5.0 out of 5 stars Meditation- effortless, choiceless, silent awareness
True Zen is about Waking Up and discovering the Truth of your Being, the Unborn, your Buddha Nature here and now, but for the most part Zen has become very rigid and institutionalized, often mistaking the finger for the moon it is pointing to.

Published on September 10, 2006 by Tom Thompson

3.0 out of 5 stars It's ok...
Published on May 9, 2007 by cincin

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Meditation- effortless, choiceless, silent awareness, September 10, 2006
Tom Thompson "Tom Thompson" (Southern Pines, North Carolina) - See all my reviews
This review is from: True Meditation (Audio CD)

Adyashanti and his teaching style are a wonderful and refreshing exception to this as Adya's teachings arise spontaneously out of prajna, like the teachings of the ancient Zen masters of China. Wake up now!

Adya's "True Meditation" seems to be based on the Zen practice of shikantaza, or just sitting and allowing everything to be as it is, and koan practice, which once was a spontaneous inquiry into Truth, but has become a formalized and ritualized practice that is not of particular value to the present day Western spiritual seeker. Adya has very appropriately modernized these ancient practices so they are very useful to anyone sincerely wanting to wake up without getting all caught up in some sect, religion or belief system. True meditation and meditative self-inquiry are like the two wings of an airplane. Both are needed if it is going to fly.

The teaching here is so direct, simple and clear that it can be easily overlooked by those who are highly trained in one system of meditation or another, or those with complex belief systems about what it takes to wake up. If your intention is to simply wake up and discover what is true rather than learn a system or gather more information, then these CDs are for you. They are really all you need!

"Our minds are surely gone

when we see everything as God.

Prepare yourself Mother Earth

the inmates are loose

the fools have

broken free of their chains." (Adyashanti)

By Tom Thompson - The Awakened Heart Center for Conscious Living

5.0 out of 5 stars What is discovered when the "meditator" is dropped from meditation? Freedom!, June 25, 2006
KAP (Wisconsin) - See all my reviews
This review is from: True Meditation (Audio CD)
This is a three CD set devoted to what Adyashanti calls "true meditation". In the first two CDs he describes what separates the meditator from the goal of meditation (the meditator!) and in the third CD he leads the listener in arriving at the goal of meditation through the dismantling of the meditator - he does this in three different guided meditations. In other words, he speaks to the "illusory self" the listener takes himself to be so that that illusory self is seen for what it is. Then in the 3rd CD he takes the listener "by the hand" and step-by-step leads him/her to what remains (consciousness) when the grip of the ego is loosened and finally dropped altogether. This loosening and dismantling of the ego is accomplished by the recognition and then dropping of the many ways in which the ego manipulates what arises within the mind so that the foundation of what one is stands alone and unobscured.

There are many forms of meditation and Adyashanti briefly mentions the goals of some of these. But when it comes to discovering what one truly is Adyashanti assserts, and I agree with him on this, that one must realize and then discover directly for oneself that the impediment to the goal of Self-realization is the very one who seeks for that goal, the ego entity. It is this ego entity which gets in the way of "true meditation" and which obscures the natural state of awareness which is here always. One IS the natural state of awareness, and by no longer manipulating anything this is discovered directly. Adyashanti is brilliant in leading you to this discovery for yourself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delivered just as the Title Says, September 10, 2009
This review is from: True Meditation (Audio CD)
I bought the CD version for True Meditation from Adyashanti. I now listen to this set of CDs in my car ride usually. I attended a class a couple years ago around different ways to meditate (Buddhists meditation around compassion, breath, body awareness, mantra, visualization, healing etc). I have been to the Zen Center on a regular basis just to meditate.

This book helps me reconcile all the various type of meditations I learned. Yes, Adyashanti was right that each type of meditation has its purpose to alleviate suffering and help us dream better. These various types of meditations play important roles on the aspects of lessen suffering. In fact, they are usually the stepping stones to the path Adyashanti is pointing to. I am glad I did not purchase this set of CDs a couple years ago because I knew I would have listened to it once (might not be able to even get through it once) and let it gather dust somewhere because I had too pain to "allow everything to be as it is" nor have any extra energy to ask "Who am I". This set of CDs might not be good for beginners who are looking for an approach to lessen suffering (dream better). I would suggest Jon Kabit Zinn's series of books and CDs first unless the person truly feels very ripe and ready for this. There is nothing wrong to dream a little better first before deep realizations and waking up from the dream.

