Top positive review
92 people found this helpful
Effective, natural, pleasant
on October 19, 2013
I'm a decently hairy dude that sweats a lot. There is no beating around the bush - I can smell something fierce. I've used Old Spice for the last ten years, but as I've entered my early twenties, I've needed a change. Perhaps its a desire to not smell like Fruit-island or some 'sport pheromone' product, or that OS wasn't particularly effective and sometime irritating, but I decided to look for a more mature deodorant.
So I set out to find a good men's deodorant. Criteria:
* Effective for >8 hours (workday)
* Non-staining (EXTREMELY important for nice clothing)
* 'Manly'/No smell
Sadly didn't find many good products that fit this criteria, at least from big retailers. I also wasn't very interested in totally blocking sweat using one of the 'crystal' products, hoping for a pure deodorant product, no 2-in-1's. I decided to give Truly's a try, on account of so many positive reviews.
Truly's is beyond satisfactory. It is only 4 ingredients: coconut oil, sugar (? I know right?), baking soda, and beeswax. I had used coconut oil in the past for other purposes that surprised me (hair, groin, and ... lube) which all worked extremely well, but sugar was an interesting choice. Application is simple, although not as easy as a stick, and this stuff does NOT stain at all. Absolutely zero residue. All that is left behind after application is a slight coconut smell, which is barely noticeable and lasts all day. Absolutely no BO is evident after >12 hours stints, including workouts. My suits stay unblemished, while I don't smell at all.
A warning: the first two days I sweat quite a bit, even when sitting and doing nothing. After my armpits reset and weren't fighting the anti-persperent, they actually sweat less than when I was using Old Spice. I guess the body is wiser than we are sometimes...
Product a little smaller than desirable, but still giving 5 stars. Buying a second this instant.
* UPDATE *
Still giving this 5 stars. Still using Truly's. I wanted to add a couple notes to be a little more helpful to people.
The formulation was tweaked about 5 months after my first purchase. The original formulation had some issues with temperature - when below ~60F, it would solidify similar to Coconut Oil, and be a little tough to work with. Bad for gym bags or in the car. When it was above 90, it would liquefy. The new formulation still does both, but with wider temperature ranges. To be clear, there weren't any changes to the ingredients list. The plastic 'tin' itself was changed at the same time, and isn't as strong now. Two (of several dozen) were delivered with broken caps.
I still love Truly's and plan to continue use. I am annoyed with the shipping costs, but not ready to fix what isn't broken.
* UPDATE W/ CONS *
Some people are posting negative reviews, and they are worth mentioning.
- This is definitely NOT the most consistent product. I'd put it more in the list of 'food at a supermarket' than 'industrial applicant'. The formulation changes from time to time, generally for the better. Still, it's not the most convenient material to apply.
- Temperature range is narrow. I leave it at home where it doesn't give me problems. Wouldn't be great in the gym or car where it can solidify.
- This does not appear to work well for everyone. Doesn't work well for my wife, and some other friends didn't like it. Rule of thumb: if you don't have hair armpits it may not work that well. Still works >24 hours for me on a lax day.