5.0 out of 5 stars Pink's back and ready to rock
Published on December 6, 2003

3.0 out of 5 stars Highly Overrated
MIZZUNDASTOOD was Pink's transitional album, undoubtedly worthy of a comparison to Madonna's early reinventions. Like Madonna, Pink ain't perfect and this album is a reflection of her daunting task to outdo herself yet again. THe first half instills high hopes, with the raucously catchy TROUBLE (which inexplicably flopped early on radio), GOD is a DJ (a surefit club...
Published on November 20, 2003 by Angelo

This review is from: Try This (Audio CD)
How do you follow an album that had four top five singles? How do you follow an album that sold twelve million copies world-wide? Let's admit it people- Pink's latest album, "M!ssundaztood" was such a huge sucess that it would be hard to expect too much of "Try This". I didn't, and I must say I was pleasently surprised. This album is an in your face, kick [..] album- just like Miss. Pink herself.
1. Trouble- This is a great song- maybe not the best choice for first single, but a great kick-off for the album. The bridge sounds sort of 60's though- it's good but doesn't seem to fit the beat of the rest of the song. The video is the best video I've seen in a long time. "Trouble" is a stiff at radio, but first singles aren't always an indication of how the album will do. For example, Christina Aguilera's "Stripped" is being reported as one of the top five best selling albums of 2003, but the catchy first single "Dirrty" was a huge flop. Grade- A.
2. God Is A DJ- This is a standout track. It's the second single, though it should have been the first. Off the wall chorus, and funny lines such as "I've been the girl- middle finger in the air" and "God wants you to get on the floor and shake that a**" lol. Grade- A+.
3. Last to Know- Very good, though is sort of a song that you would expect from Pink- very ordinary. The chorus gets stuck in my head all the time. This might be the third single but I hope it isn't. Grade- A- because it's still great.
4. Tonight's the Night- the sequal to "Get the Party Started" but a heck of a lot better. The line "Gotta get the h*** outa Hollywood cause every day here's halloween" is so true. Wonderful music. Grade- A.
5. Oh My God ft. Peaches- Oh my god I love this song!! (No joke intended). Peaches's rap is so hot. When I heard that Peaches was on the song, I was like "Whoa this is gonna be X- rated", but it's actually not too raunchy. Grade- A+.
6. Catch Me While I'm Sleeping- This is a beautiful ballad. The only thing I dislike about it is that despite its 5:03 running time, the verses end around the 3 minute mark and we get a 2 minute repitition of the chorus. Grade- B+.
7. Wating For Love- Oh God, Pink's vocals are amazing! So sweet and not scratchy at all (not that I don't love her "smoker" voice) on the verses and b-sides, and then so powerful on the chorus... Wow. A standout track. Grade- A.
8. Save My Life- Everyone seems to love this song, and I much as I like the lyrics and the message, the music is...average, for lack of a better word. Poorest track on the disc. Grade- B.
9. Try Too Hard- This is an amazing song with a message that will shut that little "female dog" with a tie (er...Avril Lavigne) up. I love the chorus, and it's kind of cool how Pink altered the chorus at the end so the critics can't acuse her of "calling other artists but not herself fake". Grade- A.
10. Humble Neighborhoods- The rap verses and the "weeeeeee don't wanna go home" is cool, but something about the chorus greatly disturbs me. Other than that cool song. Grade- A-.
11. Walk Away- An awesome song that might be a single for it is very radio friendly. It's sort of a poppish rock song, but that's ok. I love the end. Grade- A.
12. Unwind- Pink really likes Janis Joplin, and you can tell. It has a really funny line- "My life is like a fairy tale that nobody believes in". The chorus is great. It's sad that the woman this song is about died at 27 though. Grade- A.
13. Love Song- THE BEST SONG ON THE CD. Oh my god I love it!!! It's so sweet and subtle. The lyrics and the melody are outstanding. It's shortness is part of its charm. The perfect album closer. Grade- A++++++!
In conclusion, "Try This" is a fantastic album that I would recomend to anyone searching for an amazing CD by a talented young lady.

