Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 15, 2011 12:39:40 PM PST
I haven't read this book yet, only what is available in the free preview. But it seems like many of the ramifications of growing up with a BPD parent is to have it yourself. This book seems to suggest this since all of the possible traits of adult "survivors" of BPD parents sound like BPD traits - black and white thinking, "splitting," fear of abandonment, anger, etc. It says that BPD parents can be very invalidating, but one of the causes of BPD is to experience invalidation as a child.

This book seems to demonize the parents but then tells the adult children of BPD parents that these are normal reactions to growing up with a BPD parent but not to go so far is to say, "hey, if you have these traits, you have BPD."

Is this a way for the authors to try to break the cycle of BPD? To label the abuser but not label the patient? I just find this confusing and was wondering if anyone else had any thoughts on this.

Posted on May 17, 2011 7:18:12 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on May 17, 2011 7:32:19 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 30, 2014 10:08:34 AM PST
The child of someone with that disorder may very well have it themselves. If you have all the symptoms, you are pretty much considered having the disorder. But imo that person with BPD is the demon once they have children without having control over their disorder. Those with BPD who terrorize their children may have gotten the disease from being raised by a rageful lunatic but not everyone chooses have children and terrorize them daily. Those who just suffer without inflicting it upon helpless children can still have the disorder with being abusers or demons. I am a child of one of these personality disordered nightmares and have gone through DBT, etc, so I may have it or I may have PTSD etc, but the line ends me with me.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  3
Total posts:  3
Initial post:  Feb 15, 2011
Latest post:  Jan 30, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions