5.0 out of 5 stars Best Style Book of the Year!
This book is fantastic! It's personal, visually rich and emotionally satisfying. The author, Stacy London, takes nine women of different ages, sizes and ethnicities and radically transforms their appearances. However, they don't just dress better; they all seem to glow - as if they'd discovered something amazing about themselves.

The most striking...
Published 22 months ago by Assunta Sciarretta

3.0 out of 5 stars I like her Now
I didn't care for Stacy London before getting this book, but I've always admired her style. The book has a similar format to her show "What Not to Wear". She's witty, and gives one some decent tips, but I think this book was more of a money spinner for her than anything else, honestly. I didn't know she had psoriasis and it deepened her character through her...
Published 5 months ago by Coley

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Style Book of the Year!, October 4, 2012
This review is from: The Truth About Style (Hardcover)

The most striking transformation is that of a 57-year-old executive from Silicon Valley who looks like a mature tech nerd. Initially, she is wearing mom jeans, a saggy cardigan and has a platinum mullet. By the end of her chapter, though, she is drop-dead gorgeous! She looks so chic in a velvet suit, bold jewelry and a modern short haircut. (She also looks about forty pounds lighter just by dressing differently.)

The author works with all different clothing budgets, too. The Silicon Valley womn is steered toward designer suits while in the 19-year-old UT student's makeover shot, she's wearing straight-leg jeans, a fitted blazer and edgy boots. There's also a plus-size African American woman who goes from frumpy to chic. Then, a breast cancer survivor has a whole different set of specific body issues, so she comes to look sexy, feminine and comfortable. There's also a tiny (4'11") 26-year-old who goes from wispy and faded to having a real presence, a zing; her hair color also changes to a deeper, richer tone which really brings out her facial features.

One chapter transforms a plus-size 39-year-old who is trapped in Mommy Syndrome - subsuming herself in her family - and dressing only in black. The author pulls her from her black clothing doldrums into a tailored career mom look. Another participant has issues with her extreme height. She's 5'11" and curvy, yet she almost fades into her "before" photo background. She absolutely comes alive with fitted, colorful clothing and a good haircut. Then, there's the Missouri redhead who also retreats into all black. The author styled her, so her delicate features shined. Finally, there's a cute 48-year-old divorcee who is ready to jump back into the dating pool, but first must overcome her addiction to blah-black and wrap herself in colors that really flatter her and make her look about fifteen years younger.

While the tone of this book is similar to Stacy London's approach on her TV show, "What Not to Wear," this book adds something more. There's a gentleness and a depth. Stacy shares her own early struggles with psoriasis, a visible chronic skin condition, which makes it easy to understand how she oozes empathy for so many other women and their struggles with self-perception and style. This book feels luxurious; the pages are glossy, the pictures abound, there's so much depth and careful analysis that one can reread at will so as to understand the approach to each style situation. The actual layout - fonts, insets - are so visually pleasing, too.
This is a must-have book for any woman who wants to be true to herself and her style!

5.0 out of 5 stars What Not to Wear is one of my "Guilty Pleasures", October 3, 2012
Wulfstan "wulfstan" (San Jose, CA United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Truth About Style (Hardcover)
I don't get to watch it often enough, but Stacy London is one of the best parts with her great sense of humor and obvious empathy.

Reading her weighty hardcover book- The Truth About Style- is still a pleasure, but hardly a guilty one.

Mind you, at the start, when Stacy shares her sometimes rather painful early life, it's hardly fun, but it is fascinating reading, none-the-less. I really feel like I know her now.

She then takes eight real-life women and gives them a fashion "start-over' which does more than enhance their looks and style, it helps them regain their self-confidence.

Now sure, I personally have the style sense of SpongeBob SquarePants, but I know a good read when I read it. Fashion tips and life tips, all combined with a personal story and her fun personality. Fantastic!

5.0 out of 5 stars Required Reading for Adulthood 101, October 12, 2012
This review is from: The Truth About Style (Hardcover)
For fans of Stacy London: This book's got everything you love about her, and more. For everyone else: Get your hands on a copy of this book. This is valuable inspiration and guidance that explains the why, what and how of looking great. And looking good is not just a superficial value -- it's the cause, as much as the result, of having a healthy self-image and life.

Anyone who's seen Stacy London on TLC's "What Not to Wear" can tell you that dressing well isn't just for skinny women who want to look fancy. We all deserve to look and feel our best. Stacy London is stylish and smart (in fact a bona fide intellectual), which can be intimidating. But she's also a perceptive, expressive writer with a gift for getting to the heart of a person -- both their hang-ups and their potential. Her new book walks nine women through the process of finding their style. It's similar to the television format, but with more depth and less drama: These contributors selected themselves, so they are eager to learn. These makeovers involve more compassion than sass. The women present a broad variety of body sizes (including true plus- and petites) and ages (two are nearing 60). There is common-sense style advice (size, fit, color!) But more importantly, the "what to wear" tips are woven closely with the "why." Eating disorder survivors, perfectionists, busy working moms - her examples capture all the typical reasons that we can't or don't want to care about how we dress. I was particularly moved by the story of Janis, a cancer survivor with reconstructed breasts. Stacy is at her best - dear and deft - as she calls out post-cancer body issues for what they are and gives us real tools for feeling better about them. I've been through cancer myself, and know how a "new lease on life" can come with tremendous trepidation as to HOW to live. It can be hard to get out of sweats when you feel weak and scarred. It's hard to dress up when you're feel like an alien in a world of healthy, whole women. Janis is a serious role model, and props to Stacy for including her in the project.