However, when healing starts to take place and suffering has been lessened in one's own psyche, True Meditation might be the one that will help us realize who we truly are (or wake up from the dream of form/delusion/illusion). The CDs talk about the meditator who is trying to control experiences and clarifications on the technicality of posture and eyes (close or open the eyes). His words are very concise and clear in pointing to reality and I love that.

The 3rd CDs has 3 guided meditations. They are tremendously helpful. However, I suggest doing the guided meditation in conjunction to silent meditation using his words as pointers... not to achieve some goal ... but to come back to our natural state of mind.

Yes, some people might say isn't this what Zen has on Shikantaza and Ramana Maharshi's self inquiry approach? Well, there are many fingers pointing to the moon. We can spend countless time in categorizing what Adyashanti's teaching (like examining and categorizing what type of fingers it is) instead of focusing the essence of the teaching (the moon). Which one would you choose? I would much rather spend time looking at the moon personally.

Thank you for reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Profoundly Enlightning, January 12, 2007
This review is from: True Meditation: Discover the Freedom of Pure Awareness (Hardcover)
The object of meditation for me is to find out what we really are, not what we 'think' we are or are 'taught' we are. To awaken to my true nature or being.

I think the problem for me has been in the trying to get something, or to achieve something. As Adyashanti points out, True Meditation isn't about 'trying' to get anything. The problem is in the effort, the solution is in the letting go, "effortless effort". The quided meditation CD that comes with the book helps to develop that attitude.

Interestingly, Adyashanti inquires "What Am I". It is a more profound question that the mind cannot try and grasp as easily as "Who Am I"? After all, were not looking for something that the mind can grasp. From page 50 "Thoughts come and go, but that which is witnessing the thoughts remains."

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes., April 23, 2008
This review is from: True Meditation (Audio CD)
I teach anger management and depression classes for a hospital and have been looking for some meditations on CD to bring to class. I got this three CD set today, and went right to the meditation on the third CD called "Allow Everything To Be As It Is." I listened to it once to see if I could use it- because if it had any overt spiritual references I wouldn't be able to- and then took it to class to play for them. It worked out really, really well. I especially appreciate the wisdom and technique demonstrated in allowing the listener to let go of the meditator in the meditation. This practice makes so much sense to me. I imagine I will be back with more appreciation of this CD set after I have experienced the rest of it. It is just that I liked it so much, and my class liked the meditation we did so much I just couldn't wait to tell you!

3.0 out of 5 stars It's ok..., May 9, 2007
I love the way Adyashanti speaks and I recommend his book "Emptiness Dancing", HIGHLY. This "True Meditation" book comes with a CD, so that's cool. The written part, though, isn't in the same quality as "Emptiness Dancing". The chapters are short, and aside from one or two sentences per chapter, spoken in his way, the rest is filler. Chapter after chapter does the same thing, and often repeats itself. It seems more like a marketing tool than anything else. It seems like someone took Adyashanti's words and then put together this handy dandy $20 book-with-a-CD for promotional purposes. The book reads like a flyer insert, accompanying the CD. So, that was a drag. But you get a CD, right?

5.0 out of 5 stars It's time, November 6, 2010
You love the wisdom of your current teacher (Eckhart Tolle, Marianne Williamson, Baba Ram Dass, etc.) Yet although it has been a few years now, you can't help but notice you have not actually been transformed. You may have had experiences and insights but you are by no means an enlightened being.

It's time for Adyashanti.

I learned TM in 1974 and have been practicing meditation in one form or another ever since. I learned several different styles and methods and practiced them all to the best of my ability and with great faith - but no actual transformation. When I noticed this three CD audio set, I thought "yeah, right, he has something he can teach me about meditation that I don't already know about." Despite that skepticism, I decided to give it a try. I'd recently read his book "The End of Your World" and was very impressed with it.

