5.0 out of 5 stars This stuff works and smells great!
After trying the Truefitt & Hill sample pack of every scent, my wife and I approve of 1805. I alternate using the 1805 aftershave balm with less-expensive Nivea aftershave balm, but the quality of this product is so far beyond Nivea (which still isn't bad) that it's hard to resist... expensive, but if you're looking for quality then here it is.

My list of...
Published on March 13, 2011 by Josh

3.0 out of 5 stars rendering the remaining product useless. I finally did get the cap off
My kids bought this for me a while back. While I never would pay that much for after shave, it does work well and has a pleasant fragrance.
My criticism is not of the product but the bottling. Toward the end of the bottle, there is about 1/2 ounce of product that is not accessible by pumping the cap. With most bottles, you can simply pop the top and shake a small...
Published 4 months ago by zimmer

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars This stuff works and smells great!, March 13, 2011

My list of Amazon-acquired shaving supplies:
Deluxe Stainless Steel Safety Razor and Shaving Brush Stand from Super Safety Razors
Merkur Classic Barbor Pole Long Handle Safety Razor #38 + 10 Free DE Razor Blades
Truefitt & Hill Ultimate Comfort Pre-Shave Oil, 2 oz.
Truefitt & Hill 1805 Aftershave Balm
Tweezerman Men's Shaving Brush
Truefitt & Hill 1805 Shave Cream Jar
Osma Styptic Pencil, Hemo Stop
Feather Hi-Stainless Platinum Double Edge Razor Blades 30 Ct
100 Astra Superior Premium Platinum Double Edge Razor Blades

5.0 out of 5 stars Lord Nelson would be very proud!, May 18, 2007
Stargazer (Kentucky USA) - See all my reviews
Truefitt & Hill were established in the year of 1805. In commemoration of Lord Nelson's victory in the Battle of Cape Trafalgar; Truefitt & Hill named their new beautiful fragrance 'Trafalgar' after this event.

The balm is good and thick, lasting all day. A little goes a very long way, as this is a very high quality balm. About the size of a US quarter or less usually does the trick. It is very soothing after shaving, even after using a cutthroat 'straight' razor. And really helps calm and relax the skin down after a good shave.

Now about the fragrance itself; Trafalgar is a rich but not over powering fragrance. Very haunting scent of sandalwood, lavendar, jasmin and other exotic spices, that ghost your skin with a hint of this fragrance. Warm and spicey is a good short term for this fragrance, however, the best I can say is this fragrance is haunting and authorative. Authorative as in the scent shows you are a man who is strong and in charge; but charming and civilized. This is probally why Truefitt & Hill named this after Lord Nelson's final victory?

I love Truefitt & Hill products in general, as I have been shaving with a traditional brush since I was a kid. I just found Truefitt & Hill to always hold their history '1805' to heart and keep quality number one.

On one last note, I highly recommend buying this through The Grooming Lounge as where I buy all my shaving/grooming needs. Of all the places on amazon I have bought grooming supplies, I have never once found a shoppe who has quicker delivery, best hand wrapped packaging and quality customer service then The Grooming Lounge. Truefitt & Hill as you will find are very high quality product, and it is rather nice to have a vendor like Grooming Lounge take care of your product while shipping.

Enjoy

5.0 out of 5 stars Only Brut rivals this for me and that's because of price..., January 11, 2010
This is expensive stuff but I've had the same bottle for what's about to be 3 years in Feb. A little goes a long way with this aftershave and 4-5 short pumps is perfect for me. Like my title said, Brut for me rivals this because Brut is oh...um...$35 cheaper but trust me, this aftershave is completely worth it. The scent is wonderful...so says my wonderful woman. It leaves my face nice and soft and definately not dry and scratchy. It doesn't sting unless you just gash yourself so for those of us that are DE or straight users, just be careful like usual. It's soothing properties are second to none and I'll definately be getting another bottle of Trafalgar aftershave by Truefitt and Hill when my current bottle runs out. Thanks!!

