5.0 out of 5 stars It's not another guru fluff book; it has real meat.
This book is written by David Lindahl with small commentaries by Donald Trump sprinkled through it. The book is loaded with real meat for the avid real estate investor who wants to get started in commercial real estate investing. It's not quite a full-blown step-by-step "how to be a commercial real estate investor" as explained in
Commercial Real Estate Investing For...
Published on December 22, 2008 by Jeffrey D. Smith

3.0 out of 5 stars Good information but not specific enough.
I found myself ending each chapter wanting a step by step explanation.
Maybe the book is geared toward people already in the business.
I have read several books about residential real estate. But this one leavs me wondering about the details in what the authors are saying.
Published 17 months ago by brad

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars It's not another guru fluff book; it has real meat., December 22, 2008
Jeffrey D. Smith (LONGMONT, CO United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Trump University Commercial Real Estate 101: How Small Investors Can Get Started and Make It Big (Hardcover)
Commercial Real Estate Investing For Dummies (For Dummies (Business & Personal Finance)) (which is my number 1 favorite commercial real estate starter book -- it's almost a complete business plan), but David Lindahl comes very close to it.

My only real complaint is Lindahl's insistence on letting the real estate broker take both sides of the commission, even when the broker hasn't earned it. If I had to find the property (by searching the Multiple Listing Service or other internet websites *and* I do all of the upfront financial analysis), then I want half of the total commission as a seller price concession. If the broker brought it to me as his own private unadvertised pocket listing *and* he has already done the financial analysis for me, then he has earned both sides of the commission.

As a new commercial real estate investor, this book is an excellent addition to my library. Keep a yellow highlighter handy when you read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Foundation of the Basics for Commercial Property Investing, April 25, 2009
I must say I was slightly biased prior to purchasing this book.
I mean, with Trump slapping his 'signature' over this book, I figured
the book was definitely worth a read. Many years ago I found his Art of the Deal
book, which was a real eye-opener and tremendous confidence and motivational booster
for me in my own attempts to purchase real estate.

However as I stated in the title the books does a good job of trying to get you to understand the foundation,
or principles of 'beginning' and to get
you to do what other books of this type set out to do- to TAKE ACTION. All the amount
of reading one can do is nothing compared to actually 'cutting your teeth' and experiencing
the actual investing, purchasing, running the numbers, meeting with brokers/sellers that one must do.

I purchased my first residential single family property at the age of 21. I made 100% profit (at the time close to USD$150K) in less than 6months, because of
the Rich Dad Poor Dad books - I only wish I had read a book like this one years ago!

In summary, the book is a must-read for those needing initial education in investing in Commerciail Property (which also includes 'commercial' multi-family/multi-unit
Residential Property). You won't get a very in depth how-to, but it does provide the basics, the rest is upto you.
Take Action!

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved this book, February 25, 2009
This book completely got me off of Residential, I read a lot of books on residential, and the more I read, the more I didn't want to have anything to do with them.

Great info which touches base on multifamily investing. If you're looking for Retail, Office, Industrial, there's still good information, but half the book is geared more towards Multifamily.