So I listened. It is in fact different from anything else I had learned. I tried it, since it was a lot easier and more clear than the method I was using. Within six weeks I had my first completely clear and authentic glimpse of the awakened state of being.

The differences are that first, Adyashanti explains in clear and simple language what awareness is, in terms of your personal experience with it. He offers excellent guided meditations that bring you to this direct experience. The truth that you are in fact awareness itself is firmly established. It is indisputable.

Then he teaches you how to simply notice that aspect of your being until you are fully awakened to it. It is basically the same method that Ramana Maharshi taught Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj, that he then used to awaken in 2-3 years. But it is taught in a way that is far more approachable and understandable.

In following this teaching, I find that I am easily and comfortably drawn to sit in the stillness and silence that I used to alternately struggle to find and run from. Since I am no longer fighting to quiet the mind, I love to meditate. There is no question that a process of transformation is underway.

This is not the only instruction that I have benefited from, but his approach to meditation is THE central teaching that everything else I learn and have learned revolves around. I feel confident in saying that it is the best instruction on what meditation actually is and how to do it in a way that leads to awakening that you will ever find, anywhere. I am grateful that my ego did not prevent me from discovering this.

I recommend the audio CDs rather than the book for the guided meditations in particular. You may want to couple this with the book "The Most Direct Means to Eternal Bliss." This also teaches this type of meditation and has an excellent deconstruction of the ego that I found very helpful. The author recommends reading that book very slowly, which was a revealing experience. It highlights the mind's habitual practice of racing from one thing to the next to the next ad infinitum, and slows it down to the point where true meditation is much easier. It also advocates doing as much meditation as you can - instruction I found difficult to follow until I discovered "True Meditation."

5.0 out of 5 stars One of The Most Brilliant Works Out There... Bravo! Adyashanti, May 24, 2007
Ernesto "Live Well" (Humble, TX United States) - See all my reviews
Yes, it was simple. I had missed this little point for a very long time. He was so clever to spot it, however. We're born with it without even realizing it. It's - as Adyashanti points out - our subconscious need for control.

Amazing! I woke up in about 5 seconds after hearing that! Yes, he is correct!

Let go of control and you'll get there!

Only the mind wants to fix the mind. It wants to be in control. It wants to fix everything.

You could meditate for 12 hours, but if don't let go of control you'll be stuck for a long time. Things like... "Gee, I'm still the same.. Nothing has changed.."

Simple but really powerful. Probably the end of your journey.

5.0 out of 5 stars Recognizing Non-duality in Meditation, February 14, 2007
Brett Cantrell (Valdosta, GA United States) - See all my reviews
If you're interested in opening up your meditation practice, drawing close to enlightenment, and seeing things as they truly are. . . this is the book. The CD included makes this an excellent training guide to "no mind"-fulness. Get it.

5.0 out of 5 stars True Meditation is awesome, February 8, 2008
Danny Cole (Vancouver, Wa USA) - See all my reviews
I thought this was a great book. During hypnosis sessions I had been guided by spirit to "MEDITATE". What I had been taught about meditation in my life made me uncomfortable. I had tried meditating (the way I thought it had to be done) but found it to be very boring! I thought I was doing it "wrong" because my mind would wander. Plus, I could not just sit still for hours. Yuk! Anyway, with Adyashanti's guidance through this book and CD, I was able to let go of a lot of what I thought meditation was supposed to be. I was able to open up and accept that my mind was going to wander, etc. I also am now at the point where I realize that I am in a constant state of meditation when I am present. When I am not projecting my thoughts in the past or in the future. My "meditation time" is better spent walking in nature, or just walking around my neighborhood. God (or whatever you prefer to call the all that is), is always there for me when I am walking and asking questions. Always! When I am walking and enjoying the beauty all around me, I am present. This book and CD are well worth the read and listen. Thank you Adyashanti! Bless your heart!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

True Meditation: Discover the Freedom of Pure Awareness
True Meditation: Discover the Freedom of Pure Awareness by Adyashanti (Hardcover - Nov. 2006)
$19.95 $15.80