5.0 out of 5 stars PINK SIMPLY KICKS A$$!!!!!, November 12, 2003
Jonathan Vannuys (San Francisco, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I bought this album yesterday and let me assure you, it rocks!!! "Try This" goes one better than her breakout hit, "Mizunderstood", by cranking up the energy and offering an eclectic mix of songs. This is the kind of album that will make you want to drive down the streets in a convertible with the top down and a sweet moon howling above you! The beats and riffs are fast and catchy as Pink veers effortlessly between pop and rock. My stand out favorite tracks (though I love them all) are #3, "Last to Know": An in your face snarling anthem that will want to make you pump your fist in the air and shout, "Yeah!" [ #5: Is a deliscously sexy romp with underground star Peaches, # 10: Humble Neighborhoods has the best chorus since Pink Floyds "We don't need no education" and the hidden track "Hooker" is nothing less than awesome (and honestly, all of the tracks are great). This is one of those few albums that warrants spinning in your CD changer repeatedly without having to push the skip button. Pink continues to burst genre barriers and offer the world a fresh voice as she shreds pop's current paper poser dolls, Hillary Duff, Jessica Simpson's et all in her path. With "Try This", her third album, Pink definitively proves that she has the vision, the voice and the courage to be a trailblazer and that she is here to stay. Pink is charting a bold course through the wake of past pop visionaries like Deborah Harry and Madonna. She has earned the exclamation point in her name and then some!!!!! "Try This" album----you're gonna love it!

