growth over her previous, great album Tequila Moon.

My favorites from the album include the first single Tropical Rain which has a very groovy mix of drums and her signature sax style and Jesssy's Blues which I defy you to not be inspired to dance along even subtly. While those two are my favorite I am by no means saying that I don't like the rest. They are all very well produced. You'll come to love her mix of Smooth Jazz and Latin that make this album a gem. I'm very content with my purchase and recommend this album to any Smooth Jazz fan out there.

5.0 out of 5 stars Upbeat, Exciting, Enjoyable Latin-inspired Jazz Music, August 21, 2010
archtone (United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: True Love (Audio CD)
Nearly every song on this CD is an exciting, enjoyable, sensual, jazz piece. Just when you think it can't get any better, the next track starts playing! Many of the songs make you want to dance. Others are slower. It's a great mix. Jessy J is super-talented, both as a composer and a saxophonist. The only songs that I do not like are the ones on which Jessy J tries to sing; she has a very small, childlike voice with no resonance. Fortunately, she doesn't sing too much on this CD. Most of the songs are just instrumental.

I highly recommend this CD to anyone who enjoys jazz, smooth jazz, or Latin-inspired jazz.

I look forward to Jessy J's next CD.

5.0 out of 5 stars Jessy J plays the sax!, August 9, 2010
This review is from: True Love (Audio CD)
This CD was an extremely pleasant surprise. Not that I expected it to be a miserable experience, but it's hard to purchase music if you have not heard the musician before. Jessy J, on "True Love", plays the tenor and soprano sax, is talented, sure, and has a delightful mix of blues moods from thoughtful to jazzy tropical, backed by her well-blended group. Very nice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Jessy J - Wonderful Artist and Wonderful Performer, June 2, 2010
This review is from: True Love (Audio CD)
My wife and I were SO fortunate to be able to see Jessy in concert this past weekend in Tucson. We also got to meet with her during a very informal meet and greet reception. Not only was the concert incredible, and fantastic, but this young woman was also one of the most charming people you ever want to meet. Jessy J and her band entertained a crowd of at least 800 people in the grand ballroom of the Loew's Ventana Canyon Resort. Her music, and her connection to the audience was something to behold. If this gal comes within 100 or more miles of your home on her tour, it is well worth the drive to buy a ticket and go see her. You will not be sorry. We bought her first CD and loved it, but waited until we were able to get an autographed copy at the concert where we bought "True Love." It is as wonderful as "Tequila Moon," ... simply beautiful smooth jazz. Buy it or download it today. If you like smooth jazz, and in particular jazz with a latin flavor, you are guaranteed to love "True Love."

5.0 out of 5 stars True Love, January 14, 2011
This review is from: True Love (Audio CD)
I absolutely love it. I play it almost every morning on my way to work. The jazz is classical, it is fun and it can be enjoyed on a Saturday, at a party or just to unwind. Her saxaphone is just as good or better than any man playing. I am impressed and want to hear all of her stuff.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

True Love
True Love by Jessy J (Audio CD - 2009)
Rate and Discover Movies