67%
33%
True Things (Adults Don't Want Kids to Know) (Amelia Rules!)
Format: PaperbackChange
Price:$9.81+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on October 28, 2010
Volume 5 started the transition from kid to young adult, and this one pretty much rams it through. Sometimes the symbolism gets so heavy that Gownley hangs a lampshade on it, but it works. Essentially a five issue miniseries all at once, a continuing story but with clear breaks. Some of the supporting cast drift into the background while others come to the fore, as happens in life. And along the way there's loads of laughs and plenty of sentimentality-that-works. Strongly recommended.
on December 22, 2010
With True Things (Adults Don't Want Kids to Know), creator Jimmy Gownley raises the quality of his now-five-book series to new heights. This long story about Amelia's continuing progress as she learns about promises (both kept and broken) and struggles to achieve her goals shows the title heroine getting more than a few lessons from the school of hard knocks. While still a wonderful children's story, the book is Gownley's most emotionally mature work yet.

The book begins with a fun birthday party for Amelia (the surprise guest is Amelia's Aunt Tanner, a former rock star who, throughout the book, struggles with her creativity while encouraging Amelia to explore her own). Quickly, though, problems begin to sprout in the form of feuding friends and bad grades and, most perplexing of all, Amelia's new crush, who seems sweet at first and then nothing short of awful as things develop.

All of it works, even if it does get a little heavy-handed at times. Amelia is so likable that she carries the series with her charms and wit, but even when she's facing real-life challenges, she maintains a humor and likeability that shine through.

-- John Hogan
on March 8, 2013
I had high expectations for this one after "The Tweenage Guide to Not Being Unpopular". There were some great moments and plot advancements (I knew SPOILER Tanner would get together with Mr. Henderson after he was so lovingly illustrated in the last book END SPOILER), but at other points I was left wanting more. I loved Mary's flashback near the beginning, for instance, but the few panels about Amelia's old friend Ira whetted my appetite for a more fleshed-out treatment. And again, the drama of dealing with a crush is not new territory for fiction, though I do like how Jimmy Gownley combines it with a fear of growing up (and I'd be lying if I said I didn't totally relate). He's made some big changes and set up some interesting new situations for the next volumes in the series, I'm sure.