Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on June 30, 2010
After a shaky season 8 where many of the episodes were forgettable (though still a solid season), Degrassi gets back on form with season 9. Introducing new characters like twins Declan and Fiona, nice-girl Jenna and class clown Dave, and a whole lot of drama, the show takes it to a whole new level. Foundations of seemingly strong relationships are rocked as infidelity plays a big part this season, along with drugs, first times and homosexuality. A strong cast of talented teenagers take centre stage and shine, proving they can handle difficult storylines. Characters also have to handle a lot this year: Holly J softens in light of a new relationship, Riley continues his inner battle with who he is and what he wants, Anya makes a bad decision out of desperation to save her relationship with Sav, and Ally learns a hard lesson about honesty. This season has shocks, humour, fun, and heart. Anyone who claims Degrassi has 'Jumped the Shark' just has to watch this season to see the show is still going strong.
on July 24, 2010
I'm going to review the product/dvd set more than the actual season...

Picture Quality:

One of the most exciting aspect of this dvd set is that it is finally in 16:9 widescreen! For the first time, a Degrassi DVD set is in widescreen. The picture quality is pretty decent as well. It's a lot cleaner than the previous grainy seasons. It's not blu-ray quality, but it looks pretty good for a DVD set.

Packaging:

WHY!?!?!?! Why did they do this!?!? They decided to STOP doing the box sets format with little mini dvd cases! Now they decided to package the set in a HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE, CHEAP 4 disc dvd case. This dvd case is the same size as the standard dvd case. However, it is made with very, very, cheap plastic. Poor quality, China made, 4 disc dvd case. The case is so bad, that it will most likely snap in half if you accidentally step on it.

Extras:

This DVD set contains the Degrassi Takes Manhattan movie! It's also in widescreen, which is nice because TeenNick only showed it in 4:3 fullscreen. There's also deleted scenes and bloopers for both the season and the movie. One of the discs also contains "minis". They are short episodes that are like 5 minutes long each that give the whole season some depth. They are pretty funny too. There is also 3 music videos from the Degrassi movie. Overall, the extras are pretty nice.

Overall:

I felt with the deleted scenes, minis, and widescreen presentation it was a step forward, with the terrible packaging that was a HUGE step backwards, and lack of subtitles for everything is an annoy step sideways. But overall I felt this season of Degrassi was more entertaining than season 8.
44 comments|9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 31, 2010
In the 9th season of Degrassi, everyone's favorite Canadian soap "goes there" like never before. Watch reformed bad boy Peter Stone as he deals with an addiction to crystal meth, the loss of his lovely girlfriend Mia to another continent (*cough* Vampire Diaries *cough*), and the tough decision that his bandmates are forced to make when he goes too far. Watch Riley struggle with his inner feelings and his contrasting jock exterior. Watch Jane toy around with a new relationship, find a friend in an unsuspecting classmate, and pick up a new hobby. Watch the world's most dramatic couple, Sav and Anya, fall in and out...and in and out...and in and out of love again. Watch as little Clare begins to grow into her own, and Alli is as bold as ever. Watch as Holly J, the most hated girl in school, earns both a fresh start and the heart of Degrassi's hottest diplomat kid, Declan Coyne. Watch as alumni favorite Emma Nelson struggles to balance college dreams and her love for helping humankind, and familiar face Marco gains a new role at his alma mater. But most of all, watch as a superb cast of young adults continues to carry the name of Degressi high and proud, never balking to discuss the difficult issues such as homosexuality, drug abuse, religion, and infidelity. This is one of the best seasons in the nine years that Degrassi has been on television, and should you choose to purchase this DVD set, you will not be disappointed.
on March 31, 2013
I love DegrassiTNG. It's by far one of my all-time favorite shows, and I was excited to finally be able to purchase the seasons I don't already own - including Season 9.

First off, the DVD case clearly states there should be four discs - there is two. One with every episode listed, and one DVD that doesn't have ANYTHING on it, and which says "Disc Four". So, no special features or Degrassi Takes Manhattan whatsoever.

If you can get over the fact that the DVD set itself is horrific, you're still completely screwed. The quality of the episodes is horrible and looks like it was recorded with a VHS off an old television.

I'm extremely dissatisfied with the product and find it a shame that I've waited this long to buy what I think is a total piece of s*** deal. I plan on letting Amazon know to see if I can get a workable, quality product.
on July 11, 2011
As a collector/fan of the Degrassi series this of course was a must have item. However it didn't have quite the amount of extra features that previous DVD sets have had. I don't know if that is because the distributor has changed or they just didn't have as much material to add to the DVD. Either way it was a little disappointing in that aspect.
on June 30, 2014
I know it is not created for my age group (40 plus) but I love it anyway. I feel the stories are relevant and the show is well acted. Actually compared to a teen show, Beverly Hills 90210, that I watched as a young 20 something it has Much better acting...and characters that feel "real". I loved it from the first season with Emma, Jimmy etc. this season is my least favorite so far though. I do not care for the new character Declan that was introduced this season but it's not because of his acting...I just don't like the rich guy persona. Give me a Shawn or Craig over him any day.
on September 19, 2013
Degrassi the next generation is the best. The older Degrassi episodes will always win over the new ones. If you never saw Degrassi, I recommend starting out with this DVD, you won't be lost, I wasn't.
on August 20, 2014
I love how serious this show gets. It truly shows the things high school students face on a daily basis.
What I love more is they are unwavering in telling the stories, and don't apologize.
Boiling Point was especially dramatic, as the name suggests. However, it still remained honest.
The characters are amazing. The writers of this show truly know how to show the different dimensions of a person. They show you a real struggle between nature and nurture in a lot of circumstances. They also show you that people can change, which I find beautiful.
on December 26, 2014
I have seen every season of the Degrassi from 1 to 13 and currently watching 14 which i have to say is so intense... It is my absolute all time favorite tv show, i can honestly live the rest of my life just watching it !!! I am literally obsessed and dream of meeting the cast one day so on that note i have to say anything Degrassi related will ALWAYS get 5 stars plus from me... It is amazing show and i will be so heart broken when Degrassi is no more !!!
on March 7, 2011
Been watching Degrassi since I was 14 and it is a soap for teens. Deals with real teen issues in the way a teen would handle them. Whether they be right or wrong. No subject is left untouched. Its great for kids 13 and up in my opinion.