4.0 out of 5 stars nice balm, but too heavily scented, February 24, 2009
Eric A. Schmitt (Woodstock, NY USA) - See all my reviews
its a nice balm but was too heavily scented for my tastes... which is a shame cause I think its a great scent... if only they could tone it down a little, this would be GREAT.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Stuff, December 6, 2005
Brendan T. Lucey (Wilmington DE USA) - See all my reviews
This is one of the best aftershaves on the market. It manages to keep your skin moist without getting oily and I love the smell and so does everyone else I meet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Luxury will Await You Every Morning with this Balm!, March 11, 2012
I have been wet shaving for years, but recently began double edged shaving within the past two years. I have had countless aftershave balms and splashes, in addition to all of my shaving creams and pre-shave oils. This is just to give you some background that I am be no means a novice at DE shaving. My main razor is a Merkur Progress, loaded with the mighty Feather blade.

So to sum up my review of this balm, it is thick and moisturizing and smells FANTASTIC! It has an oceanic smell to it. I've had many balms before like I said but I have to say that this is my number one balm so far. I find it intriguing that the scent of this product does not irritate my sensitive skin. How they do that is beyond me, because it's strongly scented. It smells as though you are walking bare foot on the beach at sunrise, with the ocean breeze gently misting in your face. I have had many shaving products but I've yet to find a company that has better quality and consistency than Truefitt & Hill. A good one word description for their entire product line is LUXURY. If I were a celebrity, I would love to be the spokesman for their products. If it's good enough for Royalty, then it's good enough for me!

A little of this balm goes a long way, so you'll have it for a while. For my perfect shave, I use Truefitt's pre-shave oil, 1805 shaving cream, and then this balm. I follow it up sometimes with the 1805 cologne which makes you smell heavenly!

If this isn't in your shaving rotation, then you are denying yourself an undeniable pleasure every morning!

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice clean fragrance, December 11, 2010
Ron (Forest, VA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I have recently gotten back into wet shaving with a double edged razor. With a good shaving soap or cream and a fine badger hair shaving brush, the experience and closeness of the shaving process has taken a large step forward. A nice aftershave balm is the perfect way to finish. The 1805 balm from Trufitt & Hill is a very nice aftershave balm. The fragrance is fresh and clean and not at all overpowering. The fragrance lingers for awhile after application, but fades after a half hour or so. This is not a cologne, but a balm. As a balm, it feels good - creamy and smooth on application and does not feel at all "oily". A good product. A five star rating would be in order except for the expense of the product. Other products that I have tried provide as nice an experience, but at a lesser price.

4.0 out of 5 stars T&H 1805 Aftershave Balm, December 15, 2011
I must say, I really like the scent of the Truefitt & Hill 1805 aftershave balm. Subtle scent, very manly yet not overpowering, really lingers almost all day long. I only gave it 4 stars due to the price, but I have a good feeling this balm will last me quite a long time. I've got a bottle of Art Of Shaving aftershave balm, had for about 2 years, and it's only half gone, so maybe the price is high based upon that. If by this time next year I still have a nearly full bottle after using it 365 times, I'll come back and update this to 5 stars!

5.0 out of 5 stars Favorite Balm, June 12, 2013
I ordered the T&H sampler pack which had a large variety of their pre shaves, shaving creams and after shaves. Since I bought it (obviously), the 1805 was my favorite. It's a great smell and I love the way it melts/dissolves into my skin, leaving no mess like many other products.

I'm not a scent expert, so please search the web for scent reviews, I'll just say that I really like it. The Trafalgar was interesting and I might reconsider it in the future. It was a little "woodsy" to me and the fiancé, but it might be nice to switch it up. If that's your thing, I'd recommend it as it is otherwise as excellent as 1805 in regards to being a soothing aftershave balm and a great way to complete your shave.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic cool, January 10, 2014
Scott Kettner (Clarksville, TN) - See all my reviews
This is my third T&H aftershave balm and by far my favorite scent so far (Grafton). As far as moisturizing and effectiveness, it works just as well as the other scents from T&H, which is to say it works pretty well. For me, especially in the colder, dryer winter months a balm is a must rather than a splash to prevent dry skin. The scent is what I'd call a classic aftershave smell, reminiscent of the original Old Spice (as opposed to some of their newer, "hipper" scents). Now that I've tried the Grafton, I'll never be without it. I may not use it everyday, but it'll always be handy.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›