5.0 out of 5 stars A truly life changing read, March 2, 2011
I actually came across this book by accident, being that Donald Trump's face was "slapped across" it, I brought it for that reason. Why wouldn't a book written by the nationally known real estate mogul be nothing short of great? But once I realized it wasn't by Donald Trump himself, rather endorsed by him, I felt a small wave of disappointment. Who was this guy Dave Lindahl? How would I know if what he had to say was nearly half as golden as the words from the Trump himself? As I continued to read, however, that disappointment quickly turned into an incredible feeling of excitement, hope and knowledge. These past few months had been rough for me. As a college student, waiting tables for cash and still semi dependent on my parents, I was starting to itch for a way out. Not only did I seek respect, independence and recognition from a successful career-I wanted wealth. Lots of it! I figured getting into real estate was one of the ways to really reach "financial freedom". Reading through the pages was a breeze for me. David Lindahl's approach in creating this book was him being as relatable, direct and charasmatic as possible. He truly spoke through his own diction and avoided sounding mundane (how about just plain boring) as many other information/how-to-based books are. I could pratically hear the tone of his voice leap off the pages and his ability to have readers feel as though he is personally addressing them is genius. I appreciate the fact that he advertised his blue collar beginnings and in a matter of a few years changed his status into a millionare. I now am more than certain anybody can achieve great wealth if they keep pushing themselves. This book will expose you to the most necessary concepts in real estate investing while elaborating on them in a broader scope. Surely, there are many things in this book that could be expanded on. Aren't they all like that? But then again, it's not about reading books until your eyes get sore but going out there and making things happen! David Lindahl gives you that confidence with a witty mixture of motivation, common sense and honesty! I owe my budding path as a real estate investor to him.
- Be sure to check out his websites like REmentor.com and MultiFamilyMillions.com. He also holds several free webinars a month and sends out several newsletters. I have discovered much more information on real estate investing through these channels. I have yet to attend his live seminars or boot camp sessions (and probably never will, they are very pricey) but I'm sure their well worth it if you have the extra money to spend. He even offers to help his students close their own deals!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another good book by the author, August 23, 2009
Mariusz Skonieczny "Author" (classicvalueinvestors com) - See all my reviews
The majority of real estate investors are simply frightened by commercial real estate. It is not that complicated, and it offers tremendous opportunities. The author says "the wealth opportunity with commercial real estate is enormous for the very reason that most people think they could never own it." It is different than residential real estate, but there is no reason why people cannot understand it. I think this book does a great job describing commercial real estate. Donald Trump is a household name, but few may realize that he relies on teams of people to make him successful. The author argues that investors should also build their teams. He breaks it down into your home team (assistants and marketers), deal team (brokers and attorneys), money team (mortgage brokers and private money partners), and property team (property managers, contractors, property inspectors, and maintenance specialists).

I liked the chapter on financing. I believe that financing is extremely important because real estate is usually financed with more debt than equity, and therefore, interest expense is the major expense. If you don't get this one right, you might lose money even if the property is operating properly. Some of the financing options covered in this book are conventional, construction, mezzanine, bridge, and hard money. Another good book that I would recommend by the same author is Emerging Real Estate Markets.

- Mariusz Skonieczny, author of Why Are We So Clueless about the Stock Market? Learn how to invest your money, how to pick stocks, and how to make money in the stock market

3.0 out of 5 stars Good information but not specific enough., July 21, 2013
I found myself ending each chapter wanting a step by step explanation.
Maybe the book is geared toward people already in the business.

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to Understand, December 22, 2008
A. Lawrence (Madbury NH USA) - See all my reviews
I found this book very easy to read and understand. If you are looking for a simple formula for commercial real estate success, you have found it. I found the authors concepts on emerging markets very useful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Commercial Real Estate Investing 101 is very informitive!, November 25, 2011
Anyone who is or thinking about becoming a Commercial Real Estate investor, this book is a must. I am a firm believer in educating yourself, before starting any Business venture. This way you are more likely to succeed, then fail in your business if you have the right knowledge you need to succeed! This is a book that has a great amount of knowledge! I would recommend this book to family and friends or anyone who is considering to becoming a Commercial Real Estate Investor! Even if you would like to know about Commercial Real Estate Investing or just stared, their is a lot of useful knowledge contained in this book!

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read., February 26, 2013
I enjoyed reading this book and the author apparently knows what he's doing. That's what I really like about the book. The author is still involved in commercial real estate not, a "one and done" investor turned "expert".

My concern is that a beginning investor might decide to start with commercial property and get discouraged or, worse, end up bankrupt. Commercial real estate is great when everything is going your way but, a small problem can get really large in a hurry. This becomes particularly acute when dealing with the big dolllars involved in commercial property. I'm not saying that it can't be done but, having some experience with smaller deals definitely helps.

By the way, I am a commercial real estate investor with over 38 years experience. Just saying...

5.0 out of 5 stars BROAD OVERVIEW of COMMERCIAL REAL ESTATE INVESTING, October 17, 2013
Commercial real estate investing 101 by david lindahl is a financial education in how to invest in commercial real estate the way successful investors like david lindahl and Donald trump invest. This book covers all the important knowledge and information and contains many lessons, principles, tips, techniques and strategies to do commercial real estate deals. People who want to invest in apartment buildings or shopping centers or other small commercial properties will learn how to profit from commercial real estate reading this book.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›