My favorite story in the book, however, was this one: The woman who grew up with her psyche crippled by psoriasis - who struggled with food so much that her weight dropped to skeletal one year, then doubled the next - the woman who sobbed uncontrollably on the subway as her job was falling apart. This is Stacy's own story. As an autobiography, the book is as candid and poignant as any you'll find. If you've ever been curious about Stacy, she answers some easy questions (what's with the grey streak?) and the hardest ones (No husband and kids, girlfriend?) No wonder Stacy is so empathic: She really has been there.

Lucky for us, she's also tireless and takes immense pride in her work. While she could have cashed in with a half-baked book, she took this opportunity to bring out her best. Stacy connects the process of shopping and styling to the process of being our authentic selves. Such a valuable adult life skill, but so hard to find truly talented and kind mentors to walk us through it. "The Truth about Style" is a beautiful hardback, with poignant photographs and heartfelt request letters from participants. The text includes data boxes and footnotes, which allows for dialoging without interrupting the narrative. Each section has a summary of the challenges, solutions and next steps. The style pictures are invigorating. Of course, we can only see whether they'll look dated ten years from now -- I'm definitely saving this book for my daughter to read as a teenager.

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes Me Wish I Had A TV!!!!, November 4, 2012
Sheila Callahan (Fresno, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Truth About Style (Hardcover)
Ok I don't have TV so I didn't know who Stacey London was....what a wonderful friend to women she is. I have had this book 24 hours and already cleaned out 35% of my first closet. She's talking to me about the JOY of style...what makes joyful dressing...and she knows the emotional issues around weight gain, breast cancer (I'm a survivor), aging, working motherhood - and she hits the nail on the head. It's really about the excuses we make.... I mean, you can find style in Target and Walmart and you can find courage in this book. There are so many things I could quote from this book.....but I love it when she says "if you don't take a step the path won't appear". These are STARTOVERS not makeovers. It's a journey of discovery and you can change, change, change, make mistakes, have fun, change again. It's about joy, and about letting people see you...even if just with one handbag, one pair of shoes...one step at a time. Anyway, get this book, enjoy this book, share it with a girlfriend. Shop together, be joyful!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, great tips, great insight, May 19, 2013
S. C. (Pacific Northwest) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Truth About Style (Hardcover)
I have always been a fan of WNTW, and when I saw Stacy talking about this book on Anderson Cooper, I ordered it right away. The book covers the style and fit problems of a variety of women - all different ages, shapes, and sizes - and includes some little bits of info about Stacy's own life. It's easy for a skinny woman to tell a fat woman what she looks good in, but the advice becomes 100x more valuable once you find out that skinny woman once WAS a fat girl, and knows the fit issues you're facing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, informative and inspiring, April 1, 2013
E. Hayes (St. Louis, Missouri United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Truth About Style (Hardcover)
I ordered this book on a whim along with some other items and I don't regret it. It was an excellent read, insightful, humorous, heartfelt. You really get to know Stacy London, who I really didn't know all that much about, and I discovered she is very bright, raucously funny with a wonderful understanding of human nature, self esteem, and of course style. I am not sure how much I will refer back to it, but I will be loaning it out to friends. Many of the makeovers were absolutely jawdropping and even better was the emotional work that was done to achieve them. She chose a selection of women that many people will identify with which is also awesome. Can't wait for her next book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Helpful and good to read just a portion at a time., December 6, 2012
This review is from: The Truth About Style (Hardcover)
The author obviously has style and is sharing the truth. Her story within the book marvelously requires no sympathy and assists in the understanding of the common women's problem: think I look bad, how to dress myself to look better. Yes I gave this as a gift and kept one for myself because it is touching upon a subject no woman in my life seemed to make a decision about. After reading the book and pondering my style I cut my wardrobe down by 75% to eliminate the old style unfitting for what I wish to be viewed as today. The candor with which the author delivers her knowledge is better than an old friend who won't tell you what you need to know about what you look like because of how close the relationship is. Thanks for telling the truth, I appreciate it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Go Janis!! Thank you Stacy!!!, October 8, 2012
This review is from: The Truth About Style (Hardcover)
Having gone through Breast Cancer and Tamoxifen myself, I was surprised and thrilled when the book flopped open to Janis's story. I have to say I think that working out a style during this time is paramount in feeling better. In fact, aside from the obvious, I never looked better than I did when I was in treatment, because I took such care with clothes and makeup.

BUT, there are changes after BC, and it helps to have a stylist to navigate them. I'm so glad Stacy London addressed this issue in her book, and Janis seems like such a positive person, she puts me to shame.

Here's hoping none of you will need this advice, but if you do....

And by the way, the rest of the book is fabulous too.

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, April 16, 2013
This review is from: The Truth About Style (Hardcover)
I got this with the intention of learning more about style and it's got more of a self help/biography feel to it. However I still enjoyed the book and found it very inspiring.

It does have those makeover moments throughout the book, that isn't the focus at all though so if that's what your looking for I'd pass.

5.0 out of 5 stars What an unexpected lovely lesson on self love, December 16, 2012
This review is from: The Truth About Style (Hardcover)
I was so amazed by Stacy's story and her compassion and frank honesty with herself and others. Her writing style is witty and smart. I basically fell in love with the book and felt better about myself for days afterward. Each woman has her own story about her "flaws" and the shame that accompanies dressing. I was able to see clearly at 50 years old that my body, which I feel is esp. hard to flatter, is in fact, beautiful. I cannot thank her enough for writing this. I wish every teenage girl would read it and not waste one precious moment worrying and loathing her "flaws".
BRAVO STACY!

The Truth About Style
The Truth About Style by Stacy London (Paperback - September 3, 2013)
$20.00 $15.14