By A Customer
14. Hooker- Whoa. A hilarious song about all of the trashy pop stars in today's music industry. Keep this one away from kids though- she uses the f word about as much as she breathes in this song lol. Although I must admit that the line- "You ain't nothing but a hooker, sell your f***ing soul" is pretty funny.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pink has Solidified her Place in Rock... Not Pop!, November 11, 2003
Scott A. Fitzgerald "Bemeupscotty" (Sacramento, California United States) - See all my reviews
What America has needed for a long time now is a true female Rockstar. Well America, we have one now. This CD Rocks in a big way. As a huge fan of Linda Perry, and if anyone can tell me where I can get a copy of "After Hours" I would be grateful, "Waiting for Love" is my favorite track today. "Last to know" is awesome, but so are all the tracks here. "Trouble" is way cool, I love the video as well. "Oh My God", well it kicks A$$ too. Pink, you have a new true fan now! My hat's off to YOU.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Stuff by Pink, November 17, 2003
This review is from: Try This (Audio CD)
Pink's new CD heads in a different direction than her first 2 CD's but with the same result...great music. The harder beats provided by Tim Armstrong still seem interesting and catchy with Pink's lyrics and vocals. Pink's in your face attitude on this album comes through on almost all of her songs.
While all the songs have great lyrics and catchy hooks as well as verses my personal favorites are:
Last To Know-extremely catchy song, one of my faves, but the song is about a friend of hers that she calls a stupid f*** just because he miss one of her shows.
God Is A DJ-Awesome upbeat track, for the people who like her more dance-friendly music.
On My God-fun song, great touch to add Peaches.
Catch Me While I'm Sleeping-a great ballad, best Linda Perry/Pink calabo on the album.
Waiting For Love-my personal favorite song on the album, at the beginning the verses and the B-section builds up beautifully to the amazing chorus, which sends chills down my back. Surprised more people aren't talking about this track.
Humble Neighborhood-very unique song, chantlike "we don't wanna go home."
Walk Away-definitely one of the more radio friendly songs on this album, but I love the verses.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Thrid CD, a Third Sound, November 13, 2003
Well, she's back, and she's got a new sound, again. In her first album, she tried out the R&B scene, and then took a dip into the Pop music with her second album, and her third isn't anything like the other 2. This stuff is pure rock. Imagine No Doubt's sound, from their Return of Saturn CD, except slightly more `updated 80's' rock feel to it. The lyrics aren't filled with angst or bitter memories of her childhood, in the traditional sense. Instead, there's lots of swearing, lots of veiled and not so veiled drug references, and the mourning of her parent's marriage breakup has been replaced with an attitude, not a bad one or an angry one, but still one that needs lots of yelling. She uses her vocal range more in this CD, but not as much as she's capable of (I saw her live, and she could give Kelly Clarkson a run for her money on the powerful voice scale).
The highlights of this CD are, of course, her first single "Trouble" which is sure to be an MTV favorite, but it is the only song that has that slightly Pop feeling to it. "God is a DJ" is another good song, and will probably be her next single, as it is upbeat (except for the use of the `F' word) and has that slightly manufactured single feel to it, but never the less, it's a good song. "Waiting for Love" and "Save My Life" are also great songs, with a touch of the angst seen in a Gwen Stefani song, harder sounding then "Trouble" and "God is a DJ." You can readily tell that both `Love' and `Life' was written by Pink, as she has quite the flare for telling a story aimed at the lost and confused teenager. Although those songs are slightly interchangeable (in the way that "Like a Pill" and "Don't Let Me Get Me" are) it is hard to tell if one or both are good enough to be singles. My favorite song on the disk, "Love Song" will never be a single, as it sounds only half finished (when you hear it, you'll know what I'm talking about), but is a beautifully sounding song that more then shows off what Pink's voice is capable of.
There are only 2 songs that are, at best, painful to listen to, but mostly not because the song is bad, just because I just don't like them. "Last to Know" really greats my eardrums, and I'm not sure why. The last song "Hooker" a hidden song, is nauseating. Her voice isn't used well at all, harmony is off, and the music doesn't match the feeling conveyed in Pinks voice. I'm sure it is the hidden track as it is the worst song on the CD.
All and all, it's a great disk, and I'm glad I bought it. If you are looking for what she put out on her last album, mainstream Pop with Aerosmith doing a duet, you aren't going to get it. If you are looking for a bunch of songs by Pink, in the hard sounding style of "Numb" off her last album, you might be better prepared, but most of the music is even harder and louder then that. I'm impressed that an artist can so easily slide between 3 genres of music, which is uncommon in this age of endless one hit wonders.
Most, if not all, the CD's come with a free DVD with some interesting, but not fantastic features. The DVD is an obvious ploy to try and get people to purchase the disk, not swipe it off the net in MP3 form. The incentives on the DVD aren't enough to stop somebody from doing that. However, I bought this CD for $9.99 at Kmart, so if the choice is $9.99 for 14 songs and a free DVD, and downloading the songs for $.99 each off the net, I'd go with the DVD. I'm not sure if the $9.99 price was a fluke of Kmart's bad pricing, or if Pink is one of the artists who's agreed to roll out the new $9.99 CD's. Both the edited and unedited versions are available, both have the DVD. Be warned: if you buy the disk at Wal*Mart, the CD they offer may have not only edited lyrics, but 2 songs ("Oh My God" and "God is a DJ") completely omitted.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better Than The Last, November 13, 2003
Robby (ASTORIA, NEW YORK USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Try This (Audio CD)
I was really scared for Pink thinking that she had changed her style and would not be able to top songs like Dont Let Me Get Me, Like A Pill, and Get The Party Started. She definately has. I was suprisingly pleased with this CD. She went with a more Happy and not so Mad self. Her songs have more energy and fun. She has quite a few songs in different genres. R&B, Punk Rock, Soft Rock, and Dance. I really did not like the entire Mizunderstood album but I heard this Cd once in my car and it was great, and the songs were catchy. Usually When I hear a cd for the first time I hear a few songs and then go back to the beginning of the disk. In this case I did not have the chance, becasue all the songs were so good. I am very happy and proud of her, and although her methods and images might be a little unorthodox, well thats what makes her Pink. The Dvd has the video and behind the scenes clips, pic and lyrics. It really is not a big deal but for the same price get that version instead.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it!!!, August 22, 2004
This review is from: Try This (Audio CD)
I can't believe the amount of people who write reviews on here based on the success of an artist's previous album(s). It is ok for every album to be different, so stop with the comparing already!!! Now, onto the review. I am an avid fan of Pink and her talent. I already have her first 2 cds, and still listen to them frequently. I will say that I was one of the people who bought "Try This" when it came out in November. At first I wasn't sure what to think of it. There were a few songs that I really enjoyed and others that I wasn't so sure about. As I started listening to it more, I realized that this album is truly great. No, it's not like her first 2 albums, but that's not a bad thing. Her combination of rock and pop style makes an extraordinary album. It is also an awesome work out cd. I think my favorite songs on this album would have to be "Love Song", "Humble Neighborhoods", and "Oh My God". She really showcases her ability to produce various kinds of music and I commend her for that. Go buy the album, it's great!!

5.0 out of 5 stars You Gotta Love Pink, July 2, 2004
I purchased this one when it first came-out, and I am still playing it quite often. Pink's catchy grooves, intense vocals, sensual tone and tough girl attitude are reminiscent of Joan Jett with a funked-up beat and a dance rhythem.
"Missundaztood" is one of my favorite cds, but "Try this" works, for me. I like the fact that she is being honest with herself and doing a few songs that she obviously felt compelled to do for herself and for her art--as opposed to pleasing the masses, or perpetually doing copy-cat songs of hits, like many bands resort to.
"Try This" is worth the purchase, for "God is a Dj," "Trouble," & "Oh My God (Featuring Peaches)" --however, I love the entire cd. The Video is a really nice bonus, as well !

Try This
Try This by P!nk (Audio CD - 2003)
Rate and Discover Movies