TrueBlood, The New HBO Series Based on Charlaine Harris' Vampire Mysteries

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 132 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 3, 2008 10:50:25 PM PDT
Mark says:
I was very happy to hear about the new series based upon these books. From what I've been told it premieres on HBO on September 7th.

However, after getting to preview the series I am not so thrilled with the first episode. They have some great actors and actresses, but somehow the results were not good. I'm still going to watch it air to see if the final airing has been changed relative to the preview episode.

I don't want to put any spoilers here, but I am just curious:
1. how many people even knew they made a show about this series?
2. How many people have gotten to preview the show?
3. What everybody elses opinions are
4. Once people watch the show, if they are as disappointed in it as I was

Thanks in advance for your posts.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 5, 2008 5:47:17 AM PDT
Lissa Jo says:
I knew they were making a show, but I don't get HBO so I can't watch it on a weekly basis. I'm curious, how did you get to see an episode already. Has it started airing? I did read other reviews about it and they all say the show is alright it just doesn't capture the humor and southern feel that the books do.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 5, 2008 11:27:18 AM PDT
Mark says:
Hi Melissa,

just in case you have any friends with HBO, they have a making-of show scheduled for tonight.

September 5, 2008
7:45 Making True Blood

The first episode is scheduled to air as I initially posted Sunday night, September 7th from 9:00 to 10:00 PM. They are scheduled to immediately reair it from 10:30 to 11:30 PM for those who missed it.

However at 8:00 PM they have 2 half hour shows kind of building up to the show with some Vampire backstories and historical info.All this schedule info was taken off of HBO.com.

So to answer your question, it hasn't started airing yet.

I think the other reviews you read sound like they are probably similar to the reaction I had when I saw it. I'm hoping it gets better though.

I was able to preview the episode, which they will sometimes due to build buzz for a new show. From what I understand, they were very liberal with putting preview copies out there.

I believe that free rentals of the episode are also available in certain areas at Blockbuster and Hollywood Video if you want to try to track one down before Sunday. Call your local place and see if they have any in stock.

As a Vampire drama lover, I am interested to hear your impressions if you do get your hands on a copy. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2008 6:35:42 PM PDT
P. Duffey says:
Watching it right now. It does sort of follow the book but it is still sort of cheesy. I'll give it a little more time before I make my mind up completely.

Bet Harris is floating right now. Not many books at picked to be made into movies, hbo or elsewhere.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2008 7:28:20 PM PDT
Mark says:
You're right about it being hard for books, especially books like this, to be picked up by networks or studios. It's very rare.

I'm going to wait till episode 2 to make up my mind completely, but episode 1 was definitely a dud.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2008 8:31:05 PM PDT
Bkrdr50 says:
I thought the sex was a bit graphic, and the southern accents a bit overdone. We had a free HBO weekend here and being a big Sookie fan was excited to see the show. Guess I will have to wait for it come out on dvd to see anymore episodes.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2008 8:48:14 PM PDT
Christina H. says:
I agree with Bk, the video scene went on a little too long. I've never read the books mainly because everyone who seems to compare it with Anita Blake ends up not liking it and I liked that series quite a bit... well used to anyway. But it was quite ....cheesy. Strangely enough my husband seemed to have liked it more than me... go figure.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2008 12:59:11 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 9, 2008 1:00:34 PM PDT
Amanda says:
I heard a couple years ago they were going to do it so I've been watching for it
I actually liked it, I was also a fan of six feet under so maybe I just like Alan Ball's style but I thought it followed close enough to the book and overall I enjoyed it
Also Keeper I read the first 5 or 6 Anita Blake Books and I liked them and I still liked this series so maybe you will too

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2008 2:59:37 PM PDT
iriegirl says:
I loved the series of books, I even listened to the audio books for the last two. As far as the HBO series goes, the only ones that didn't totally annoy me were Jason & Sam. I can't stand how Sookie "make-out" talks with Bill. You know.....talking, but making head movements like she's making out. Also, I'm pretty dissapointed with who they chose to play Eric. What a lil' dweeb! Eric is supposed to be this big viking type guy! I dunno' if I just totally misread the characters, or if HBO is missing some of the most important reasons why Harris's books are such big sellers! ROMANCE READERS!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2008 3:19:17 PM PDT
Mark says:
LOL @ iriegirl

That's a really funny comment about the "making out" head movements. The southern accents are also very hit or miss among the actors.

I actually like most of the actors, including Anna who plays Sookie. And I even like Alan Ball, but this is a far cry from Six Feet Under. In the past he was usually paired with somebody else, but on this one he's the writer and director. I think it's too much on his plate. He needs to get a real director for this series and maybe more input from Charlaine Harris on the writing.

So iriegirl, how irie are you? ;)

Sorry couldn't resist.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2008 5:52:07 PM PDT
R. Cawthon says:
There is actually a long thread under Breaking Dawn's discussions about trueblood. I have posted several times under that thread and have to say after watching the TV series premeire that is was very sexually graphic to the point that it made me uncomfortable in some scenes (very R rated). I loved the books but I hope the series gets better and with less explicit nudity and less explicit sex scenes.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2008 5:55:36 PM PDT
R. Cawthon says:
I also wanted to reply and agree with you about the Anita
Blake series..I loved the first few books but the rest are just too out there for me. I almost can't stand to read anymore of her books.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2008 9:33:26 PM PDT
C. allen says:
I thought it was a very welcome change from a network show called "Moonlight", talk about cheesy! I didn't mind the sex in the show either, the books got pretty graphic too. The only thing that bothered me was some of the teeth on the vampires. I thought the were too walrus-y and not fang-y. Lets face it vampires, done right, are sexy.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2008 10:27:15 PM PDT
Mark says:
Yeah, I think HBO wants to set themselves apart like they did with the Sopranos, so they go for a more graphic feel that is a bit overdone. I don't even mind that if it helps the story, but in the first episode it all seemed like cheap sugarcoating.

Yeah, the accents were terrible in general except for a few exceptions.

Still, I plan on watching some more in the hopes that it improves.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2008 10:29:02 PM PDT
Mark says:
I agree with you on the teeth being too pointy, but they were going for that kind of feel I think. I normally wouldn't be bothered by the sex, but here it seemed like a cheap trick to cover up the weak points in the show.

Oh well. Only time will tell if it gets any better.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 10, 2008 7:53:13 AM PDT
Jennifer says:
I have read the books and I love them. I like the series too, it can't follow the books exactly since most of what we are reading is going on in Sookie's head. TV just doesn't work like that. Of course there is sex, Jason is a big ole horn dog. They live in the backwoods of Louisianan so yeah they are going to have a country accent. I am from Texas, I have been to Alexandria, yes some of them really do talk that way, dialect just depends on where you live. I like Alexander I think he will be an excellent Eric. I didn't like the choice of Bill at first but he has grown on me. I also think like most tv shows the first episode is rough but as the series goes on the episodes will get better.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 10, 2008 9:33:19 AM PDT
Mark says:
Hey Jennifer,

thanks for your post. I think the way that they tried to show you what it's like "inside Sookie's head" was interesting. They scored points for originality, but I hope they go to single voices soon because I could imagine that getting old fast over a season.

I've been all over the place and sometimes accents are just bad. Some of the actors were good but some of them just didn't pull of the accents.

I will say this. I REALLY hope you are right about the show getting better after the first episode.

:)

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 10, 2008 11:45:36 AM PDT
bub says:
Saw the first episode Sunday. Thought the sex was terrific and added to the tension of the story. Cannot comment on the accents as I am from Connecticut and have no clue. I thought episode one was excellent and look forward to the rest of the season. Actors were all excellent. Disagree with someones opinion that Eric is a dweeb. Thought all the guys were hot. ml

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 10, 2008 1:43:00 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 10, 2008 1:56:29 PM PDT
Phoenix says:
Being a Louisianian, I've got to agree with you and thought they did okay. I live in a town with a pop. of about 2,000 and we have all kind of accents. Some sound like they have none and others are very, very thick.

I didn't really like the longevity (for lack of better word) of the nude scenes. Overall, it helps the story along, but I felt it lasted just a little too long. Though I didn't mind seeing the actor who plays Jason without clothes. I believe they should make him go shirtless at all times. They do that here. (Quickly nodding head) Yeah, yeah, they do, they do.

Edit: Remembered something else I didn't really care for. Tara's character on the tv is annoying. Can you say steriotypical angry black woman? Although I did forgive her some because of how much she cares for Sookie. She was sounding kind of desperate when we could hear her thoughts.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 10, 2008 3:41:25 PM PDT
Mark says:
Well, thanks for that. I will suspend disbelief on the accents for now I suppose.

I agree with you about Tara's character. I thought it was written terrible for the show. It almost didn't make sense the way they did it there. And her really transparent come-on's to Sookie's brother were annoying too.

Oh well. lol

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 10, 2008 4:48:17 PM PDT
iriegirl says:
I'm still trying to figure out Tara's "angry black girl" angle, too. I can assume they made her a more important character (Sookie needs a steady supporting actor, I guess), but I'm waiting on the stereotype explination. I still think Eric is a friggin' dweeb. Maybe I read too many Highlander books ;)

Oh, Mark.....Irie was my first Dog's name. Not as scandalous as you imagined, but she was a great dog

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 10, 2008 5:02:47 PM PDT
Mark says:
LOL

yeah, I think this character choice backfired the most. But they can tone it down if they want to. We'll see.

I was just teasing you about that. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 10, 2008 5:04:17 PM PDT
Mark says:
And by "that" I meant the name thing of course. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 10, 2008 7:13:23 PM PDT
Jennifer says:
Tara always seemed weak willed to me in the books she has appeared in. She never really seemed that outspoken for the most part. I don't understand the Tara angle on the show either.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 12, 2008 4:06:44 AM PDT
R. Cawthon says:
Wasn't Tara the one in the books that owned a boutique-please correct me if I'm wrong and in the books is she black or did I miss something? Just trying to figure out if I'm thinking of her or another character. I'm going to reread the entire series now to refresh my memory.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  58
Total posts:  132
Initial post:  Sep 3, 2008
Latest post:  May 2, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 9 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Dead Until Dark  (Sookie Stackhouse/True Blood, Book 1)
Dead Until Dark (Sookie Stackhouse/True Blood, Book 1) by Charlaine Harris (Mass Market Paperback - May 1, 2001)
4.1 out of 5 stars   (1,268)