Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: True Whit: Designing a Life of Style, Beauty, and Fun
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

Format: Hardcover|Change

on March 23, 2011
I saw Whitney on the Chelsea Handler show and she made the book seem pretty cute, so I blindly pre-ordered on my Kindle instead of sampling it when it came out. I was a fan of The Hills and The City, so I figured if anything there would be anecdotes that I remembered from the shows. Sadly, I cannot get into this book...at all. If you are a younger girl (I'm 29), you might find some of her tidbits helpful, but to me it is recycled and/or generic information (what to keep in your pantry, healthy snacks, a list of the books and movies she has in her apartment, making a party playlist)...so random. Half the pages had me rolling my eyes until I just started skipping through hoping to find something I actually wanted to read. I like Whitney a lot, but I wouldn't recommend purchasing this book.
on May 9, 2011
I'm a fan of Whit and a few years younger than she is so I thought her advice could apply to me. As another reviewer mentioned, this is pretty much Whitney's version of Lauren Conrad Style, but it covers more ground than Lauren's. Mostly she talks about creating/finding your own personal style and making it work, but she also gives tips on decorating your apartment, healthy snacks she likes, working in the real world, and throwing a party. She also gives you a glimpse into her life - she uses pictures of her apartment to illustrate what she's talking about and tells stories about her experiences to back up her points. There's no Hills/City inside info, although she references scenes from the shows occasionally.

The bottom line is if you like Whitney and are looking for some fun personal style ideas and advice, you'll like this book. It's a little silly (e.g. the snapshot of her favorite movies), but it was a fun read, and I picked up a few tidbits here and there. If you're not already a Whitney fan/don't know who she is, then you probably won't get much out of this book.
on February 14, 2011
Has a lot of pictures and wardrobe advice, but don't expect any sort of biography or deets on the Hills or the City. Good for Wardrobe advice, and had a good chapter on relationships. Otherwise, all about Wardrobes.
on January 24, 2012
I watched The Hills, The City, so I thought this could be a nice style book.

My biggest issue is: when I'm reading it I can't stop thinking how someone who worked at Vogue magazine approved such a bad job when "Photoshoping" her own pictures.

It's really poorly produced, we can see backgrounds that were not properly removed, weird hair shapes because of that... I just expected a higher quality product. I wonder if Lisa Lowe and Kelly Coutrone approved this.

In my opinion, she could have taken it more seriously and paid more attention to details.
on June 3, 2012
This is a book for Whitney fans. It is markedet as a life-guide, I am not sure if actually qualifies.. I agree with previous commenters in that the book has some odd sections (such as her listing her movies), but I disagree with the ones that say this is Whitney's version of Lauren Conrad Style. This book is not all about fashion tips, do's and dont's and it's not claiming to be. It does cover it, although much more shallow then Lauren Conrad's style, and it also covers entertaining, interior design, confidence.. all through the eyes of a twenty something year old, who btw isn't claiming to be an expert just sharing her views. For Whitney fans I imagine it's even fun to know what kind of movies she watch. I actullay become a bigger Whitney fan after reading the book ( I just picked it up on a complete whim because it was a bargain) and it made me happy. It inspired me, just like a magazine would. Not everything has to be pulitzer material, somethings - like this book - can be just for fun!
on April 12, 2014
I don't know what I thought this book was gonna be about even after reading the other reviews about it, call it me being a "Whit Porter" fan throughout the year thanks to "THe Hills" and "The City" I like her professional side she showed on t.v so I though perhaps this books would be a brief bio into her life with a few tips on how to dress professionally and the like, and it kind of is but isn't. It's like a rehashed conversation with your best friend on a Saturday afternoon about a break up with her boyfriend that you already heard a million times and the outcome in the end is still the same. It seems like this book was more of a venting session for her than a book about style or true whit you could probably find more tips on make up, clothing, and fashion attire out of a "Glamour" or "Vogue" magazine heck Lauren Conrad's self help fashion books had more personality and that's saying something.
on November 27, 2012
I love Whitney Port from The Hills and The City. She is so stylish and true to herself. This book makes a fun know to on things in life for a woman to feel more confident about from a job to style to everything in between. A girly, feminine book to keep and go to for advice and even delicious recipes! I love True Whit!
on June 24, 2015
Borrowed this from a friend and loved it! Decided to purchase it for myself to re read, great pics and tops from the stylish Whitney Port! Highly recommended if you are a fashion fan and fan of the hills or the city!!
on October 18, 2013
This is a great product! Whitney port is amazing and I'm a huge fan so this was a good read! Recommend this book highly!
on March 23, 2013
i loved it she is defiantly an inspirations and role mode ,cant wait to buy some more of her booksl (: