Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Melvins Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Showing 1-10 of 75 reviews(5 star). Show all reviews
on June 23, 2004
TrueFaced has become one of my favorite books. the truths found in this book have brought me higher in my christian life than anything else. these authors tell us not to try to take care of our sins, but realize that Jesus has already done this on the cross. we must live, if we've accepted Christ's sacrifice, as though nothing, not even our sin issues, are hindering us from God. only pride, not trusting what God says, can hinder us from this peace. the Bible tells us countless times to live in the new life, to put away the old man. this is what it is talking about. God wants us to trust in Him, not take care of all of our problems. that will come later, He merely wants us to TRUST Him. what did we do in our salvation except believe? nothing. and we must live that even after our justification --that we have no power over our sin, and only God can take care of them. yes, some things are hard to be understood and pursued in this book, but the truth mentioned above and the learning of it is more than worth the price.
on October 10, 2003
TrueFaced is an absolutely incredible book that every Christian should read. So many of us hide behind masks, hoping that people will love and accept us more if we act a certain way. And unfortunately, in the Christian community, being honest about who you are and what you're struggling with isn't usually accepted. This is a great book about God's grace and extending grace to other people. It's also very readable and I thought the authors were very humorous. I'm going to recommend this book to a bunch of my friends.
on June 8, 2005
This book will help you see how your own self deception coupled with the worldly Christian teaching from most of todays churches are robbing the joy and purpose from your Christian walk. TrueFaced does an excellent job of identifing the problem but falls short on what exactly to do about it. For that I would strongly recommend "Gace Walk" by Dr. Steve McVey. We are to be Galation 2:20 Christians, and these two books point the way. Both are MUST READ books, a requirement!
on June 25, 2006
I am extremely impressed with this presentation of grace. So frequently, we, the church, treat this subject as though everyone ought to know what it is to live in grace, but this book teaches us not only what grace is but how to enter it. Grace is such a foreign concept in this world and drastically contrasts what the world would have us believe. This is an awesome study for each of us to do either indivuidually or in a group.
on November 9, 2006
If you are struggling to smile and put on a "mask" when you see people then you must read this book. If you are hurting inside and have to put up a front so people see a happy you but inside you are screaming " I say I'm fine but everything is NOT fine, in fact I'm such a mess I don't know what to do!", then this book is for you. If you are a newer Christian and want to know how to get closer to God and how you can really be the person He intended you to be then get this book.We all put up walls and as the years go by they get thicker and thicker until the person we are is not the person we know we should be.This book tells you what you have to do to get "right" with God and find the peace you deserve. This book has helped everyone I know that has read it. I highly recommend it to every Christian out there!
on September 1, 2004
I have read many "self help", personal growth, and Christian books from CS Lewis, Max Lucado, Billy Graham, and Charles Swindoll to name a few. After awhile I found myself still hungry for one I could call home, and just stay with it, to re-read to continue my growth in becoming what God has made me.

This book is it.

Leadership Catalyst have something very special to share, and the founders and authors express it well in this writing
on February 17, 2007
Are you ready for something that will put you into a place where radical life changing things occur? If so, than this is the book for you. Never have I read a book filled with more truth than this one. Each sentence shows the heart of God and his desire for us to be completely vulnerble and open to him and his people. I read this book wearing a mask in front of others, and this book changed me. I just finished reading it, and am in the process of re-reading it. Get this book and watch as God uses it to speak truth into your life!
on May 13, 2011
When I signed up to read books for review through NavPress, I expected some great books to pass through my mailbox - however, I never expected them to be tools God uses to absolutely transform my life as it is states we do in Romans 12:2, "...be transformed by the renewing of your mind."

TrueFaced, by Bill Thrall, Bruce McNicol and John Lynch (and published by NavPress), is truly one of these books that have blown me away! I thought I was getting a good grasp on God grace and trusting Him, until I started reading the first chapter of this book!

I didn't do the exercises for study at the end of each chapter (yet), but I did glean through them and found that the questions asked are asked in such a way to prompt deep excavation inside yourself so as to allow God into your minds and hearts to reveal just who you really are to yourself, to Him and to others. This of course, as it is clearly stated throughout the book, is in no way meant to prompt guilt or condemnation - but to prompt healing. For, if we are ever to truly heal in our lives from the unresolved sin that gets buried often by trying to cover up our messes in life in the name of pleasing others - rather than pleasing God by simply embracing His loving grace into our lives in trust - we will never experience the true freedom of Christ that we were all given upon the days of our salvation.

Anyone who engages this book must be ready for an absolute life (and heart) change; because this book won't leave you alone...much like a good friend. These three authors are truly living in the Room of Grace (as they talk about in the book). In reading this book, you are in this room with them hearing their invitation to sit down for a cup of coffee as they tell you that you are welcomed here and that it's okay to be broken here. There won't be any judgment or condemnation upon you...and oh, by the way, they will tell you of their own brokenness as well.

I can't recommend this book enough, and I have added it to my personal study collection.

This book is perfect for the individual to use for personal study, as well as to be utilized in a small group format. The study resources can be found here. You can also visit the TrueFaced website at TrueFaced.com

-------------------------------------

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from NavPress Publishers as part of their Blogger Review Program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commision's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."
on March 5, 2011
This is a fantastic book written in a compassionately artistic way. I found myself wanting to dig out my counseling books to relive passages of unconditional love for clients that transforms destructive behavior while also wanting to read anew Lewis' Till We Have Faces. After just teaching To Kill a Mockingbird for this year, many elements inspired me to piece together thematic elements of grace, compassion, courage and love as well. In response to the person who reviewed that this was "nothing new", I respond by stating that though the literal writing and response to grace "isn't new", grace is always new, transforming, and differently unique in the life of the believer, and these authors portray it well. This book made me deeply cry and praise God throughout it for the redemption of His unfailing love, grace, and power. Isn't that really the point anyway?
VINE VOICEon April 13, 2011
It makes all the difference if our intent is to trust God versus to please Him. This book has a vast number of applications, some of which include:

Appearances:
Unresolved sin creates a nagging sense in the heart that won't go away. Unresolved sin builds up. Sin leads to Guilt; If we're sinned against, it leads to Hurt. Eventually all our masks begin to crack. Mask wearing is sometimes more pronounced in Christians than non-Christians

To please or to trust [Room of Grace vs. Room of good intentions]:
The goal of life is not for you to get all your stuff solved. When we strive to sin less, we don't sin less. God is not interested in changing the Christian. He already has. Trust opens the way for God to bring us to maturity. If we don't trust, we don't mature.

Grace works:
Do you really think God would make it so hard to live a life that would please Him? Pride shuts grace down. I already am a person deeply pleasing to God. You won't know God's power until you give up your own power, which is no power at all. We see one another as saints who sin rather than sinners who are saved. Resolving sin is only the starting point in the room of grace.
The Five truths of Grace:
1 - Humility attracts grace 2 - Grace changes my life focus 3 - Grace lets God handle sin 4 - Grace melts masks 5 - Grace changes how we treat each other and our sin issues
Striving leaves us dysfunctional and immature because it creates hiddenness. God's ultimate goal is maturing us into who He says we are and releasing us into the dreams He designed for us before the world began

Love:
Love is a solvent that lifts the masks off our faces. We feel alive and secure. In God's world, receiving love comes before giving love. Some people confuse needs with sin; they see needs as weaknesses.

Repentance:
Grace alone resolves sin. Only the power of the cross can break a pattern of sinful behavior. Grace begets repentance, and repentance nurtures forgiveness. Trying to repent without grace is like swimming without water.
Sin can not be managed. A sin-management system shuts off the only resource that can deal with sin: our trust in who God says we are, attracting the power of His grace. Isolation, pride and a wrong motive are three common inhibitors of repentance.

Forgiveness:
Forgiveness is more powerful than any government, weapon, or wealth. Purpose of forgiveness: to protect us against from the insidious harm that comes from sin done against us.
There is a sequence for forgiveness to resolve sin.
1 - Admit something has happened
2 - Forgive the consequences of the act done against you. Forgiving others for the consequences of their sin against us is usually much more difficult than the sin itself. [Harboring enables the sin that was committed against us to define us.]
3 - Tell God what happened to you
4 - Forgive the offender for your benefit [How do we know when we forgave a person? When we can offer them our love.]
5 - Forgive the offender when they repent, for their sake [Their forgiveness can't heal our hearts, yet can heal our relationship.]
6 - Distinguish between forgiving and trusting your offender
7 - Seek reconciliation, not just resolution [Grace always invites rather than demands reconciliation.]

Maturing:
Shame, Blame or Anger, for any periods of time, stops the maturing process. One of the greatest things we can offer another person is a safe place to fail. What Dream is God dreaming when He dreams about you and how can we help that dream come true? We learn to take responsibility for our influence.